What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cleaning QB interior for paint

RVG8tor

Well Known Member
I need to prep the interior for paint. I am wondering if there is a solvent or cleaner that will prep for paint but not remove the QB primer on the kit. I do not want to use soap and water because I don't like the idea of water getting into the small seams, where I think it would just cause problems in the future. Acetone takes off the primer as one might expect. Does anyone know of anything that will clean the surface but leave the primer mostly intact? My thought right now, if there is nothing else to use, is to wipe everything down and just apply a light layer of primer before paint. I am using Rustoleum "hammered" paint for the interior. Thanks for any help, as usual I am hoping to learn where others have been pioneers. I did do a test patch over the QB primer by just wiping lightly with denatured alcohol and it seems to hold up well.

Cheers

Rustoleum Hammered Interior

Mike

I am not QB but that is what I did using the Rustoleum Hammered Bronze as well. Seems to of worked out ok.

I wiped down the interior with Coleman lantern fuel, actually it was a generic version I picked up at Wally World. I believe it is primarily naptha. I then used Sherwin Williams rattle can self etching primer, and top coated it with Sherwin Williams Jet Flex. I'm very happy with it so far.

Generic Cleaner Works Fine

I just used a generic clean/prep from NAPA, just wipe, then top coat with jet glo. Works and looks great.

Soap and Water

Van?s addressed this issue in a recent RVator. They clean with soap and water with very mild abrasion so as to not remove the SW wash primer. Rinse and dry thoroughly. They then prime with the primer called for by the finish coating and follow with the finish coat.

Most paints recommend against using mineral spirits and other solvents to prep as this leaves behind oils when the solvent evaporates. Rustoleum makes this same point and recommends cleaning with soap and water before priming.

I followed this advice on my QB, painted with Rustoleum and so far am happy with the results. The finish has proven to be very durable during subsequent building activities.

Yep... Just a spray bottle with mild soap and water solution, wipe dry.

>> ??? Paint... who wants paint in a light sport plane...? :confused:

Van?s addressed this issue in a recent RVator. They clean with soap and water with very mild abrasion so as to not remove the SW wash primer. Rinse and dry thoroughly. They then prime with the primer called for by the finish coating and follow with the finish coat.

Most paints recommend against using mineral spirits and other solvents to prep as this leaves behind oils when the solvent evaporates. Rustoleum makes this same point and recommends cleaning with soap and water before priming.

I followed this advice on my QB, painted with Rustoleum and so far am happy with the results. The finish has proven to be very durable during subsequent building activities.

Chuck... or others...

Any idea which RVator this was? Is it online. I plan to paint the interior of the QB 10 this weekend and I'm debating whether to shoot it with DX1791 before sealing/painting. It appears this isn't required for the parts that have already been self etched...

Thanks,
Doug

prep sol from any auto paint store.

These answers were correct (IMHO).

I just used a generic clean/prep from NAPA, just wipe..

Prior to paint, wipe in one direction allowing the wiper to accumulate any surface dust and junk you don't want in the paint.

Most paints recommend against using mineral spirits and other solvents to prep as this leaves behind oils when the solvent evaporates.

Personally, I use PREP SOL, a Dupont Product that works perfectly and seems to promote adhesion too.

I don't agree with this answer.

I wiped down the interior with Coleman lantern fuel,

I have no idea what's in lantern fuel & I wouldn't use a product not specifically designed for painting in my jobs. Don't invite problems, better to spend a few bucks and buy a compatible cleaner.

Once upon a time I used a lacquer based spot filler putty on a 57 Chevy. The finished job looked good for about 6 months, then the spot putty shrank enough to tear the paint.

You can force dry prep sol in seconds with an air nozzle.

Use the best.

Barry
Tucson

I haven't painted as many....

You can force dry prep sol in seconds with an air nozzle.

Use the best.

Barry
Tucson

...cars as Barry, but I have to disagree with his techniques using Prep Sol....:)

The product is really good, but DuPont recommends applying the liquid and quickly wiping it off with a second dry cloth. The Prep Sol will dissolve the c*%p on the surface, and the second clean cloth will take it off.

Drying the Prep Sol with an air blast doesn't really get rid of the c*%p, it just re-distributes it on the surface.

This is what DuPont says on it's use....

http://pc.dupont.com/dpc/en/US/html...b/product/dr/ChromaSystemLV/H-19397_3919S.pdf

ditto

Mike I used the NAPA clean/prep as well on my QB, and painted with a Rustoleum hammered finish. It looks great and stands up really well. Just make sure you use the correct thinner for the Rustoleum. I mistakenly used the wrong mineral spirits on my first batch, and it peeled off quite easily. I had to repaint.

I just used a generic clean/prep from NAPA, just wipe, then top coat with jet glo. Works and looks great.

Some good inputs

The latest inputs are really good, too bad I did not have them a few months ago. I ended up using, Namptha to wipe down the surface. I then used a spray bottle with a dish soap; sprayed, wiped, rinsed and let it dry. I am very pleased with the results. The only messed up areas I had were from me messing with stuff before the paint set up really well. I have worked in and around mine doing the fuel lines and sitting in and out to test fit stuff and no problems with chips or scratches. I have rubbed some off but that was due to metal tools scrapping things. I know it is not the hardest of finishes but with the hammered texture it is easy to touch up and I always know where to find the paint, (any home improvement store). Time will tell if this was the right choice.

My log site has a separate section on the painting if you wan to look:D

Last edited:
Back