What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Do I need male or female BNC connector?

tinman

Well Known Member
Dumb question...
If I am coupling my coax cable to the xpdr and com antennas, will I need to fit a male or female coupling to my cable? I was told by my local expert that I needed a male fitting on the end of my coax to mate with the female fitting on the antennas (antennae?) I ordered male fittings and received the following part- Amphenol 36800-RFX. It does not mate up.
Ideas?
Thanks in advance!
Tinman

Female cables

The connectors on my antennas are male, which of course means that the cables need to be female. Here's a view of the transponder antenna installation. (click on the photo for more info, and a larger image)

My experience is also that female connectors are required to mate to antennas, and to pig tails from radio trays. I think your "local expert" gave you bad information.

Pete

Thanks guys. Looks like my local expert needs some additional training...Too bad that he is my brother-in-law.
Tinman

Your backwards

You guys are cracking me up.
Fittings on the coax need to be MALE
Male center pin from coax end goes into the female receiver of the antennae.
Hello?

Buy some females anyway since you will probably have some coupling to do in varous places like the wing or pig tails off avionics stack.

Kahuna

yep.

I agree with Kahuna. People sometimes get mixed up between the concept that the male part is that of the conductor pin, but the outside metal casing is kind of female. When purchasing these things, I think you're talking about whether the conductor is male or female. Not the "connector" shell.

But I'm not an electrical engineer :)

The gender of an electrical connector is determined by the center conductor. The BNC connector on the cable should be male. The connectors on the antenna and transponder, radio, etc. are female.
Mel...DAR

When I get confused I just look down. The male variety has the center pin, just like us fellas.

Steve Zicree
RV4

I had fun when I tried to mate up the two at my disconnect point at the wing root. for my Archer wingtip antennae.

Back