What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mackinac Island / Oshkosh 2008

ScottSchmidt

Well Known Member
345492834_WVZrL-L.jpg

There were some great Oshkosh 2008 write-ups this year so I thought I would share a day trip we took to Mackinac Island. http://www.airnav.com/airport/KMCD
Mackinac Island is part of Michigan located in Lake Huron. What makes Mackinac Island different is that cars and motorized vehicles have been banned since 1898, but they do have an airport. When you visit Mackinac it is like stepping back in time. The island is famous for its fudge and the Grand Hotel.
Here are a couple of links if you want to read more about the history of the island and the hotel.

Mackinac Island
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mackinac_Island

Grand Hotel
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Hotel_(Mackinac_Island)

We decided to fly up to the island on Sunday, the day before the show started. I had been to Mackinac Island when I was about 13 years old with my parents and they were at Oshkosh again this year with their trailer. My dad is from Minnesota and he had his 50th high school reunion a week before Oshkosh. So the four of us loaded up in the plane on Sunday morning and headed up.

The island is 201 nm from Oshkosh (straight line). We departed Oshkosh and overflew Green Bay, Door County, and then cut across a couple of islands located in Lake Michigan (South Fox Island and Beaver Island).
The flight in the RV-10 is about 1 hour 15 minutes.

414952440_zhD5L-L.png

345485469_eanGX-L.jpg

Last edited:
Mackinac Island

Approaching Mackinac Island
345486705_RiUx4-L.jpg

As we approached the island I called the unicom and requested a taxi to come pick us up at the airport. They are 2 HP taxis on this island so make sure you are not in a hurry. Mackinac Island is on "Island Time" just like many of the Caribbean Islands.

Picture of the whole island
345488484_vvkqt-L.jpg

Runway carved in the center of the island
345488885_zieXV-L.jpg

As we make our short final we overflew one of the taxi's going to pick someone up.

345491443_Uiur5-L.jpg

We tied down on the front row and headed to the FBO. There were quite a few planes there but they have plenty of room.

345493358_oUiCr-L.jpg

345493862_x7pR6-L.jpg

Last edited:
Mackinac Island

Our 2 HP taxi showed up and we were off to the main street to get some lunch. It takes about 15 minutes to get from the airport to the main street. I can't remember the cost but it wasn't too bad, it was cheaper than a New York cab and even smelled better.

345494947_nXejn-L.jpg

345496448_wqKkf-L.jpg

Even the street cleaner is horse powered.
345497571_84ArS-L.jpg

The Grand Hotel taxi approaching
345498210_PJXF7-L.jpg

Our taxi driver recommended the Carriage House for lunch and it was a great recommendation. It is on the right hand side as you are just coming into town.

345499795_nBKCP-L.jpg

345498760_rCuti-L.jpg

345503097_HHUmJ-L.jpg

345501054_RHKYi-L.jpg

Mackinac Island

In the summer you have two options to get the island, boat or plane. In the winter you can snowmobile to the island across the frozen lake.
Here is one of the boats coming in.
345501556_LzVyt-L.jpg

There are tons of bikes on the island to rent. Most people get around on the bikes. There is also a road that goes around the island. We didn't rent any bikes this trip but next time we would like to take some more time and ride around the island.

345503613_fBGrj-L.jpg

As I mentioned before, the island is famous for its fudge. We stopped by and grabbed a box for the RV-10 group dinner we were having later Sunday night back at Oshkosh.

345504519_mx34F-L.jpg

345504945_pmvpM-L.jpg

We strolled around the town and checked out the fort, the harbor and then walked up the Grand Hotel. We thought we could go in and check it out until we saw the sign and heard it would cost $20 (I think) just to go inside.
So we just stayed outside and took some pictures.

345508197_RjLsf-L.jpg

345505827_6edSX-L.jpg

345509127_ZLGXG-L.jpg

345510132_ZoHA9-L.jpg

345511513_z3G2q-L.jpg

Last edited:
Mackinac Island

We walked back to the airport and headed to Door County Cherryland Airport for gas.

345512836_Asbqd-L.jpg

345517246_Zvh4a-L.jpg

I wanted to get gas before heading back to Oshkosh in case there was a long wait. When we landed they literally rolled out the red carpet.
They were very helpful at the airport.

