What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Big Bend Ranch SP on MLK weekend

Louise Hose

Well Known Member
Paul and I have reserved our places at Big Bend Ranch State Park in west Texas for the extended Martin Luther King Holiday weekend. Yes, it will probably be cold, but what's wrong with a few days of cold in winter when you live in south Texas?

We plan to arrive on Saturday January 17th and stay through Tuesday the 20th. The Ranch House is full on the 17th (open the rest of the time), but the bunkhouse has plenty of room for the entire weekend (as of earlier today).

There's lots of information on BBRSP in the forums. Try http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...nch+state+park or http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=24424&highlight=BBRSP.

Information on the park and how to make reservations is available at: http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/spdest/findadest/parks/big_bend_ranch/

As for the airplane stuff?..the airstrip is 3TE3, it is paved, and it was well-maintained last time we were there (http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...nch+state+park). The location is 29-28-10.6840N / 103-56-11.7030W, elevation: 4240 feet, and length: 5500 feet. The procedure is to find the headquarters about one mile to the west, circle it a couple of times, go land, tie-down and unpack, and expect a van to pick you up (for free!) before you finish securing things. There are pretty limited tie-downs (maybe 10?), so it would be prudent to bring your own. There are no hangers or other such facilities and no one seems to monitor a radio frequency.

BBRSP

Louise:

Becky and I were thinking of going sometime in the middle week of DEC., then visiting relatives in Texas over Christmas week. Jay bailed out earlier because of work commitments which I understand as Becky has them too.

Anyone else interested in going there the week before Christmas????? I have no idea what the housing schedule is for that week, so I need to call.

As much as we'd like, there's no way that we can make it in Jan.

Thanks Louise for the BBRSP and airstrip info. We (EAA Chapter 493, San Angelo,Tx.) are planning to make BBRSP a stop on our Greater Texas Air Tour (GTAT) next September and I appreciate this info and your previous report on the ranch. I will post additional info about GTAT as it develops.
Any and all are welcome and invited. Both faster and not so fast aircraft will take part and destinations will accommodate multiple ranges of interest, aircraft types (RVs of course) and destinations in Texas and surrounding states.

Thanks again,
Gerry Hatch

Bump!

I know that Jay and Carol are planning to be out there that weekend - anyone else going to see the desert in January?

I need to go polish up my two-headed quarter for the coin toss to see which airplane we take....;)

Desert Trip

Carol and I are planing to fly to Presidio Wednesday and Thursday. BBRSP Sat and Sun night.
Back here Monday evening.
Hope to see Chace and his RV10 project. Explore the country and meet up with the locals.

Anyone else planning on camping or is everyone staying in the bunkhouse? Jayne and I are planning on coming up from Corpus if the local Corpus crud wx doesn't keep us down. We thought about camping but didn't want to be the only ones.

Bienvenidos

I plan to take off from work (i.e. "job" work) starting Wednesday. Will plan to visit with whomever may want the nickel tour of the Big Bend, Otherwise I'll be putting in some serious time building the RV-10's: plumbing, electrical and insulation.

Fortunately it looks like most of Texas will share the clear skies of the desert for the remainder of this week and over the weekend!

Bunk House

Tob,

Don 'Yellow Bird' is in the bunkhouse. I don't think anyone is camping?

The VAF Cavalry has gathered

The first RV arrivals (Don C. in Yellowbird and Paul and I in the Valkyrie, with John in a souped up C-182 panting to stay on Don's wind) came in the early afternoon yesterday. We were greeted by my former Cherokee partners from Carlsbad, NM, George and Linda. It was one magnificent day out here. "Perfect" temperature of maybe 65F for a high. Light wind. After settling in, we headed out on a hike right as Jay and Carol flew over the Ranch compound in Shooter (Super Cub). They were here to greet us when we returned. Chase S. (from Precidio) came in a little later (also in a Cessna) and Tobin and Jane arrived shortly before dusk. Eleven people so far, but oddly only 3 RVs. We expect Dave and Janey B. to arrive this afternoon and make that 4.

