What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Ground while painting

pat

Well Known Member
I have a questions for all the pro painters out there. Do you ground the airplane while painting? I have seen auto shops ground the auto to keep the static down, they claim its what attracts all those suicide bugs, dust ect... The theory (or fact?) is that as the material is atomized and sprayed there is friction created at the nozzel which inturn increases static electricity. Grounding the object will minimize the static thus minimize contamination.

I also heard that grounding is a must if spraying metallics. If no ground the metal flake will tend to stand in the paint thus less luster, If grounded the metal flake will lay flat and improve luster.

thoughts or theories appreciated.

My father in law, said they did it at the Air Force maintenance facility....................and I started grounding too, after a giant clump of **** jumped off the visqueen wall onto my newly painted wing.

I only had one plastic wall, as I heard that could be a source for static problems.

L.Adamson

edit: the word was only c-r-a-p :)

Grounding can help but...

Makes little difference if you don't have a crazy clean booth and subject. The most important thing is that you blow out all of the seams very well, clean the floor with water and squeegee, tack-cloth religiously, change the hanging plastic if it gets any paint sticking to it (the paint can flake off with even a little breeze from the paint gun or fans). If you use plastic to cover up portions of the airframe, get the 3M stuff made for painting and replace it or cover over it between coats.

To get the best results with metallics, get a tip designed for them and keep the paint agitated in the cup. Gravity has a big effect: keep multiple pieces that will have metallic colors in their proper attitude for painting. If you stand the cowl up on its firewall end for painting, the metallic may not match the fuselage once you rotate it back to horizontal and bolt it up.

2 cents from a guy with about a dozen hot-rods under his belt (actually, I'm really looking forward to painting my -9 when the day comes!)

Forrest

didnt think of that one

Forrest, done all you have said except keeping the part in the proper attitude. so often we place objects for ease of painting and dont think of orientation when its done. very important. thanks,

Metallic Paints

One other thing to be careful of when using metallic paints is if you put it on to wet the metallic will stand on its edge in the paint and wont reflect as good as it should.

All components should be grounded. I run a wire wrapped around the air hose from the gun to the turbine or compressor. The airframe should also be grounded. A static charge can be carried from the spray rig and create a pretty good arc to a grounded surface. HVLP turbines are even worse due to the large diameter plastic hose with large volumes of air. It can create a pretty good charge. I have the USAF mentality as well...ground the airframe, ground the spray equipment..ground everything..I still can't get away from the triangle refueling ground method although we never pass as much gas as a line truck does when filling up a fighter. Of course some will say nay...but I know I won't get a spark at the point the material hits the airframe when spraying...it's worth the few dollars of wire to keep the bad electrons heading to ground. But heck, I carried ARD-863 impulse carts in my pocket until I heard of this guy who lost a valuable part of his anatomy due to static electricity...I used a cart can from that point on..You 462's know of what I speak.

Static Spray

They also make a static spray that is under the PPG line. I have used it in several paint jobs. It immediately removes static from the panels. You just put it in your spray gun and mist it on the plane. I have grounded several planes and autos but have not seen much difference in quality. But that said I use a professional spray booth. The plastic that is used in the automotive business for covering cars while spraying do seem to work by using a small static charge that attracts dust, thus keeping it out of your work. It also has a coating that will prevent the paint from flaking off next to the sprayed panel. As a final note grounding would not hurt anything.

IMHO,

Tbone

Back