345519924_vJ6zD-L.jpg

345520298_9hd5o-L.jpg

Getting back into Oshkosh was no issue and we had a great day of flying and sightseeing.
345521759_mxTmU-L.jpg

We headed for the RV-10 dinner and put out all the fudge which quickly disappeared.

345526192_PUaX5-L.jpg

So maybe next year you can plan a day to run up to Mackinac Island.
We will do it again!

Thanks for sharing that TripTik, Scott! Very enjoyable. My wife's been wanting me to take her up there for years, and maybe that will be one of our first destinations when I finish N8RV.

Jaw dropping gorgeous, Scott. Thanks for sharing your usual top-notch reports with us again!!!

b,
d

Thanks so much for sharing your trip with us, Scott! I've been to Mackinac Island many times, but only once via air (and that in a C172) and it was a blast. One of my dreams is to go back there in my RV, once it's done. Thanks for the great pics and added inspiration.

Best Kept Michigan Secret

Very nice pictoral and write up. Even though I live in michigan, I have been to the island several times by plane and boat. It is a must do for all. very historical and fun. BTW on any given weekend the Grand Hotel will host 6-8 weddings and receptions in a single day. talk about logistical nightmare (all those mothers-in-laws to deal with;)

Great write-up and pictures. We stop at the island 3-4 times per year, usually just for lunch or dinner. From SE Michigan (KPTK) it's less than 1:30 flight time. For those adventureous enough, you can also visit the island in the winter. For a couple of months, the straits are frozen over and the only way on or off the island is via airplane or snowmobile. Only about 500 people live there year round, but you can still get a taxi and a couple of bars are open for burgers or sandwiches. Just west of the Grand Hotel and further up the hill are several large mansions, one of which is maintained by the State of Michigan, and is a summer residence for the sitting Governor.
Terry

Been there!

Yep, great place to visit. It was one of the first cross countries I made after getting my PPL back in the 70's.

A few years back I went to Mackinac Island for a convention. We were driving up and running a little late. The boat service had already quite for the day. We needed to be there that night. We found a service that will fly from St. Ignace to the island, so we got a ride over in a Cherokee 6. One of the shortest flights I've ever had, not much further than flying the pattern!

I plan on taking the 9A up there, if I can ever get it finished.

Great pictures, Scott.

Great write up. I have been visiting Mackinac pretty regularly for the past 20 years absolutely great place. I always stay at the lake view (only hotel with an indoor pool on the island). I live in Chicago area so the flight really doesn?t take a whole lot longer than that from OSH (defiantly beats the 8 hour drive). A few tips from the many trips I have taken.

1. Most importantly (and sorry about this Scott) don?t fly directly over the lake outside of gliding distance of land. The reason is simple the water temperature on the lake in middle of summer doesn?t get much above 50 degrees so if you survived and engine failure and ditched you probably wouldn?t live long enough to be rescued(I know its harsh but it?s the truth). The second reason is because when you fly over the lake its really easy to lose sight of the horizon (sounds weird I know but it happens) So it is almost like flying IFR.
2. Kilwins has the best fudge and ice cream
3. There is a great high class restaurant at Mission Point called the epicurean that has great food and one of the best Piano players I have ever heard. And best of all it costs about half as much as the grand hotel to eat at.
4. If you like White Fish there is a small lake side place right by Arnolds dock and it has the best white fish.
5. When you fly in you can call on the Unicom before you land to ask them to call a taxi for (it can take up to half an hour for a taxi to get to the airport)
6. heavy cable to tie your plan down to.

I have to concur with Darth-Helmet on #1. Best to follow the scenic coast line. For anyone visiting WI or MI, treat the Great Lakes as if they are the north Atlantic or Pacific. You can also loose reference to the horizon very easily due to a milky haze that occurs over the very cold water with warm air temps.

John Tierney
Salem, WI

Wonderful Place to Visit

We flew there from southern California in 1992 for our 25 anniversary and stayed in the Grand Hotel. The hotel was very expensive and very classy but we saw no bats. We rented bicycles in town and rode around the entire island (eight miles as I recall), toured Fort Mackinac and danced in the ballroom in the evenings to the music of a full orchestra. Even though we travel a lot this destination is memorable.

Bob Axsom

Scott ,
Thanks for the write-up. Brings back memories.

My wife and I attended a two day marriage celebration at the Grand Hotel a couple years ago. We stayed and ate there for a large discount. Meals were included in the package deal.

