What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Polishing

N941WR

Legacy Member
It looks like it will be some time before I get my plane painted so my loverly wife is going to give me some Nuvite (Grade S & Grade C) to polish the plane with.

I have a 10" orbital car buffer that will work fine for the rough stuff and I already have a 5" random orbial DeWalt palm sander that should work for the finish work.

The question is, do any of you know where I can order 5" hook & loop (Velcro) wool pads for the DeWalt sander?

Thanks!

Borrow mine?

Bill,
I sent you a PM inb case you wanted to use my polishing tools this winter...I will not be using them until Spring.
Doug

...I will not be using them until Spring.
Doug
Doug,

Thanks for the note. I spoke to my Mom there in Midland and she said they have had a LOT of snow. She is more or less stuck in her house.

Take care, stay warm, and have a very Merry Christmas!

snow crazy

Bill,
I drove through Midland Friday and it was nuts....20 mile an hour driving on an expressway makes me wish I was in my 8...
We have so much fricken snow right now...blew my driveway twice today and twice yesterday....24 inches of white gold in the last 36 hours....No more Dreaming of a white Christmas....
Merry Christmas to you and everyone else
Doug

It looks like it will be some time before I get my plane painted so my loverly wife is going to give me some Nuvite (Grade S & Grade C) to polish the plane with.

I have a 10" orbital car buffer that will work fine for the rough stuff and I already have a 5" random orbial DeWalt palm sander that should work for the finish work.

The question is, do any of you know where I can order 5" hook & loop (Velcro) wool pads for the DeWalt sander?

Thanks!

Hi Bill,
I did as you're planning and polished with Nuvite. I did 2 passes with course, 1-medium, & never got to the finish pass. I spent alot of time on just the wings and never got to the fuselage. Four months later, I began to see sections of oxidation. My plane is hangared and I live in Florida with lots of humdity. I've now abandoned the polishing idea in favor of getting paint on it. I never kept track of the hours, but I can tell you this, it was alot. Also, the sun reflecting off the wing in flight is brutal. You may be better off to use the Checkoway method and leave as is until you're ready to paint. IMHO, the paint prep is by far less painful.

Last edited:
Back