What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mid Georgia Aviation

bsacks05

Well Known Member
This afternoon I spent about 45 minutes at the airport - 30 of which were spent doing touch and goes in the pattern. Anyway, in that short span of time there were quite a few planes and people around: Wally was working on his Fokker Dr.1 replica, Brad was in the pattern in his Kitfox, Mike was getting underway with his PA-12 Supercruiser, a pair of Zodiacs were there, a Warrior was #2 behind me to depart, and a Challenger was in the air as well.

This scene is not untypical for a nice weekend evening with temps in the 70s. Perry-Houston County (PXE) is a really nice country airport with good people.

Grass roots aviation is healthy here and has been improving steadily in the three years I have been based at PXE.

Life is good. :)

Let's hear about your local flying scene. Is it doing well or is it on life support?

Last edited:
different

savannah isn't particularly receptive to small planes. there is a certain amount of fraternity among the aircraft owners, but I think most of us really wished we were based out of an airport similar to yours. I have friends in high latitudes who have a wonderful airport from which to operate- - though few (and getting fewer) airmen and active planes. sounds like you have it pretty good up there- - need to make visit soon.

Smoketown is alive and well:D
We have only one RV ( me:) )
But we have Wacos a bunch oh old rag taildraggers a couple PTs and a really great group of pilots and a very very good airport owner and manager

Farmerville, LA (F87) is alive and well!
We have 5 RV's on the field and RV guru Glen Barron.
I base my RV here even though it means driving an extra 15 minutes each way verses keeping it at my hometown airport, Ruston (KRSN).
The atmosphere at Farmerville is TOTALLY different!!

Here's a few photos from this weekend.

flying1309030ps1ahk0.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
This is my best air to air shot to date.

1409047cxn1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Rene' Dugas stopped by in his Turbine Legend

flying1309038akg3.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
You can see the landing judges with their scorecards:D

Last edited:
Farmerville, LA (F87) is alive and well!
We have 5 RV's on the field and RV guru Glen Barron.
I base my RV here even though it means driving an extra 15 minutes each way verses keeping it at my hometown airport, Ruston (KRSN).
The atmosphere at Farmerville is TOTALLY different!!

Here's a few photos from this weekend.

Rene' Dugas stopped by in his Turbine Legend

Mark,
Did Rene once have a Velocity he built? His name rings a bell.

Tony,
Yes, and he still has it!

Mark

I thought the name was familiar. He flew down to Slidell, LA for our airshow a few years back. I was in charge of judging that year and I remember his Velocity was immaculate. It made awarding 1st place a breeze! I doubt he remembers me, but tell him I said Hi!

We have not had greater than 800' ceilings here in north Georgia since Dec 31st. I haven't seen the sun or my airplane in a week. :(

What about January 1 for flying?

We have not had greater than 800' ceilings here in north Georgia since Dec 31st. I haven't seen the sun or my airplane in a week. :(

Sid,

What were you doing on New Year's Day? I came down from the Chattanooga area to McCollum Field (KRYY), picked up my youngest son, then flew around the Atlanta Class B on the west side, down to Peachtree City (KFFC) for lunch with my oldest son and his family. It was blue skies all day with some headwinds and light chop coming south below 3,000 MSL.

Photos and text about that flight are on my web site at this URL:
http://www.n2prise.org/rv9a289.htm#Jan1

Mark,
Very nice pictures! I like to boast that I beat a Turbine Legend from Lake City to Lakeland a couple years ago on the way to SNF. :eek:

Short version: the Legend departed Lake City just before me, however he needed jet-A which was only available in Gainesville due to the fires in south Georgia. Unfortunately for him, Gaineville was socked in with fog and he had to return to Lake City to wait it out. I flew my -9 direct to SNF and was there to greet him when the Legend arrived hours later!

The Turbine Legend is a beautiful aircraft and the pilot from Canada was featured in Sport Aviation's coverage of SNF that year.

Back