What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Interesting Sites to visit

Vern

Well Known Member
{this is a re-post made in another forum-it has value because of SE sites}

USAF Museum/Aviation sites
I've been visiting the museum at Wright-Pat for many years (since the mid 60's). They have made huge improvements.My first trip there was aboard an AF C-47.

If you go, be sure to visit the auxillary flight line hanger where other displays are located. My logbook shows some time in the OV-10 Bronco at the museum. Makes me feel old! I can't walk among the unit memorials outside the museum without getting a big lump in my throat and a few tears considering the heroic crews and daring deeds commemorated by the memorials. Because so many men never returned, some of the markers are the only representative monuments to those lost.

A senior citizen in my church once owned the P-36 at the museum. He used it to commute to his crop dusting jobs. Eventually the AF made him an offer he could not turn down.He still has his CFI and flies when he can.

Down South, there are a number of special museums. One very similar to Wright Pat is at Robins AFB in Warner Robins,GA. It has many older military a/c. It has the same IMAX movies that are shown at WP and the Smithsonian, a great gift shop, and unless he's passed on, a genuine aviation character who once was affiliated with the Flying Tigers AVG in China under Gen Claire Chennault, General Robert L. Scott. He wrote a patriotic novel called 'God is my Co-Pilot.' He is/was the honorary curator of the museum and a very colorful gentleman with a lot of stories. Fly into Macon Municipal and it's about a 5 mile drive. There are signs on I-75 if you are driving.

Just outside of Savannah, GA, just by the airport along the interstate is the 'Mighty 8th' Museum.It is much smaller,but the best part of it is a circular room you sit in while watching a surround-screen full of B-17's on a mission with everything the Germans had coming at you. After it ends, the elderly host will usually say, "That's how it was, because I was there in '44, or '45 as a part of the Mighty 8th." Then go down for the waterfront in Savannah for a great day-trip.

The Gulfstream factory is also at Savannah and you might get a tour.

Further south is the Maule factory and old Spence Airbase in Moultrie,Ga. It is the product of a great homebuilder, BD Maule.It is now run by family members.

In the '40's-late '50's it was a contract flying school run by my aviation hero, former world aerobatic champ Bevo Howard. Bevo would treat the newly-winged AF pilots to a graduation airshow in his Bucker Jungmeister that was brought to America on the dirgible Hindenberg by Prince Papano in the '30's. Bevo's performance included every conceivable form of snaproll and low altitude outside square loops that always caused me to fear for his survival.

Lockheed, north of Atlanta, was called the Bell Bomber plant many years ago and once was the world's largest building. Among many a/c, it produced the B-29, B-47,C-130,C-5, F-22,etc. It's fascinating if you can get a tour.

Army Aviation is well represented by a group over at Tara Field, next to Atlanta International Speedway and Hampton ,Ga.

Of course,there is a very nice small but growing museum here at Falcon Field (KFFC) in the form of the CAF.

Just outside Pensacola,Fl is the Naval Aviation Museum which is outstanding. There are bleachers outside where you can watch the Blue Angels practice in the off-season.

Birminham, Al has a small museum just behind the airport. It's worth a look-see if you are around there.

Would others mind posting their local aviation sites for us? There are hidden treasures in many parts of our land. Let's hear about them!

One of the best military exhibits Ive seen so far (excluding the Air and Space Smithsonian) is at Hill AFB in Ogden, UT. It has most WWII and later US fighters and a SR-71 Blackbird.

If you're in the Pensacola/Destin area, there is always the Air Armaments museum located on part of Eglin. They have a very interesting collection, including a B-57F, SR-71, and quite a few other nice exhibits.

"Just outside Pensacola,Fl is the Naval Aviation Museum which is outstanding. There are bleachers outside where you can watch the Blue Angels practice in the off-season"

Vern

Sorry Vern, I know this is nitpicky, but the bleachers outside the National Naval Aviation Museum are for watching practice airshows during the actual airshow season, not off-season. Normally on Monday thru Wednesday during the airshow season they have a practice airshow before going to their next show, usually on Friday each week. It's a good deal, and you don't need to be military to get on the base. The Blue Angels off-season training site is El Centro NAS in California.

Tobin

If passing near the coast of SC, stop at East Cooper Airport (Mt. Pleasant) and visit Patriot's Point Maritime Museum. You will tour an aircraft carrier that is full of interesting aircraft.
Tinman

Back