What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Throttle cable routing for IO-360-M1B with Airflow Performance FI

David_Nelson

Well Known Member
Hi All,

Working on the throttle cable routing for the above configuration on a 7A with a Mattituck TMX-360-M1B.

I'm eyeing a boss mount on the sump with two -3 holes that is just under the #2 intake tube. I'm thinking of extending that forward by about 2-3/4" with some 1-1/5 x 1/8 stock and attaching the throttle cable to that. Problem is, the boss is slightly tapered (thicker at top than at the bottom) so any bolts will not sit flush. I'm concerned that this will eventually lead to a bolt failure.

acu.jpg

What are others doing in this area? If you've got pictures, that'd be great!

Thanks,

Last edited:
This may or may not help. I installed the homemade cable brackets to attach points on the bottom of the sump. They are centered from the firewall as much as possible.

This may not work with your cross over exhaust pipes unless the pipes are lower than they appear in the image.

I have 4 individual pipes which do not cross over and clutter up the area beneath the sump.

fm200bracketbus3.jpg
[/URL]

This may or may not help. I installed the homemade cable brackets to attach points on the bottom of the sump. They are centered from the firewall as much as possible.

This may not work with your cross over exhaust pipes unless the pipes are lower than they appear in the image.

I have 4 individual pipes which do not cross over and clutter up the area beneath the sump.

Hi David,

Nice work. As you pointed out,the crossover exhaust does limit the space pretty much. Out of curiosity, what kind of sump is that?

Thanks,

Front view (extra bracket above cable connections is for electronic ign. coils):

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/235/picture003lz9.jpg

Side view:

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/4590/picture004ek1.jpg

This is how a friend of mine routed his cables (IO-360 not angle valve):

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/3275/p7040032xe4.jpg

Dan

Hi Dan,

Now that's some fancy work! From the side view, it looks like the boss under the #2 intake is machined so that it's flat. Did you do that or did it come that way?

Thanks guys for sharing. You've both given me some ideas that I need to try out. If you know of anybody else with a similar setup, would you let them know I'm interested in knowing how they approached this.

Thanks,

For what it is worth, Don at AFP reversed my purge valve operation so the cable could be hooked up straight through the aft baffle, rather than the side entry as per third image.

They did it the same day it arrived and shipped it back that day.

Followup Solution

Thought I'd post my solution in case anybody else heads down this road.

What I ended up doing was 1) ordering a 2nd VA-173-PC IO-360 Throttle Bracket from Van's 2) ordering a 2" extension from ACS (P/N 10376-2) and 3) having AFP reverse the mixture throw. The standard Van's throttle and mixture cables pass through the firewall just above and on either side of the gear leg socket (7A model). The only real work I needed to do was to cut a 2nd pass through and add a little bit more bend to one of VA-173-PC brackets to keep it from hitting the sump. Also, I've verified that the mixture arm doesn't interfere with the cowling, and I've plenty of room to add heat shields.

If you order your engine with the AFP, request to have the mixture reversed and that should save some $$. Otherwise, the cost was less than $20 and very little time/effort to put it together.

afe.jpg

More details and images are on my build log (see signature).

/\/elson

Last edited:
Back