All fears that BBRSP has been organized, formalized, and headed for more authoritarian management (as had been promised by a consultant working at the Park during our last visit) went out the window and chaos reined in the bunkhouse. Beds had been overbooked, women found strange men setting up to sleep in their cubicles in the women's dorm, and the park pleaded that they were too short-handed to keep a handle on things. Good. We don't come here for a regimented experience. After some sorting out, I think everyone found a satisfactory sleeping arrangement. We understand that the biggest group in the bunkhouse and the group in the Big House both leave today (Sunday), so there should be a little more elbow room here for the rest of the weekend. We plan to take over the Big House at any rate.

The Park made a wonderful campfire last night and we soon had it almost to ourselves (with just a couple of the friendly folks from another group joining us). The stars, as always, were spectacular. The night temperature was brisk but not cold.....perfect for a campfire. Oh, and they still make great green chile chicken enchiladas!

Oh, and the biggest surprise? My photo of vaquero Raul on a horse at Cinco Tinajas (http://n5lp.net/BBSP.htm) was made into a nice painting by someone named Laurie Holman and now hangs in the dining hall. Flattering!

The first wave of the VAF Cavalry rides in a few hours. Another dawn patrol is planned for tomorrow morning. Folks plan to be here through Tuesday morning, so come on down!

Last edited:
Good photo

...Oh, and the biggest surprise? My photo of vaquero Raul on a horse at Cinco Tinajas (http://n5lp.net/BBSP.htm) was made into a nice painting by someone named Laurie Holman and now hangs in the dining hall. Flattering!...

DSC03963.JPG

As I have mentioned to you Louise, I really like that photo. I hope you get a picture of the painting so we can see what Laurie did with it!

Last edited:
Just posting a few photos from the Big Bend fly-in this weekend. One is the aerial of the Ranch where we all stayed. The 2nd one was taken around the campfire last night after many, many hangar flying stories. Standing in Back: John, Jay, Jayne, Tobin, and Don. Sitting in front: Carol, Chase, Paul, Louise, and George. It was a blast, glad we got to see those that showed up. Met Dave and Janie from San Antonio (RV-9A) right before we left. Jayne and I had to come back today vice tomorrow. Tailwinds all the way to Corpus! Already looking forward to next year.

bigbend09004cc0.jpg

bigbend09008qx1.jpg

Last edited:
BBRSP: VAF Morning Report

0700: Breakfast - it's DARK!

0800: Sun Rising across the compound, breakfast complete, beautiful desert scenery and perfect weather! (As it was yesterday, and the morning before, and before....)

We still have ten VAF'ers at the park (several more have cycled through), with a few of them leaving this morning. Yesterday included horseback riding, flying around the local area, hiking, RV-10 in-process inspections at Chase's Airplane Factory in Presidio, more campfire time, and the capture of the Big House by VAF special forces (we are now in complete control of the ranch). Today's plan for those of us staying at the outpost will include more horse patrols of our new territory. We intend to secure the borders as best we can - reinforcements are requested - those folks who didn't make it are going to be disappointed to have to listen to the great stories!

Here is an image of the painting based on the picture noted above:
IMG_6993.JPG

Just the afternoon

DSC04351.jpg

The otherworldly scenery on the way down

I was only able to make it down to Big Bend Ranch for the afternoon, but it was a good afternoon. I arrived about lunch time but the vaqueros were still out on the range. When they did drift in we had a good hangar flying session in front of the bunkhouse from those really cool massive wooden chairs.

Do ask Jay about his flight in Shooter where the feds chased him down at Presidio with a Citation. It is excellent entertainment.

DSC04419.jpg

I had not been to the Cinco Tinajas before so Paul, Louise and I rented some bicycles to reach the trailhead, then hiked in. Curiously, although the weather was very comfortable in shirt sleeves, the bottom tinaja was frozen thick; so thick that it couldn't be broken by rock throwing, even by those of superhuman strength like Louise and Paul.

