What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Operation Pecos Creyola (Phase 1)

Jim P

Well Known Member
Some said it couldn't be done. Not that it's a big deal flying half way across the country in an RV, but attempting that trip in the middle of winter from Seattle to Grady's GLO Custom paint shop.

I departed Monday, late afternoon, after waiting on a hole in the fog around my Puget Sound airport. In 1.5 hours, I had made central Oregon and stayed the night only to wait out the fog once again the next morning until noon. From there, it was one day trip down California's central valley to another overnight at Bermuda Dunes near Palm Springs and a total of 5.3 tach hours for the day with only one gas stop at Porterville.

Launching at dawn Wednesday AM, I stopped at the former Williams AFB (Phoenix Gateway), Odessa, TX then into Dallas for 6.8 hours that day. I figure for losing two hours of daylight, making it from SoCal to Dallas in one day was pretty decent.

Overall it was 13.8 total hours from Seattle to Dallas. See the link to the pictures as they speak really well to the weather! The airplane performed great with no major issues aside from a somewhat sticky PTT button so I'm pretty happy. I think the airplane is in good hands with Grady and I can't wait to see what he does with the paint scheme (then I get to fly it all the way back...oh..don't throw me in the briar patch!).

http://cid-0ace438c6a6f03a6.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/RV To Paint |5Jan 09|6

Where'd you stay in central oregon? I've got a house that is empty if you want to stay on the way back, I'd only want a *little* flight to check out your plane!

in bend

Awesome pics.. looks like a great trip... the route/scenery looks very familiar :) Hope the return trip will be as good or better..

Let me know when your are on your way up. You flew very close to my home airport.

Inyokern, CA (KIYK)

Jim,

When you pass back through SoCal, note that Tehachapi has THE cheapest fuel in the area, and with a 4000' field elevation, you'll save on climbout.

Also as a fellow Chapter 1000 member, there will be a bed and a biscuit too! I'll put the 170 in the corner of the hangar so your -7 can be out of the elements.

Last edited:
Hi Jim,

Congrats on First Flight and now the paint job. I have my 7 scheduled with Grady this August. I would love to have a report of sorts on your experience if you have time. I live on Keystone Ranch in San Angelo, Tx. (79km SW of Abilene or 6km South of San Angelo airport, KSJT) with 1840'x100' grass strip (5TE6).

Thanks,
Gerry Hatch

A Long First XC

Jim, my first XC in spring of 2005 was Tacoma Narrows to Chandler, AZ - my wife and daughters flew commercial and we spent 7 days in AZ while I attended a legal seminar in Scottsdale (3 days), then to Sedona for 4 days (landing on the USS Sedona was as interesting as everyone says, and my daughter Grace, then age 9, was up to the task). It was a he** of a first long trip to Chandler, with stops in Lakeview OR and Jean NV, and 6.5 hrs of hand flying in a noisy cockpit wore me out. I was very, very glad to have the wife and kids pick me up at Chandler and then adjourn to the nearest bar & grill for a very tall "refreshment" and dinner.

Fly safe, watch density altitude and those mountainous areas, and touch base when you get back - Laurie and the girls want more insignia on my -6:D

Per the question on the altimeter, the panel mounted altimeter is a cheap UMA single pointer and not even slightly accurate. In fact, the local shops won't do a pitot/static certification with that altimeter so I'm waiting on UMA's new sensitive 2.25" altimeter to replace it.

Jim,
Maybe this is off topic. but it occurred to me if others are setting thier standby alt to 29.92, and this is where the transponders derives ATC altitude from (assuming xponder is in mode S, or alt reporting) then the reported altitude to ATC will be off by 1000 feet. Thanks for the response. I wonder if others set thier standby to 29.92?

Thanks for the pictures. This "virtual" cross country made my day.

I can tell you that it's not set to 29.92 on purpose. The general practice is to set the altimeter the same as the primary altimeter. The EFIS system is accurate with no complaints from ATC, so I was just messing with the stand-by. When you're cruising along for almost 4 hours, you tend to start twisting knobs for the heck of it :D!

Jim,
Those pictures of Willy sure did re-kindle some memories. I was in class 89-02. They were my fondest memories of my 20 year career. I have landed many times at Willy in various AF aircraft since the AF base closed, but man what an opportunity to to land there in your RV! Life sort of comes full circle. I must add that to my list of airports I need to go to in my RV!

Jerry
RV-8 N84JE 290 hours nearing 2 years since first flight

Back