What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Twenty Hours in the -8!

Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
It's really great to work for an aviation organization...you can tell the guys in the office "I'm test flying, so I'll be in the air first thing in the mornings, and into the office by noon!", and they understand!

It's been just shy of three weeks in the air, and I've put the 20th hour on the plane this morning. I uncowled her for a change to regular oil (break-in complete - ready for detergent oil), and found not a single leak or drip, nothing wearing or vibrating, and all the bits and pieces just where I put them. Oh...one of the blue anodized rings on a firewall eyeball fitting had unscrewed, and was riding down on the throttle cable, but that wouldn't have had any bad consequences...just put it back on and tightened it up!

So far, I have broken in the engine, and done a first run through most of the performance testing - I have a good hack on speeds, climb rates, power settings - all the operational stuff. In addition, I've tried to check out all of the avionics as I have had the chance, and shot a few extra landings at a neighboring wide runway (our runway is closed, and we're flying off a narrow taxiway - not a place I want to be exploring handling qualities!) to get a handle on how she lands.

A few observations...

1) The GRT EFIS coupled to my Garmin 430 has been flawless! I thought for awhile that the glideslope wasn't working, but yesterday and today I slid down an ILS and sure enough, there were the needles. I had just been too high the first time I checked it, and the "needles" were off-scale. Flying with the GRT "Highway in the Sky" function as well as the traditional ILS needles is a real trip - the HiTS display makes it far easier to stay right in the center. Since I wasn't planning on landing, there was no traffic, and I was coming down from an altitude test, I hit the outer marker at about 185 knots and really enjoyed the slide down the glideslope. Very much like flying the Orbiter - only way shallower glideslope, and slower!

2) I solved my heavy left wing in about ten flights of gradual squeezing of the right aileron. I used a hand seemer, and wish that I'd been a little more careful the first time - I got some little dents where the corner of the seemer jaws were. If I had it to do over again, I'd use pieces of wood and a clamp.

3) Van's published numbers are very good. The web site claims 212 mph for the 180 HP, C/S Prop -8, at 8,000', and I have repeatably gotten 186 knots - 214 mph. I climbed up to 17,500' this morning (couldn't go higher without an IFR cleaerance, and can't do that until I'm out of phase 1), and I was still climbing at 500 fpm. Low altitude climb rates are close to 2,000 fpm.

4) Back to the GRT...one of the coolest aspects is the "percent power" computation. After take-off, I reduce RPM to 2500, and then the only thing I use to set power from then on is % power. I haven't really paid any attention to MAP - it is what it is. I never thought such a simple computation would be so useful! And the velocity vector on the PFD display is superb for sticking an altitude for data-taking. It's even superior to flying the altimeter. Put the dot on teh hirizon line, and you are dead level.

5) Ground handling, including landings, has been quite docile - as I had been told to expect. I have stayed way from much crosswind, because of the narrow taxiway/runway, but today the ASOS was callign 8 knots of cross on my return, and that was no problem.

6) I had been worried about how the cockpit temperatures were going to be, having rarely closed the canopy in flight on my Grumman for twenty years. Although I am not flying in the summer, the ventialtion I am getting from the two eyeball vents is quite good, and I expect that while it sure isn't air conditioned, the cockpit will stay pretty comfortable. I used cabin heat for the first time today, and I can say that my right leg got nice and toasty! (I only opened it up a little - I'm sure it will be fine if I need it...)

7) I have noticed some "thrumming" at certain RPM's, and I believe it to be exhaust resonance on the belly. Not worrisome, but a bit tiring. I am still using my non-ANR helmet, and figure that once I go to an ANR headset, that will control it just fine.

I'm about ready to start stability and control stuff, and expand the V-N envelope. That should keep me beusy for the next bunch of hours. I guess I'll go buy some bags of concrete to pile in the back seat for ballast. One of the guys at work wanted me to build a water-ballast system with a tank in each of the baggage compartments, and a pump to varry the CG in flight with a hose in between. Sounds really cool, but I'm not that ambitious! Besides, then I'd have to worry about a pump runaway, water leaks, Failure Mode Effects Analysis, hazard reports on the ballast system...oh, wait a minute, too much like my day job....

Hope this helps encourage all you folks that are close to finishing! I had high expectations for this airplane, and so far, it has surpassed them! (Good thing too...my Grumman sold in a week when I posted it on the Grumman Gang..so I'm back to a single airplane....)

Paul

Last edited:
Way to go

Paul?.Congratulations on the progress of your test phase. I?m quite envious and I long to be at that stage where I?m validating the flight characteristics of my own 8. I have started the building process so it?s only a matter of time.

