What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-3 as first plane....for a low time pilot with no TW experience?

RBD

Well Known Member
I've been on an airplane hunt for the past few months, with my focus being on finding an older taildragger (see signature.) As a low time pilot (108 hours,) my plan was to buy something along the lines of a C-140, get my TW endorsement, build some time, and then eventually upgrade to an RV, tailwheel, of course. As I continue to scour the C-140 listings, I've also started looking at other options, and have been considering trying to find a used RV-3. My main concern is that there is no way to have someone sit next to me while I figure out how to land the thing. If I were to obtain my TW endorsement and build a few hours (10-15) in a Citabria (or something similar) AND do transition training in a RV, would it be reasonable for me to cautiously strap on the -3 and go flying? Or is it too much airplane for a low time pilot such as myself? Everything I've read seems to indicate that the taildragger RV's are fairly easy to handle on the ground when compared to other models. I appreciate your advice and opinions.

I can't speak from experience yet, however have seen many opinions saying that a tailwheel endorsement in an airplane like a Citabria is a great start to getting into TW flying, and would be a somewhat non-event transitioning into an RV - just a little different. I have my TW endorsement in a Decathlon, and have several hours in a Super Cub. I will soon be transitioning into an RV8.

Good luck, and you'll love TW flying!

ps- If you are still looking for a -140 , I think I saw in someone's signature (AX-O?) selling one on this site.

Hi Ryan,

I had zero TW time (and about 250 TT) when I sched'd my first transition training flight with Alex DeDominicis. After ten hours I had my endorsement and enough skill to get my RV-6 up and down on calm days (which is how I flew it for a few months until my skill set grew).

Might be worth a couple hours of transition training time in a RV to see if you can progress up the learning curve a bit and get a feel for it. At least in my case it was not that big a deal. Doing time/wind problems seemed to be harder for me :D.

b,
dr

You will be fine, but...

I agree with others. However, there is no better tw training than the older taildraggers. You learn to use your feet, forward and side slip, and a host of other skills that tend to get covered up in a faster, more wing loaded, stable airplane like an RV. Also, most of the old stuff is seriously power limited. You learn to respect density altitude, tail winds and head winds. You fly low and slow, rely on pilotage and learn other skills. I would not trade my 800 hours of antique taildragger time for anything, not that you need that much or anything close to be proficient.
The more time you get in the old stuff, the better stick you will be in your RV.
Best of luck to you and have fun....

The only person that can really answer this question is you. Once you get some dual if you feel like you're ready to fly a TW aircraft, and a competent instructor agrees, you can fly not only an RV but any tailwheel airplane you want. Getting your endorsement is an endorsement for you to progress to the next learning cycle, which is mastering another TW aircraft. Every airplane handles different and its up to you to get acclimated to those differences. Once you are able to master a few different TW aircraft it becomes easier to transition. I've flown and landed C195's and T6's, never found them to be difficult, just different. Whenever I fly a tricycle gear airplane, or any airplane for the matter, I don't really ever think about where the third wheel is. Its just another airplane.

FWIW last weekend a friend of mine flew with a current F16 jock, who about 5 years ago flew with the Thunderbirds. You'd think a guy of that caliber wouldn't have trouble in a Bonanza...well guess what, he flat-spotted all three tires. Moral of the story is it doesn't matter how much time you have, if you can grasp the concept of every airplane is different and you have to adjust to those differences, you will be fine.

Your plan sounds ok if you are a good learner. It all depends on the pilot, some would never be safe in a -3. You should also get some time in something with a lot of power and quick controls. The control response of a C-140 is not even in the ballpark with a -3. Be sure you learn to wheel it on, they don't do three point landings very well. The gear doesn't stall the wing in a three point position and can cause a big bounce. It's a great airplane and well worth the time and effort to learn to fly.

I had 5 hours TW (in a Champ - I'd not trade this time for anything) and 160 TT when I started my transition training. 6 hours later I could safely land an RV-6.

The next week I was flying my RV-4.

Just don't plan on flying in high winds the first 50 or so hours and you will be fine.

You will love the tailwheel.

I just heard from Global Insurance that they want 200 hours of flying time and 25 hours of tw time with around 5 hours of RV transition training time before they will offer coverage.

C'mon Tony, don't you want to start getting more of your money's worth out of that 4000' runway?:)

4000' is a long way from the gas pump!

