What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Electrically powered RV-8 sliding canopy

Hello all RV builders
Does anyone has heard of some RV8 buliders who electrically powered their sliding canopy and could give me some information about how they realised it.
Thanks to all in advance
Hotel Juliet

Hummmm

You might want to think about an actuator arm. Similar to what is found on the old 10' tv dishes.

RV8 Powered sliding canopy

Hello all
Could someone provide informations about existing RV8 (if any) modified with an electrically (or other system) powered sliding canopy ?
Thanks in advance
Hotel Juliet

I've seen a hand crank/cable operated set up for the -8 canopy but don't know who the builder was. I'd think an electric motor/gearbox could be adapted to do the muscle work if you could find out more info on their design. Hate to think of the weight though.

One comment about an electrical canopy. If someone had to get you out of the cockpit in a hurry (crash rescue)how would they do that if they had to work against the mechanism? I think you would need to put a quick release access someplace on the outside and mark it real well.

I have seen -8 canopies done with a crank handle and a cable loop - you could use the same idea, but substitute a motor for the crank - sorry, i don't have any pictures...

Paul

Thanks Bill
My thoughts are to adapt cars side windows electrical lifting device ( about 5 lbs) but I am very much concerned about possible safety drawback this is why I try to gather information as much as possible before going any further
Hotel Juliet

I have a electric sliding canopy on my -8, however I didn't build it so I can't give you all of the details. but here is what I know so far. The electric motor is behind the rear seat headrest. Its a small motor with a cable loop like ironflight described. The size of the motor, well I don't know but I will look at it for you.

The latch system is still mechanical though. I am in PA if you interested in coming to see it. I will try to get some pictures for you, they will have to come later because we just got dumped on with snow

as for the safety issue, you can push against the motor pretty easily. There isn't that much resistance in the motor that prevents it from being opened the traditional way. You need just enough power to close it and open it, which surprisingly isn't that much. Like I said though my latch is the traditional one, also included is quick release pins on the rails to allow canopy disconnect in case of emergency.

ok soon as i can get out of my drive way, I'll get picks and video....

Last edited:
Back