Again?congratulations!

Donald Prater
RV-8 Empennage
N284DP (Reserved)

Flight report

Great flight report - please keep them coming. They are very motivating.

I wonder how accurate the percent power indication is

Ironflight said:
4) Back to the GRT...one of the coolest aspects is the "percent power" computation. After take-off, I reduce RPM to 2500, and then the only thing I use to set power from then on is % power. I haven't really paid any attention to MAP - it is what it is.

Paul - Thanks for the report. The GRT EFIS sounds very nice.

I wonder how the GRT calculates percent power, and thus how accurate it is. Does the manual give any insight? There are a bunch of different things they could be doing, some of them next to useless (e.g. sum of hundreds rpm + MP = 48 for 75% power), and some of them potentially much more accurate.

They could have replicated the Lycoming power chart, which is probably pretty good, but it is only valid for best power mixture.

It would be interesting to get data from a small number of different conditions, recording rpm, MP, OAT, pressure altitude, fuel flow and indicated percent power:

low altitude, low cruise power, two different fuel flows at the same rpm and MP.

Repeat at higher altitude.

We could then compare the results to the Lycoming power chart to see if that is what they are doing. The data from two different fuel flows at the same conditions will tell us whether they are using fuel flow as one of the variables.

Fly safe.

Curve Fitting - I think...

Kevin,

I am just guessing here, but what you do is populate a table in the setup software with RPM's, MAP, % Power, and altitude from the Lycoming table. The EFIS uses this to compute what you see in realtime - so my guess is that they are just curve-fitting and interpolating the table. It appears to be pretty reasonable. (Getting the data points off the table is tough without a magnifying glassis tricky for some of us with slightly "older" eyes ;) ...fortunately, Sandy at GRT already has numbers for some of the popular engines, and sent me the values for mine.)

If you set up a steady state power condition with the mixture full rich, and then lean the engine, %power does increase- along with MAP of course.

Paul

Ironflight said:
Kevin,

I am just guessing here, but what you do is populate a table in the setup software with RPM's, MAP, % Power, and altitude from the Lycoming table. The EFIS uses this to compute what you see in realtime - so my guess is that they are just curve-fitting and interpolating the table. It appears to be pretty reasonable. (Getting the data points off the table is tough without a magnifying glassis tricky for some of us with slightly "older" eyes ;) ...fortunately, Sandy at GRT already has numbers for some of the popular engines, and sent me the values for mine.)

If you set up a steady state power condition with the mixture full rich, and then lean the engine, %power does increase- along with MAP of course.

Paul

Interesting. Does it take OAT into account?

You've confused me with the description of MAP increasing when you lean the mixture. I can't picture what is happening here. How much MAP increase do you see, and why would it be occuring?

John's right (he must be - he read the manual!), it does take into acount OAT - and the table also has an altitude column, so it must use that to. Like I said - I really have no idea what is behind the comp at this point.

MAP increase with leaning? Maybe I am just imagining it Kevn, but if you start with a full rich mixstureat altitude, as you lean the engine out, it of course makes more power, and I figured that would be reflectd in the MAP (as the RPM is held constant by the prop). No? It could just be random canges, but I KNOW the power gets better as the mixture gets closer to ideal.

I am just finding that %power is easy to use because you don't have to remember pairs of numbers (RPM, MAP) when setting up your cruise- just decide on how much you'r w illign to burn to go fast (that ties in with fuel flow), and set the throttle accordingly.

Paul

With a given amount of air going through the engine (as controlled with throttle and rpm), the engine will make the best power if there is just enough fuel to consume all the oxygen during the combustion (in practice, a slightly richer mixture is needed for best power, as otherwise the imperfect fuel/air mixing means some oxygen molecules don't find a fuel molecule to react with). If you are leaner, there isn't enough fuel, so less heat is produced, and thus less power. If the mixture is too rich, the extra fuel can't burn as there isn't any more oxygen for it to react with. The extra fuel just cools things down, and the lower temperatures in the cylinder leads to lower power.

If you set the throttle and prop controls, then start leaning from full rich, the engine will make more power, until you reach the mixture for best power. Then the power will start decreasing as you go lean of best power mixture. But these power changes aren't due to changes in manifold pressure. They are due to changes in the fuel/air mixture.

I have a hard time imagining why the manifold pressure indication should change as you lean. But, you are the guy staring at the gauges, and I'm just sitting in a hotel room staring at my computer screen. So, if you are sure the manifold pressure increases when you lean the mixture, I have to accept that. I just can't understand it.

Back