What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Assembling Engine, Main Bearing problems???

Scott DellAngelo

Well Known Member
The engine parts book listed #16711 main bearings for the engine. The bearing that had come out was #68763 (ECI does not sell that).

Last edited:
Do a google search on "68763 Lycoming".
You'll find that Superior sells that part and their site will provide a comparison chart with Lycoming Part nos versus their Superior part numbers. There are two different 68763's so they probably make one with the holes and one without.
I would not pull out those pins but make sure to get the correct bearings for your crankcase.
I believe this is the same bearing type used in the O 235, but for the O 320 they may have added the pins due to the extra horsepower. (Just guessing.) But I definitely wouldn't change that without a recommendation from an experienced engine rebuilder.
Good luck.

main bearings

I just had this same problem, eci doesn't make that bearing you will need
something like (if its thin walled) sl68763A, call J&J airparts

830-569-3892 , she knows the number off the top of her head.. awesome
lady..

What I do not understand though, is that I have the Lycoming parts manual for my engine and it lists #16711 for the E3D. The other part number is not even in the book. Hopefully someone can tell me it's okay to remove or else I will have to waste another $50-60 and have to wait until the end of next week to make anymore progress.

Scott

Scott,

Send Mahlon Russell a an email. ([email protected])

He will answer you first thing Monday morning. Better yet, send him the URL to this tread. That is assuming he doesn't read it first.

Good luck!

my a&p guy

the guy that is building my engine (I am helping) said don't pull the dow
pins its a bad idea, I asked the J&J lady about it when I had already sent back one set of bearings to ECI (I sent them back and they sent more that didn't work either) then I drove my engine case and crankshaft to ECI (two hour drive from me to see what was going on with it) last week, I spent and hour with the engine case shop and they figured out they don't make that bearing at ECI, he called J&J and she had 6 sets in stock mine were m003's so not standard by any means.. she had them .. if nothing else call her and
talk.. she knows her stuff..

Danny.

The parts book is screwed up there. There are many E3D's with doweled cases. If you have a doweled case you should use the style bearings for that case.
Good Luck,
Mahlon
"The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts
are hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided responsibly and at you own risk."

Okay I guess I call J&J and others tomorrow morning. Will have to find some other things to work on to keep myself busy until I can get the correct ones.

Thanks,
Scott

Back