What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon AOA vs AFS AOA

TX7A

Well Known Member
I have been planning on using the Dynon with the AOA option in my 7A. I recently read the article in RVator about the Advanced Flight Systems AOA and it sounds impressive. It is $800+ vs $200+ for the Dynon AOA pitot option, so I would *suspect* that it is superior to the Dynon feature.
I've done a search but haven't seen much comment on the Dynon AOA as far as how well users like it. Does anyone know how it would compare to the AFS unit?
Thanks for any insight on this.

Sam

Aoa

I found two major advantages of the PSS AOA:

1) it outputs sound when you are approaching critical AOA;
2) you can mount the display up on the glareshield

I should be able to give you some shots of the AFS AOA shortly....one is being installed on my glareshield as I type this....

Pics taken this weekend I'd suspect.

B,
d

Full blown, baby! Audible alerts and all...
Right on the glare shield between the pilot and passenger.

Best,
d

Dynon AOA

Two nice things about the Dynon:
1. Cost
2. It's on the same screen as all of your other flight instruments, so you don't have to look away.

Con:
1. No pitot heat - only matters if you are flying IFR, but if you lose pitot, you lose the EFIS.

We had the Dynon in our -10 and never even calibrated it. We sold the Pitot and put in a heated unit. We didn't feel the need for AOA and we definitely felt the need for pitot heat.

DeltaRomeo said:
Full blown, baby! Audible alerts and all...
this caused me to double-check: according to their website, the Sport also has audible alerts (whew! I just ordered mine a week ago).

Aoa

Alan: Hope yours is working out well. I'm trying to choose between the Advanced Sport and Pro. Don't need gear warning for my -8, so am inclining toward the Sport. Would appreciate any info/experience you have. Thanks. Bill Dicus

Bill Dicus said:
...Would appreciate any info/experience you have...
Sorry, Bill, I'll be a few months out on any action reports - my baby is still a work in progress! The Sport display is nice and small and will fit handily at the very top of my panel, and the programming buttons will be on my -8's left knee panel. The install instructions are great and the kit is very complete. S'all I can tell you right now - have fun!

Aoa

Alan Erickson: Thanks for your reply. I'm a ways from flying too - just getting going on finishing kit stuff. Did speak with Mark Steffensen, whose RV-8A is for sale now - he's building a -10. He uses the AOA Sport (over 100 hours) and likes it. He got used to flying AOA in the Navy. I'm going to order the Sport, since it doesn't use up much space and can be placed easily for good visibility. Good luck with your project. Bill Dicus Milwaukee, WI, -8, IO-360EXP M1A, Lightspeed III plus Slick Mag, Hartzell CS (blended airfoil), D10A, Garmin 330, 340, 430, SL30, ACS 2002, TruTrak IIVSGV
Tried to put some color in - did it work?

another reason for AFS

BTW: the final reason I went with the AFS AOA: Dynon hasn't released their heated pitot with AOA yet. Glad they're doing a thorough job on it, but sheesh... Anyhoo, I want a heated pitot, and though I planned on using Dynon for both heated pitot and AOA, I didn't want to wait any longer. So I got a Gretz and an AFS - plumbed and ready for a smoke test soon!

Keep havin' fun, Bill and all!

I have the Dynon

hooked up and it works great! They just released a software upgrade on their web site to add the audible alert feature (just wire pin 18 to a speaker or to the input on your audio panel).

I don't fly IFR in my RV so I didn't need the pitot heat. It is really cool on final to watch the AOA and know exactly when the wing will quit flying. I was able to reduce my approach speed by 5 mph over what I was flying without it and still feel comfortable.

AoA Sport Installation

I am planning to install the AoA Sport in my -7 and am just about to close the final wing (lower outboard skin only thing left to rivet). Should I get the wing plumbing kit and install now or can the system be relatively easily installed into a finished wing? I know the autopilot servo can be installed later so I plan to wait on that expenditure.
Dave

Dave:

All the metal work can be EASILY performed with the wing complete, you'll do the work through the open tip end. You will need to ensure you have room in your wiring conduit for 2 plastic tubes, each are about 1/8 inch in diameter. Suggest you leave a pull cord in the conduit to ease the install later.

Speaking of the servo, you will also want to leave in a pull cord for that wire harness. My DigiFlight II takes 7 wires to the servo: 5 are 22 AWG signal wires (I used white) and 2 are 20 AWG power and ground (red and black respectively). Alternately, wire the servo harness now. The servo end is a 9-pin female D-sub with power to pin 1, ground on pin 9 and signals on pins 2 through 6. Pin 4 and 5 are selectable for servo rotation direction so you'll only need one of those when done however, I can't tell you which one you'll need in your installation. The real issue I discovered is that the supplied D-sub backshell is far too long for the available space and would require an inappropriate bend thus placing substantial strain on the wires and chaffing of the harness on the wing skin. I don't see a good way to clamp the harness to alleviate the strain/chafing whilst ensuring a service loop for future maintenance. My solution was to build the harness without the backshell and mold my own. A simple project with RTV or "shoe goo".

Another issue to avoid before you get your servo: A conduit won't fit behind the servo. You'll need to use another routing such as through the rib behind the lightening hole or clamped to the lightening hole. Just be aware of your aileron push tube requirement. You might want to hook up the push tubes while you route your run.

Jekyll
PS: I completed my wings last night and can turn full time to the QB fuselage.

uk_figs said:
I am planning to install the AoA Sport in my -7 and am just about to close the final wing (lower outboard skin only thing left to rivet). Should I get the wing plumbing kit and install now or can the system be relatively easily installed into a finished wing? I know the autopilot servo can be installed later so I plan to wait on that expenditure.
Dave

conduit wiring

Jekyll
Thanks for the info, I will check the position of my conduit this evening to check clearence, my QB fuselage will not be her until April so I am trying to figure out what else I can work on in the meantime (and afford :) ) hence thinking about the AoA and servo's. Maybe I can build the harness.

Back