DSC04431.jpg

DSC04445.jpg

Walking back from Cinco Tinajas

DSC04452.jpg

After we got back and chatted some more I started walking back to the airport and Paul and Louise took a little spin in Shooter. This is the first I heard that Shooter is a public airplane, available to all!

DSC04457.jpg

On the way home

DSC04489.jpg

I really intended to get back to Carlsbad before sunset, but seeing the sunset from the air isn't all bad. Notice the reflection of the cirrus clouds on the wing and El Capitan of the Guadalupes toward the right.

I was sorry to miss the part where the men were sleeping in the women's dorm, and all that, but it was still fun to visit, even if just for an afternoon. My bill to the park was $7.00. $3.00 for park entrance and $4.00 for bicycle rental.

Last edited:
Out and Back

Janie and I had plans for Saturday in San Antonio and she had a "Girls Night Out" on Monday so our trip to BBRSP was delayed until Sunday with a return on Monday.

We took off around 9am on Sunday in conditions we all hope for---cool and dry with nary (south Texas term--look it up) a hint of wind. We made it to the ranch headquarters in a little under 2 hrs with a slight headwind. The flight conditions at 8500 were absolutely perfect---42 degrees f, clear sky, 100 mile visibilty and incredibly smooth conditions. After passing north of Del Rio the scenery really starts to get interesting and after making the turn to the sw over Terrell County you have high desert/mountain vistas for 270 degrees--quite a sight on a day such as this. We stopped at 6R6 to top off our fuel, to insure we could comfortably make a non-stop from the ranch back to the SAT area, and upon climb out we switched to 122.9 and heard Chase in his pristine Cessna pointing out sights to Paul/Louise and George as they toured the ranch as a flight of three.

The lunch was good, the dinner even better (Lasagna, salad, and german chocolate cake for dessert--I made a pig of myself), and the bonfire/star gazing after dinner is always worth the trip by itself. The skys were clear, the moon would not be out until after midnight, temps were around the mid 30's, and there was no light or pollution contamination--all which makes for incredible stellar sights. After the bonfire Janie and I made our way to the "Big House" (the old ranch headquarters) and as I was laying in bed it occurred to me how utterly still and quiet it was--not a sound from anything with the exception of an occassional coyote song. I fell into a deep sleep.

The next morning after breakfast in the bunkhouse the VAF cavalry was going out on patrol. We saw them off on their expedition to secure our Ranch borders and made our way to the airstrip along with Don and John who were also leaving that morning to fly back to the DFW area. Took off around 10 am in, guess what, cool, dry, clear 100 mile visibility conditions and shut down in front of our hangar at 1T8 in 1:42 with a slight tailwind most of the way.

Have you concluded that Janie and I like BBRSP??? Since the first fly in which took place Presidents day weekend in 07, we have been back four times.

We enjoyed meeting Tobin, Jayne, George, Linda, John, and Don and seeing Jay, Carol, Paul, Louise, and Chase and his family again. We are sorry to have missed Larry---he must have been on his way as we were departing.

These RV machines are really amazing!!!!

Cheers,

db

BBRSP

Well,,,, Carol and I have put 'Shooter' away for now. We went in the exp Supercub so we could land some of the ranch strips that are not RV friendly.
A Fun filled trip. We did hiking, evening flights, and all day flights. Horse riding, borrowed ones :rolleyes: the best kind!! :p

We flew the Rio Grand river on OUR SIDE,,,, but still managed to attract the attention of the Border Patrol. They sent a Citation out of San Angelo,TX to check us out. The pilot walked up and I gave him a card and introduced my self. His co pilot is building a RV8, another small world story! Had fun with these men, 3 were Customs and 1 DPS officer. Showed off 'Shooter', I think they liked it.

Another trip over, fun for all that participated, wish Crash, Scorch, and Sky could have come with. Haven't seen enough of of them at fly outs lately. I will not hesitate to fly my RV next time. Febuary? March?? Who's, in??