You ever tried a wheel landing in your -3? My reflexes are so slow that it would be touch down, bounce, stick forward, bigger bounce, go around, clean britches.

Tony

Be sure you learn to wheel it on, they don't do three point landings very well. The gear doesn't stall the wing in a three point position and can cause a big bounce. It's a great airplane and well worth the time and effort to learn to fly.

I have to take exception to this advice also. I have wheel landed the -3 twice just to see if I could. The three point landing is much easier, simpler, and safer.

I had 8 hours in a "1941" Interstate Cadet to get my TW endorsement before I got into my -3 for the 1st time. If you add just a tad bit of power in the -3 right before touch down she 3 points just like the classy lady she is. The RV-3 will do exactly what you tell it to do, nothing more, nothing less.

Not all of my landings were pretty at first, but all of them were pilot induced. Once I understood the plane and spent time flying it and it, landings became second nature.

*** Knock on wood! ***

Last edited:
I've also started looking at other options, and have been considering trying to find a used RV-3. My main concern is that there is no way to have someone sit next to me while I figure out how to land the thing. ...............would it be reasonable for me to cautiously strap on the -3 and go flying?

Once you have a TW endorsement flying a -3 is an excellent choice to build TW time, and a great adventure to go solo. There is simply nothing better than "putting on" a -3 for the 1st time and going flying.

Learn the plane's panel, and what everything does. Make a POH if it doen't have one. Do some taxi work. Take off with 1/2 fuel and do some slow flight & stall work for 45 mins - 1 hour. Know what airspeed the stall is in landing configuration. Bring her in and practice landings. A touch or power during flare will really help the 3 point landing. Always remember; "Straight down the runway, on the center line." My advice is land on a good grass strip for the 1st 4-6 times, then try hard surface.

You'll be fine, and remember....Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Have you "worn" a -3 lately? ;)

Last edited:
Thanks for all of the replies. As I suspected, the RV-3 should not be ruled out of my airplane search. This kick got a jump start a few days ago when I saw the -3 listed on Barnstormers for $18,000! Although I tried to act fast, someone beat me with a deposit....the search continues.

I just heard from Global Insurance that they want 200 hours of flying time and 25 hours of tw time with around 5 hours of RV transition training time before they will offer coverage.
I have a quote request out to Jenny Estes to she what insurance premiums and time requirements would look like if I do find a -3. The hull value would be lower than the other RV's and you don't have to worry about liability as it pertains to passengers, so I'm guessing that it will be significantly cheaper than the other Van's models.

You ever tried a wheel landing in your -3? My reflexes are so slow that it would be touch down, bounce, stick forward, bigger bounce, go around, clean britches.

Tony

I don't see much point in them unless it's really gusty. I do wheelies for the helluvit once in a while, and yes, you need good timing with the stick unless you can touch down so softly you barely feel it. I've lucked out with a few of those, and they didn't need any forward stick at all. Also, I save the wheelies for pavement. I just like the minimum speed/energy of 3-pointers...plus I think they're harder to do absolutely perfectly than wheelies, so just that much more satisfying when/if it happens.

TW transition

I built a -4 with no time in a tail wheel of anykind. Have a buddy of mine that is a rv transition instructor. he flew with me in the 4 while I was in the back seat , I learned how to land from the back with him working the rudder pedals.
when I moved to the front I was as you will be in the -3 alone. The -4 is a pussycat on the ground almost no dancing on the pedals. I have 33 hrs in it now and have not had a problem yet.
Good Luck.
I have heard the RV TW is byfar easy compared to cessna and others.

Could be a wild ride...

I would take my training in a spam can... let somebody else worry about the maintenance and other costs. They add up in a hurry! If your lucky... you can get together with a good honest mechanic and learn from them. Get to where your brain is not overloaded with everything like traffic, talking, rules and regs... etc.... Go get the tailwheel transition... most people take 10 hrs or so. Then when you feel comfortable... get some solo time in some different taildraggers and then take a swing at it when you feel comfortable. After the private, I got my tailwheel, high performance and complex as soon as possible. I've been really lucky to fly some really neat aircraft as a mechanic and a pilot. I'm surrounded by excellent people and I'm very lucky to of had the opportunities I've had. There is no set time of when you should or should not step into an RV-3..... It depends on your sound judgement...
Best
Brian

Back