What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Testing Pitot/Static system

andrew phillips

Well Known Member
If I have 2 Alt displays (efis and steam) and 2 A/S displays (efis and steam) and I confirm with a manometer that there are no leaks in the system and the instruments give identical readings would it be safe to assume all is well without a full calibration test?

VFR??? Sounds safe enough.

IFR--------I believe it needs to be tested/certified to be legal. I wouldnt want to trust my life to it, when I cant see where I am.

Mel, what is the DAR perspective on this????

Andrew - CAR625 Appendix C (Out of Phase Tasks) requires you to peform 24-month pitot-static tests for any altimetry devices for IFR or for VFR in Class B airspace. Since this is the case, and since you're getting close to first flight (or past? haven't read any news lately...) you're well advised to actually do a full-up P/S test and get it signed off, then you're good to go for 24 months and nobody can ask any questions. (Canadian Airmotive charges something like $400 for this service.)

Just as an aside... If there's another airplane around that's recently gone through its 24-month check you would be well advised to set his altimeter to field elevation, then do likewise with your airplane and compare the numbers in the Kollsman window. This will give you a good double-check.

Be careful with just checking another aircraft and comparing altimeter settings on the ground. Once the aircraft is flying, a lot of things can affect the accuracy of the reading, such as leaks in the pitot/static lines within the cabin, and the location and design of the static ports themselves. Even with a certified pitot/static calibration, if you are going to fly actual IFR I highly recommend flying next to a certified aircraft and actually comparing readings once you have had the ground calibration completed. Also do some VFR approaches and make sure that decision height as published actually looks right. No sense finding out on an actual 200-1/2 approach that your altimeter really reads 200 feet high in flight!

Vic

Back