Hope you all will get out and fly with us before it is too late.

Last edited:
Another Great Weekend!

As you can tell from the pictures folks have posted, this turned out to be one of the best weekends we?ve had yet out at the Big Bend - perfect weather, great company, good flying, and lots of healthy exercise! From airplanes to horses to bicycles - and good old hiking boots - we had everything we needed to explore this region that just looks like it is part of another planet. Take away the (sparse) foliage and it looks like the blasted surface of Mars - you almost expect to come over a rise and see a startled little rover sampling it?s way across the surface?..

I really want to thank Jay for letting us use Shooter for a little while - it is one thing to go blasting around the area in the RV (and we do that a lot!), and another thing altogether to sample the terrain in a low, slow Cub - you can really get right down among ?em and take your time to see the details. Louise and I basically traced out our horseback ride from the morning, identifying the trees and rocks we had see from our four-legged transports. We are really beginning to have our ?favorite spots? in the park - places we keep going back to enjoy. I also want to thank local contact Chase for his outstanding air tour of the Rio Grande valley. ?Never cross the border!? was his final pre-take-off advice, and the resulting views of Santa Elena Canyon was worth the careful navigation. (We were a little concerned about the stories Jay had to tell of Citations and heavily armed men, but figured we could always bust someone out of prison with a helicopter and a Piper Cub - I?ve seen that in the movies!). It was great to get a chance to look over Chase?s DUAL RV-10 projects out there in the desert. Corrosion is certainly not going to be one of his top concerns!

Flying out of Houston on Saturday posed an interesting problem. The weather at home was just great, with scattered clouds at 8K, good visibilities, and no real weather. Likewise, the very few METARS out in the Big Bend were clear, as were the forecasts. The problem was the middle of the route - the Texas Hill Country was down to 400? for a couple hundred miles, with no forecast for improvement for a day or so. There weren?t any top reports, and the winds aloft showed pretty stiff headwinds the higher we would go, so I really didn?t want to fly any higher than necessary. There are essentially no weather reporting stations between Junction and Fort Stockton(FST), and Junction was low IFR, while FST was clear - the question was where we would run out of IFR conditions. Given the winds aloft and the distances involved, we were looking at a maximum range IFR flight if FST wasn?t good when we got there, and we had to divert, since the nearest good alternate was another hour away! It was doable in either the RV-6 or the -8, but I was concerned about having to abort into Low IFR conditions in the middle of the route with the more minimally-equipped panel in Mikey (the -6). Without an IFR GPS or a robust set of EFIS features, it would be an exciting approach on top of whatever emergency might drive us down - and I don?t need that much excitement in my leisure flying!

So the nod went to the Valkyrie, and we filed IFR so that if the tops ended up being higher than I was willing to go (due to headwinds), we could just plow along through them. I filed for Fort Stockton, as they had good fuel prices and weather reporting, even though I had no intention of going there, as it is quite a bit north of Big Bend. (I ended up getting Direct SAT, Direct FST, but that was so close to a straight line that it really makes me glad I have an IFR GPS!) Alpine was showing VFR as well, so that was a decent alternate, although the lack of a Terminal Forecast makes me nervous. I was confident that we?d be in clear skies long before we got to FST, and we?d cancel and go direct to our planned fuel stop of Terrell Country (6R6) to load up on gas before heading out to the Ranch. As it turned out, 6R6 was right on the edge of the clouds, but Alpine?s fuel was 50 cents a gallon cheaper than 6R6, so I changed our destination (with center) to Alpine (E38), and eventually cancelled IFR with them when I was ready to descend, as Albuquerque Center had no communications below 9,000? in the area. Alpine was in the middle of a runway repaving project, but had plenty of room for an RV, and with full tanks of cheap fuel, we had a short trip to the Ranch for the weekend.

