What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

FBO \Aiport in Boca Raton Area

steve murray

Well Known Member
My wife and I are joining up with other family members for a crusie out of Miami on Nov 16th. I found three airports in the vicinity of my sisters house. Pompano Beach, Boca Raton and Ft Lauderdale Executive. I will need to tie down for a week, anybody have any recommendations for safe, economical FBO\Aiport to park for the week?

Steve - Atlanta
RV8

Pompano

I live across the street from the Pompano Airport, so I may be a bit biased.

I would avoid FXE as it is a very busy corporate airport that is a reliever to Fort Lauderdale International. Boca has probably the most expensive avgas, and they are not the friendliest towards GA airplanes.

Pompano is the least busy of the 3, and easiest to get into and out of. Tie-down rates are reasonable. Customer service is so-so, but at least they only deal with small GA airplanes. The triangle shaped runways make winds a non-issue, and you never wait for takeoff or landing.

Whichever airport you choose, fuel up at Pahokee (PHK) or Okeechobee (OBE) as their prices are significantly lower than any of them.

ride

I live in the area (sort of) and I can give you a ride if you need one (pending work hours). I'm in West Palm. I like F45 myself....
Best
Brian

Pompano

Thanks guys, based on location and your feedback I think I will give Pompano a try. Thanks for the offer of a ride, I will have my sister pick us up.

Steve

I live in Deerfield Beach (between Pompano Beach and Boca Raton). I'll second Jim Artlip's recommendations. Boca tries to attract the Biz Jet crowd. They only have a single, cross wind runway. Both Boca Raton and FXE have little or no open space to allow an "off airport" landing.
Pompano is surrounded by the municipal golf course and athletic fields.
Charlie Kuss

Back