PDA

View Full Version : TRIO AVIONICS PRO-PILOT A/P

scottp1111
11-24-2008, 06:05 PM
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/av/autopilot_trio.html

Above is a link to the new trio a/p. I am looking and think I want to order one to install in my RV 6. Has anyone yet bought , installed , or used one of these units.

I want the unit to fly off of my KMD 150 GPS. I don't have the KMD 150 linked to the HSI . I want the autopilot to simply be linked to the GPS.

Can anyone shed any light on this autopilot PROS CONS? Anything would be appreciated.

Scott Penton
RV Builder / Pilot

craigvince
11-24-2008, 06:46 PM
As an OEM dealer for Trio, we were very excited to see this new A/P introduced at Oshkosh. I had a chance to play with it for a while there, and I was quite impressed. It'll basically do anything you can throw at it, including vertical guidance for a GPS-coupled approach (GPSV). If you can program a route and altitudes into your GPS, it'll follow it all the way to the runway.

One of the best features, in my opinion, is the automatic course reversal. This can be a real life saver. The backup battery will power the unit and both servos for up to 1? hours. Another great feature is the track offset mode. If you're following your course and need to temporarily divert around other traffic or a TFR, etc, you can easily set an offset track, then rejoin the original course with the touch of a button. Very handy!

Sam Buchanan
11-24-2008, 06:56 PM
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/av/autopilot_trio.html

Above is a link to the new trio a/p. I am looking and think I want to order one to install in my RV 6. Has anyone yet bought , installed , or used one of these units.

I want the unit to fly off of my KMD 150 GPS. I don't have the KMD 150 linked to the HSI . I want the autopilot to simply be linked to the GPS.

Can anyone shed any light on this autopilot PROS CONS? Anything would be appreciated.

Scott Penton
RV Builder / Pilot

Scott,

I have been flying all the Trio systems for a few years now and have several hours flying the Pro Pilot in my RV-6. The Pro is a very competent system that is fully supported by an enthusiastic and ethical company made up of pilots.

Give the info about the Pro on the Trio web site (http://www.trioavionics.com/) a good read and rest assured it will perform as advertised. Basically it bundles all the features of the EZ-Pilot and EZ-Hold into one unit that fits in a 3" instrument hole. The Trio servos are state-of-the-art and some of the smartest units available.

I suggest you call the guys at Trio, tell them exactly what you have in your panel, and let them provide their input on how to interface their device with your equipment. They are as honest as the day is long. :)

Enjoy your new autopilot!

Kahuna
11-25-2008, 04:25 AM
Ive got about 30 hours on the newly integrated head. Its a wonderful unit, as was the old one. They are still in Beta but as I fly along crossing the country these past few weeks, the new head is doing wonderfully.
They are making sure everything is right before making it GA (Generally available).
The new AIRINC interface is still being worked but its in the unit. I have it wired to my GRT HX waiting for the firmware to be released.

I managed to flight test the servos to -14dF the other day. Worked great.

Trio has been a solid company for years now and you wont find a better supported product or group of people. They have become friends.

Best,

Garage Guy
11-25-2008, 09:09 AM
... They are still in Beta...
Update to that, they are shipping now, see http://www.trioavionics.com/ProPilot.htm.

Which is why I have a WTB post over in Classifieds for a EZ Pilot head, if anyone is taking one out for a Pro Pilot upgrade. :)

--Paul

Ron Lee
11-25-2008, 10:09 AM
If anyone took out a Trio altitude hold system to install the Pro pilot I am interested in it.

The Pro Pilot is a nice addition to their product line.

scottp1111
11-27-2008, 10:27 PM
Everyone, I appeciate your input in this matter. Everyone is very good on here and Im glad to be a member of a great community to be abe to just come out and ask fellow RV ERS what they think of a product before I dump cash into it.

THANKS!!!!!

MWH265
02-21-2018, 06:06 AM
I have a chance to pick up a Pro Pilot used at a decent price. Is this still considered a quality unit to install?

Thanks.

Tooch
02-21-2018, 06:40 AM
I installed one in my RV-7A 5 yrs ago and it is still going strong. I just sent it back to be updated for GPSS and GPSV since I will be flying IFR and it is now coupled to my Garmin GTN 625. Before that, I was using the serial data from my Garmin portable to fly my routes. The unit does a ton of stuff and the customer service at Trio is top notch.

BobTurner
02-21-2018, 06:58 PM
Having flown behind a Cessna/ARC analog autopilot for many years, I cannot get over what a huge performance increase there is with the Trio Pro (and, I presume, other modern systems). It flies approaches like it's on a train track. A few options to look at (either if your used system has them, or if you want to upgrade it (talk to Trio)):
GPSS/GPSV (with this, a suitable GPS will give turn anticipation commands, fly holding patterns, etc): Useful if you have a Garmin 400/500/650 or similar gps navigator.
Auto Trim: useful if you have (or want to install) electric trim, and plan on changing configurations with the autopilot in control (for example, I can start in level flight at 160 KTAS with the autopilot on; retard the throttle and slow the airplane, start down the GS, add flaps; disconnect the autopilot at 200 'AGL, full flaps, 75 KIAS, and the plane will be in trim).

