What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Smith & Wesson LED Flashlight

Bryan Wood

Well Known Member
Just thought I'd pass along a great find. My son bought me a Smith & Wesson Galaxy 28 LED Flashlight for Christmas. Wow, this thing is amazing and the overall quality is very, very good. It comes with 20 white LED's, 4 red, and 4 green. Obviously from the way this thing lights up the dark LED's have come a long way in recent years. It comes with a carrying case that can be worn on your belt, or the velcro straps could be used to place it in your plane easily. When you purchase a flashlight for your RV spoil yourself and get on of these. ;)

I bought one last week at Big 5 for $21 on sale. Great little unit.

One thing I haven't figured out is, what's the green for?

Heinrich Gerhardt
RV-6, flying, almost 200 hours...

I called my local...

I bought one last week at Big 5 for $21 on sale. Great little unit.

Heinrich Gerhardt

...Big 5, and they said the $21 sale flashlight is a S&W Galaxy, but only has 12 LEDs.

Is yours really the 28 LED model?

Heinrich Gerhardt

according to the website...

Smith & Wesson.com said:
One of the most versatile flashlights on the market today, the Galaxy 28 LED, is a step above anything you've seen. This flashlight comes with 20 Ultra Bright White LED's, 4 Red LED's for night vision and 4 Blue LED's for low light veiwing. This flashlight features the latest MSAT switch technology which allows the white LED's to operate on one switch while the color LED modes are activated on a separate switch allowing the user to never second guess losing natural night vision.

i don't know what the green LED's are for. :confused:

...Big 5, and they said the $21 sale flashlight is a S&W Galaxy, but only has 12 LEDs.

Is yours really the 28 LED model?

Nope, it's the 12 LED version. I didn't look at Bryan's post clearly enough before I replied... That said, the 12-LED model is way more than enough for cockpit duties.

Heinrich Gerhardt

Green LEDS

It depends on the color green being used. I have a Sure-Fire flashlight that has "Yellow-Green" LEDs that are NVG compatable. They are not as bright as regular green LEDs but don't hurt the eyes under nogs. I would rather have geen or red than blue in an aviation flashlight because of IFR maps washing out if I really needed it.

Flashlight

Just ordered the 28 LED version (Galaxy 28) from Optics Planet via internet for $35.50 including shipping. Will comment on quality/usefulness after a bit. Bill

Nope, it's the 12 LED version. I didn't look at Bryan's post clearly enough before I replied... That said, the 12-LED model is way more than enough for cockpit duties.

Heinrich Gerhardt

I have used a 2 white and 1 red led head light from the camping section and have plenty of light...............

So......... the 12 would be way more than enough!

Back