What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Paint stripping advice needed

mandm1516

Well Known Member
I just finished painting the interior of my -8 using krylon rattle can paint. Although not going to win any awards, I'm very pleased with the results with one exception: The front floor and top of the spar have bad orange peel. I should have left it alone but after painting it the first time there was a lot of dust so I thought I could wet sand with 400 grit, clean and reapply. It didn't work--it's very bumpy and in some areas it looks like it didn't adhere to the underlying layer. It's not bubbled up but it's very bumpy. I initially thought about leaving it because it seems fairly durable--almost like a hammered finish, but I don't want to put everything back in and discover it's not going to last and have to take everything out again to fix it. So I've decide to strip it and redo it.

I'm obviously not a great painter and stress that in an attempt at fixing a problem, I create 2 more or screw up the surrounding areas that I'm happy with.

To make it right, I want to strip just the floor and top of the spar and do it again. What is the best method/technique, especially to be precise and ensure I don't remove paint that I don't want removed?

Thanks very much for the advice.

Mike

I'm no expert but if it were me I'd stay away from paint stripper and go with laquer thinner or acetone and a scotchbrite pad. You'd be amazed at how easily many rattle can paints come off with thinner and a little elbow grease. Once the scuff pad cuts the paint, you can use some thinner and rags to clean it up.

Back