Dbro172
02-21-2018, 07:13 PM
I think it is a great unit, i started my build with a g3X system and integrated Trio pro pilot (prior to the gmc305/307 head unit). The problem i found at that time (circa 2014) is that it would not funtion on its own as a standalone AP or integrate well with the Garmin soft keys. Basically, it would only function if there was a GPS course or waypoint entered into the GPS (430W or Aera, or G3x). I could not simply engage the AP to fly on its own, or in heading/alt modes if there was not an active flt pln or waypoint entered in the GPS. For me, I like to engage the AP on a whim, not have to enter something in the GPS first for the AP to work. While I was going through this trouble shooting and waiting on anticipated software updating with Trio, Garmin released the gmc305 control head and servos, so I swapped them out. Perhaps this has been fixed by now.

I sure like their units as an option in certified planes now too.

BobTurner
02-21-2018, 10:22 PM
I think it is a great unit, i started my build with a g3X system and integrated Trio pro pilot (prior to the gmc305/307 head unit). The problem i found at that time (circa 2014) is that it would not funtion on its own as a standalone AP or integrate well with the Garmin soft keys. Basically, it would only function if there was a GPS course or waypoint entered into the GPS (430W or Aera, or G3x). I could not simply engage the AP to fly on its own, or in heading/alt modes if there was not an active flt pln or waypoint entered in the GPS. For me, I like to engage the AP on a whim, not have to enter something in the GPS first for the AP to work. While I was going through this trouble shooting and waiting on anticipated software updating with Trio, Garmin released the gmc305 control head and servos, so I swapped them out. Perhaps this has been fixed by now.

I sure like their units as an option in certified planes now too.

There was something wrong here. My Trio Pro (2011) works fine in stand alone mode, within its limitations.
1. With neither EFIS nor gps data, the best it can do is wing leveler plus altitude.
2. With gps ground track data (no data need be entered into the gps) it will do ground track tracking (plus altitude). It cannot do heading track because neither the Trio nor the gps knows the heading. The control wheel steering feature should work.
3. With a flight plan entered into the gps, the Trio should track it, including a gps approach. If the gps has gpss commands, the Trio should follow them.
I usually control the Trio thru a GRT HX. This adds heading track, as well as VOR and ILS tracking.

I cannot comment on how well or if Garmin EFISs work with Trio or any non-Garmin brand. I know that Trio later came out with a version specifically designed to interface with G3X EFISs.

BobTurner
02-22-2018, 12:58 PM
There was something wrong here. My Trio Pro (2011) works fine in stand alone mode, within its limitations.

I cannot comment on how well or if Garmin EFISs work with Trio or any non-Garmin brand. I know that Trio later came out with a version specifically designed to interface with G3X EFISs.

I checked the Trio web site:
1. The model that works with the G3X can read Garmin?s propriatary software (which suggests that standard Trio Pros cannot).
2. G3X can take ARINC gpss data from a 430W, etc, and convert it to RS232, so the TRIO G3X version does not have ARINC inputs standard. This means no GPSS steering in a stand-alone configuration. (Trig recommends adding arinc inputs as an option, wiring 430 arinc thru a switch (efis or autopilot), so the autopilot can do gpss tracking if the efis fails or is otherwise not in the loop.)

None of this should prevent the Trio from running as a wing leveler in the absence of G3X and gps data.

dcflyer84
06-01-2020, 04:52 PM
I have just had a Trio GX Pro Pilot installed with my new G3X Touch. Was wondering if anyone flying a -10 (hopefully) would share their gain settings for all parameters. After 2 flights, mine is still wandering a bit too much. 430W is primary navigator and default for both the G3X and the GX Pro. Nav data is being received by both units from same source.
It's frustrating trying to hone this thing in!

Sam Buchanan
06-01-2020, 07:48 PM
I have just had a Trio GX Pro Pilot installed with my new G3X Touch. Was wondering if anyone flying a -10 (hopefully) would share their gain settings for all parameters. After 2 flights, mine is still wandering a bit too much. 430W is primary navigator and default for both the G3X and the GX Pro. Nav data is being received by both units from same source.
It's frustrating trying to hone this thing in!

Don't hesitate for a moment to call the guys at Trio for suggestions and settings. You will find them to be excellent resources.

Wow....hard to believe the Pro Pilot has been in my RV-6 for twelve years!

Steve Melton
06-01-2020, 08:37 PM
One thing that has always amazed me about my trio ez pilot. turn the autopilot off in-flight, disable the GPS input to the AP, put the aircraft in a crazy unusual attitude, turn on the trio ez pilot and immediately select the servo for the wing leveler and it will level the wings immediately. how does it do that?

dcflyer84
06-02-2020, 05:58 AM
Sam, I am in touch with Trio trying to work things out. They are good guys and helpful. This was the first Trio my installer had put in so I'm going straight back to Trio for troubleshooting the gains.

