What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Airparks near Charlotte

Fly4fude

I'm New Here
Hi all!

I've been reading this site for years. I'm looking for an airpark with available lots so I can get started on an RV-8. Any suggestions you all may have would be greatly appreciated. I'm thinking hard about Gold Hill and a place called Chandelle Estates. Again, if anyone has any first hand knowledge about either I'd love to talk with you!

Scott Wallace

Last edited:
Several RVs at Gold Hill... Smokey has an -8 and the Orndorffs now live there too.. it's a really nice place.. they can give you more info... not that far from Charlotte by plane :)

NC Airparks

You and I are on similar life paths; my wife and I have the same plans. Take a look at www.nc-airparks.com. Geneva Allen who runs the web site is a real estate agent who specializes in airparks in NC. She is expanding her "range" to include SC and eastern TN.

I have exchanged e-mails with her about several airparks and we are planning a scouting trip to that area the last week of March when we will meet her.

John Ciolino

Scott,

I just sent this list to a friend who had the same question:

Lake Norma (14A) - Public use w/ an FBO paved
Long Island (NC26) - Private grass strip right on the lake with lake access and docks
Miller Airpark (NC30) - Private grass strip
Gold Hill (NC25) - Private paved strip
Laney?s (N92) - Grass strip near IPJ
Aero Plantation (NC21) - Private paved strip

There is always Bradford (NC05) - Private grass strip, no housing.

Whichever strip you select, try to get one outside of Mecklenburg county as the county taxes will kill you! I the only airport I listed in the county was Bradford. I think NC21 is outside the county, which is a good thing.

Hello again,

Thanks to everyone who responded to my question. I've actually used NCAIRPARKS.COM extensively. There are several fly-in communities that either do not have a web site, or it is not published. As a result it is difficult to get enough information to make an informed opinion on which ones to visit.

I'll gladly coordinate a good time to call for those who offered their telephone numbers! Thanks again. . . .I look forward to being an active builder/flyer with such a great organization and group of people!

Scott

Hi again,

Thanks for all the folks who offered to let me give tham a call and chat. The last few days have been crazy. The USAF has moved my wife's report date to Vandenburg up by four months. As a result we are scrambling to get the house ready to sell and figure out some kind of childcare arrangements.

It looks like I'm going to have to get back on the road with NETJETS before I have the time to place any calls.

I want to thank everyone again for their help and to let you all know I'm not blowing anyone off. . . . .simply crazy busy!

Scott

NC Airparks

Scott,
I spent 10 years living in Marchmont Plantation airpark just south of Winston-Salem NC. I sold the house I built there last year due to downsize,however, I still live a mile from there. I know of two homes for sale in the community, one of which is on the runway. It is located in Davie Co.N.C.(low taxes) and is a gated community with a 2500 ft lighted turf runway. Drive distance to KGSO is approx 40 miles, and KCLT is about 80 miles. Look it up on one of the Satellite websights and enter Marchmont Dr.,Advance NC 27006. Feel free to drop me a PM if you would like more info. The Marchmont identifier is 6NC8.

Bill Englert
RV-4

Bill,

Thanks for the information. My wife has recently had her assignment pushed forward by six months, and as a result we are madly scrambling to get our current home ready for an attempted sale. Our plans on traveling around the Carolinas and Tennessee to visit various airparks has taken a back seat to our impending move. I greatly appreciate all the inputs, and I hope no one will be surprised if a fellow RV-er calls unexpectedly several months from now.

Thanks again for all the info!

Scott

Back