The campfire talk and star gazing was wonderful, as usual, and as Louise has mentioned, one of the best parts of this trip was finding out that the quirky nature of this ?park? has not changed. No matter how much the State Park Board in Austin would like to make the place more regimented, it is just too far out on the edge of the world for them to homogenize the experience. Maybe some day you?ll be able to drive out there on a paved road and get a full safety lecture, helmet and shin guards before riding a horse?.but I hope that day doesn?t come soon! Yes, there is a measure of chaos, but the guests chip in and contribute to help each other make it work. It reminds me more of an exploration base camp than a tourist destination - and I hope it stays just that way.

Louise and I originally picked this weekend for ourselves because it was the only free time we had for the next several months, and we debated about letting others know we were going. I?m glad that we decided to publicize the trip this time. We have done the place alone and with groups, and it is always fun to have old friends and new friends join us and enjoy the experience together. We can (and do) sneak out there alone whenever we want - the annual semi-disorganized VAF gathering in the winter is getting to be a tradition!

Paul

Big Bend Again?

IF? someone wants to go out to Big Bend again this winter let me know.
Carol made friends with those horses and would love to go back to visit:rolleyes:

I'm in!!!

I keep telling people that the place is HIGHLY addictive.....go once, and you'll want to be back! :)

BBRTP March 20- 23, 2009

Big Bend Ranch State Park March 20- 23. !!! These DATES MAY CHANGE, stand by!!

Carol and I plan to go back March 20, 2009. Danny & Martha Jane, Scorch, Crash, David, and others have express an interest. Hope to get a few more of you.

Last edited:
BBRSP Take #6

Hi Folks,

For those of you thinking about a trip to BBRSP in March with Jay---you really need to see this place.

We just returned from another trip to the mountains of W. Texas--I think this was #6 to BBRSP for us. On this trip we were accompanied by Charlie and Dee Brame in their RV6a. On Tuesday morning we flew from the SAT area to Terrell County (6R6) for gas and then on to Big Bend Ranch State park (3TE3). Stayed at the park one night (incredible star gazing around the campfire --as usual), and then on Wed checked out and flew up to Alpine, TX. We were going to stay two nights at BBRSP but all the horses and auto tours were full -- and they were in the midst of a heat wave (80 degrees) so we headed for higher ground. We rented a "wreck" in Alpine and drove up to Ft. Davis and on to Davis Mountains State Park (ele 6000+') where we had reserved two rooms at the Indian Mountain Lodge.

The afternoon was spent with a friend who works at McDonald Observatory. He took us on an incredible tour of the facility to include site seeing from the catwalk on top of the 107" scope building which is on top of one of the highest mountains in the Davis Mountain range!!!!

It was cool (usually cold this time of year), the sky was clear, and single malt scotch (Charlie and I) and wine (Janie and Dee) along with cheese/salami/crackers/ham made for a nice evening on the balcony of the Lodge. BTW, the Lodge was originally built by the CCCers in the 30s and recently renovated back to its original glory.

Attached is one of the my favorite pics taken by Charlie on the ramp upon arrival in Alpine. Do you think Janie was having a good time???? BTW, notice the location of her purse---same location as just prior to take off a couple of months ago in Pecos, Texas on our way back from N. AZ. Lucky for us that it fell off the wing at start up. Janie noticed it missing just as I was leveling off at 9500 ft for the last leg to SAT. We radioed the good folks at the FBO in Pecos, they found the bag, nothing had fallen out (amazing), and we returned for it with red faces.

Tough life -- ehh??

Cheers,

db

copyofbbrspindianlodge0.png

Hey man, don't feel bad about the purse. My wife did the same thing at Branson last summer. Only we had flown about 100 NM before we noticed. A call to Branson confirmed it was still laying on the ramp. She had some friends that gave her a purse with velcro on the bottom..... Ha

Ed Booth, Trenton, SC
Builder/flyer, RV-6, RV-7, RV-10, RV-9A

Rent-a-Wrech in Pecos?

Sounds like a great idea, getting over to the other state park and observatory. I think we'll have to make the extension on our next BBRSP trip! Glad you and Janey had a good time.

Sorry that we have to miss the next VAF cavalry ride. :(

Back