What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Anyone familar with Spruce Creek

638RS

Well Known Member
My wife and I will be driving around Florida in late February and I wanted to show her the Spruce Creek community near Daytona Beach (ulterior motive). I see that it is a gated community with restricted access. I really don't want to take a Realtor time just to give my wife a tour of the place. Any suggestions on gaining access to drive through ?

Any information would be appreciated

Richard
r123 (at) Gmail.com

Last edited:
Just ask....

Richard, I did the same thing a few years ago when I was down at Deland doing some training. I just drove up to one of the main gates at Spruce Creek and told them what I wanted to do. They gave me a temporary paper pass for the glareshield. That easy.

Cool place... leave your checkbook at home!

Gordon

N144GP

Thanks Gordon

Some gated communities will only let you in if you are visiting a specific property with a Realtor. My wife and I are thinking of relocating back to Florida and I wanted her to see a fly in community during our visit.

Be sure.....

.....to contact Keith Philips......the president of their EAA chapter....one of the most active and biggest in the country. He lives there and is an ex-military supersonic pilot/instructor and has an SX 300.

Regards,

I've heard that it is a rather "uppity" place, lots of covenants and rules about what you are allowed to do with and on your property as well as a dress code. Only hearsay, perhaps someone can confirm or debunk.....

I'd also be interested in hearing from a Spruce Creek resident. I have been considering moving south for a while now and Spruce Creek looks very interesting. I am not a homeowners association fan myself, but I am willing to listen when it involves a fly-in community. It might be a good idea for me to cool it with my cross dressing anyway...:D

George

spruce creek

been to spruce creek a few times (I'm only about 12 mile north at Ormond) not a real "warm bunch" they all seam to only associate with other creek people.Considering they have over 40 Vans aircraft flying or being built and no builders or pilots contribute anything to VAF.that should tell you something

I moved to Spruce Creek a couple of months ago. Based on some of the mails there are a lot of misconceptions/myths about the place. If I'm around when you are in the area would be happy to give you a look around.

Am I missing something, or

is there a difference in the two "signatures"? I'm probably blind.:eek:

If you use the Signature feature on the forum, it'll always show you the current one, no matter when the post was made.. so in your case, both showing same signature (FL location)... so Pete can hold off on that LASIK :)

Very few "Uppities" that I know of in the "Creek" - lotsa' retired airline, military, corporate, professional, business, etc., but I've yet to meet any "Uppities". Try showing up at one of our well attended EAA Chapter 288 meetings and get the feeling that you're not one of the crowd. Try building an airplane with the hangar door open and not having an experienced crowd of aviator-builders there to help. Try not having a particular aircraft tool or part and having to wait more than an hour for someone to show up at your hangar with the required item. Try having a family tragedy without everyone turning out to help (ask me how I know). Try driving your golf cart down any of our roads and not getting a friendly wave and a smile from passing pedestrians and motorists. I guess what I'm saying is, come visit and make your own decision - you'll never leave. Call Tom Agin, Keith Phillips or myself and we'll be glad to show you around (both Tom and I both are building -8's - Poor Keith only has 5 non-RV airplanes).

BTW, the dress code here is shorts during the summer and Levi's (relaxed fit) during the winter.

Bill Zaun (386) 235-7367

..Absolutely one of the neatest places..

...to live in or visit. A friend of mine has a hangar/home next to the chapter president and we visit there often. Whole buncha airplane guys/gals.

Regards,

Good guys!

I have a friend that lives down there too and he recently invited me to come spend a day. I met a ton of great folks including the EAA Chapter President and a bunch of RVators. The 'Creek' is a tight community and I can see how a visitor might misinterpret this, but I found everyone to be super-nice and TOTALLY into flying! The demographic is as mentioned, lots of retired pro-pilots, ex-executives, and current or ex-business owners.

I got to ride in the back seat of my friend's beautiful Rocket (HRII) and flew some really good formation with a couple of very recognizable RV'ers from down there. At first I was flattered they would go flying on my account, but I soon realized they do this virtually every day!!! The formation included a retired United Captain, a retired Delta Captain, and a retired TWA Captain (my friend). Probably 75,000 hrs of flight experience in that element and it showed!

I would love the opportunity to live there some day. On a nice day, it's like a mini Oshkosh.

This is one of the places these guys go to roost after a distinguished career - as it should be!

FP10012009A00073.jpg

FP10012009A00074.jpg

FP10012009A00076.jpg

You can read more about it here:
story here

I've heard that it is a rather "uppity" place, lots of covenants and rules about what you are allowed to do with and on your property as well as a dress code. Only hearsay, perhaps someone can confirm or debunk.....

That's always what I thought...until I visited.

I flew up a couple of years ago to renew my CFI after I accidentally let it expire. I flew up in a borrowed Archer and met with a D.E. who lived there. However, when we went to fly, the Archer wouldn't start. While we were messing with the starter in the 90 degree heat, a gentleman came by and asked what we were doing. After explaining to him my situation, he offered his Cessna 150 to use for the flight. I took him up on his offer, flew the checkride, and all he would take for it was a few gallons of 100LL. Later, while I was waiting for my ride home (the Archer was grounded), I met several retired airline guys at the restaurant on the field. After consuming several beers with them and sharing airline stories, I realized that this was a place I could get used to.

Don't let the home prices fool you; there are some great people living in Spruce Creek...

panhandler..

Hey Brent,
I'm glad you finally got to sit in an RV-8, but it sounds like you flew the formation in the Rocket. If that's the case, we need to do something about it. Just let me know and I'll get my Cincinnati River Rat buddies to come to Columbus (Delaware?) and show you what a formation looks like inside my RV-8. It's in the paint shop right now in Phillipsburg, but should be out in a couple weeks. Mine is a fastback so the view is awesome - especially in formation. When you get around to paint, you might want to consider Terry Dunlavy in Phillipsburg. He's been painting planes for 30 years and did a beautiful job on Jon Thocker's RV-8 (pictures here). Plus it's close to home, so you can drop in and check progress. Keep 'em flying at NJA, and let me know if you want a ride.

Scott Hersha
RV-8 Fastback in paint shop

Sounds good!

Hey Brent,
I'm glad you finally got to sit in an RV-8, but it sounds like you flew the formation in the Rocket. If that's the case, we need to do something about it. Just let me know and I'll get my Cincinnati River Rat buddies to come to Columbus (Delaware?) and show you what a formation looks like inside my RV-8. It's in the paint shop right now in Phillipsburg, but should be out in a couple weeks. Mine is a fastback so the view is awesome - especially in formation. When you get around to paint, you might want to consider Terry Dunlavy in Phillipsburg. He's been painting planes for 30 years and did a beautiful job on Jon Thocker's RV-8 (pictures here). Plus it's close to home, so you can drop in and check progress. Keep 'em flying at NJA, and let me know if you want a ride.

Scott Hersha
RV-8 Fastback in paint shop

Scott,
I'll take you up on that! Let me know when and where (Delaware is fine). Your airplane looks great - can't wait to see it out of the paint shop! Take care and thanks again!

There a feature about Spruce Creek Fly-in in each issue of the free online aviation and motorsport magazine - Speedi Wings & Wheels.

It's the "News from the Barn" feature and in the latest issues it's on pages 49 through 57.

Visit www.speedi.tv and follow the links to view the present issue and also past issues of the magazine.

BTW - photos and stories about all types of RV's are always welcome for publication - please send to [email protected]

Back