What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing Baggage Space?

jrdalton

Has anyone thought of extra (light) baggage space in the wing areas where there is no fuel tanks. The Velocity has this in the wing strakes. Have any of you builders thought of this?

Just curious?

The Velocity has a limited amount of baggage space and so would benefit from a wing baggage compartment. The RV-10 however has a large and ample baggage compartment, so why expend the effort (and risk) of putting compartments in the wing?

In an old, old issue of the RV-ator, Vans showed a couple of aircraft where the owners had cut access panels in the wingtips and used that area for bulky items such as pillows, spare clothes, sleeping bags, etc.

The storage space would be nice, but it seems like a fair amount of work for the amount of space you'd create.

wing tip

It has been done before. One of the most popular methods is to install a hinged door with a simple latch, like an oil door, in the tip. Of course the only real use I see is stuffing the tip with some light soft item like a sleeping bag. With that said I camped out with my girlfriend in my RV-4 and put everything needed in the aft baggage compartment (tent, bags, food, cooking gear, and clothes..). You can always place a few small soft duffel bags in the cockpit area under the passenger?s knees. Extra storage may not be as needed, especially with the baggage space in RV-10. As far as cutting holes into the aluminum wing skin, NO, unless you are an aircraft structures engineer. G

Last edited:
Back