While at the Grand Hotel we attended a history meeting about the hotel. If you ever get the opportunity, I would highly recomend it. This is not a boring history lesson, but very informative and interesting. A few of the things I remember are.

1)They built the original part of the Grand Hotel in something like 31 days, Working 24 hours a day, by candle light. (now I know why the stairs aren't quite straight) Slid material over on the ice.

2)It was never intended to make a profit, but was built as a destination for wealthy travelors so the shipping companies could make money hauling customers from the cities. It has never turned a profit until just recently.

3)It was almost torn down for the materials at one time since it kept losing so much money, but was bought up by (don't remember the name)

4)The current owners spend a ton of money on painting and constant maintenance.

5)I don't believe they have air conditioning. At least not in our room. They have added indoor plumbing in your room.

6)No two rooms in the grand hotel are decorated the same.

Back in my college years I had a fraternity brother that was a bartender there in the summers at the Village Inn. Needless to say some friends and I stumbled around that island a few times. :D

2)It was never intended to make a profit, but was built as a destination for wealthy travelors so the shipping companies could make money hauling customers from the cities. It has never turned a profit until just recently.
They used to run passenger ships from Detroit and Chicago to all points on the Great Lakes in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Northern Michigan (Harbor Springs and Petoskey mostly) are still big vacation destinations for the wealthy and some of the "vacation homes" in those two towns are absolutely beautiful.

If any of you every fly up there, it is worth checking out, as is Travers City, MI.

Scott ,

5)I don't believe they have air conditioning. At least not in our room. They have added indoor plumbing in your room.

WHAT?? NO AIR CONDITIONING??

For the $500-$1000/night that their website quotes, there'd better be young, scantily-clad maidens fanning me and bringing me icy-cold drinks if they don't have air!

We stayed at a place like that in Vail once. Expensive and no air. It got pretty toasty there in August, and the fans that they provided just didn't cut it.

So much for staying at the Grand. Until October, that is.

WHAT?? NO AIR CONDITIONING??

For the $500-$1000/night that their website quotes, there'd better be young, scantily-clad maidens fanning me and bringing me icy-cold drinks if they don't have air!

We stayed at a place like that in Vail once. Expensive and no air. It got pretty toasty there in August, and the fans that they provided just didn't cut it.

So much for staying at the Grand. Until October, that is.
There is no need for AC up there, trust me. When surrounded by the 50 degree lakes on that little island, you will more than likely need and want heat at night, even in August.

Flying MI coast try Manistee

Don't forget about the great little golf resort and vaca destination in Manistee, MI....we are right on the coast and have a great field and hotel.
Watch for a flyin package I am working on for next Spring or summer....fly in for 2 days, stay at the Inn, fly the coast of MI in the Am and Pm and whatever mid day....steak fry's at night.
Doug

Don't forget about the great little golf resort and vaca destination in Manistee, MI....we are right on the coast and have a great field and hotel.
Watch for a flyin package I am working on for next Spring or summer....fly in for 2 days, stay at the Inn, fly the coast of MI in the Am and Pm and whatever mid day....steak fry's at night.
Doug
Gang,

Doug is the golf pro at that "great little golf resort" and is an all around good guy. Between him and his father, they can talk airplanes for hours and hours, not that that is bad.

(Doug, I hope you and your extended family are doing good! We will try to stop by next summer when we are home for the family reunion.)

We actually did stay there in early October. The weather was a little cool but pleasant. We usually go in the spring or fall when its less busy.

We walked around some and rented a pair of horses and carriage the first day.After that we were pretty much at the hotel and wedding Celebration (would highly recommend... it's actually fun)
I see the rates listed on their website are pretty steep. Probably why the conference was in October. I think we paid $3-400.00 (total for two)for the package deal including three meals at the grand. Very nice! I believe breakfast and lunch were a buffet type meal and the evening was 5 course, jacket and tie is required after 6:00 pm in the Grand. Not something we do all the time but fun once in a while.

The next time we go, I would like to be able to fly. :D

Closer to Spring, I have thought about posting on here to see if anyone is interested in going to Mackinac Island and Staying at the Grand Hotel. Depending on the date I will work with them to see how big of a group discount we can come up with. We even got a discount on the ferry ride last time if anyone is interested in driving in.

Back