FORANE
06-02-2020, 06:40 AM
I have installed 3 Trio Pro Pilots. The Pro Pilot is a good autopilot with key capabilities lacking in other autopilots, and the guys in California are very helpful. I don't understand why in this era of computing ability we still have to fiddle with gain settings though. Seems a smart autopilot should be able to determine a better solution.

dcflyer84
06-02-2020, 07:18 AM
I have installed 3 Trio Pro Pilots. The Pro Pilot is a good autopilot with key capabilities lacking in other autopilots, and the guys in California are very helpful. I don't understand why in this era of computing ability we still have to fiddle with gain settings though. Seems a smart autopilot should be able to determine a better solution.

Do you know what your gain settings were? Or, how many clicks past factory settings did you have to go to get it tuned right?

FORANE
06-02-2020, 07:47 AM
Do you know what your gain settings were? Or, how many clicks past factory settings did you have to go to get it tuned right?

Yes, I know my gain settings, but my installs were not in a -10 and likely would not assist in any way.
Guessing you are following this install manual for adjusting the gains:
https://www.trioavionics.com/Pro%20Pilot%20Manual%204.1.pdf
Trio has updated the firmware on these recently. You might check with them to confirm you have the latest. One of the changes added a gain setting...

Adjusting gains can be very frustrating. I spent months trying to get a GMC507/G5 gains set before throwing in the towel and removing it. Even with the Trio, my results are not like a train track as Bob Turner reports; rather, it is optimized.

dcflyer84
06-02-2020, 07:53 AM
Yes, I know my gain settings, but my installs were not in a -10 and likely would not assist in any way.
Guessing you are following this install manual for adjusting the gains:
https://www.trioavionics.com/Pro%20Pilot%20Manual%204.1.pdf
Trio has updated the firmware on these recently. You might check with them to confirm you have the latest. One of the changes added a gain setting...

Adjusting gains can be very frustrating. I spent months trying to get a GMC507/G5 gains set before throwing in the towel and removing it.

Thanks, FORANE. I am using the manual and Trio just had my controller so the firmware should be up to date. I figured your Lancairs are pretty similar in performance and control sensitivity so your settings would make comparative data points.

BobTurner
06-02-2020, 11:57 AM
. Even with the Trio, my results are not like a train track as Bob Turner reports; rather, it is optimized.

Perhaps I?m just lucky, but yes, my TT could not be better. I?ve been trying to follow SIP rules here in my county but when I get to the hangar I?ll look for my settings. Of course, I use a GRT when in the ?efis-controlled? mode, so your Garmin settings won?t match mine.

FORANE
06-02-2020, 12:12 PM
I use a GRT when in the ?efis-controlled? mode

I too have a GRT HX in the plane. Didn't wire the Trio through it as I never use its flight plan functions. Apart from the ARINC source and functionality, do the GRT gain settings improve performance of the Trio (pitch and roll performance more stable / accurate)?

BobTurner
06-02-2020, 02:01 PM
I too have a GRT HX in the plane. Didn't wire the Trio through it as I never use its flight plan functions. Apart from the ARINC source and functionality, do the GRT gain settings improve performance of the Trio (pitch and roll performance more stable / accurate)?

It?s hard to say, as they are both very good. To be honest, I haven?t really tried the Trio in stand-alone mode in really challenging wx (turbulence). I do know (clear air turbulence) that the ?g-sensor/autopilot release? function works (!). Quite honestly I feel the Hx interface is superior, more functionality (ILS, VOR approaches; heading mode if given vectors). And easy to use.

BobTurner
06-02-2020, 03:12 PM
Okay, I have retrieved my Trio notes. I’ll list my settings below. But note, they may be specific to my servo installation, which I think was pretty much by the book. BTW, some autopilot problems may be mechanical. Make sure there is no free play in any of the linkages in/to the control system. Make sure the servo mounts are strong enough that they don’t flex.
So I have a Trio Pro with programable autotrim. Last firmware update was July 2011. Under preferences, I have: Hnav gain Trk=3, CRS=3, PI=9; Hnav servo gain=16; Vnav servo ALT HLD=30, VS=35, AS=30; VNav servo DB=6.
For what it’s worth, here are my HX settings:
Turn antic 3.0; output normal; XT gain=50%; heading gain=200%; alt hold=100%; vert speed gain=100%; airspeed gain=100%; VOR gain=150%. Anything not mentioned was set to 100%.
Edit, sorry, my original notes were from home. Now corrected for the actual numbers off the Hx.
Edit, forgot to say, RV-10. Settings may be different in different aircraft.

Steve Melton
06-06-2020, 08:41 PM
my Trio EZ pilot settings: course = 3, track =5, pull in = 15, course rate turn = 3 deg / sec.

edit: pull in later adjusted to 11.