What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Log book entries

Dgamble

Well Known Member
There's probably as many ways of doing this as there are RVs, but...

What kind of maintenance activities are logbook worthy? Would a tire change require a log book entry? I replaced the sender for the fuel pressure gauge - would that be something I should log? Also, how do you sign the logbook entry? Back when I was doing my own oil changes on my store bought plane, I annotated my sign-off as "Owner" since owner performed oil changes were legal. Same for the RV?

Recording Maintenance Activities

Part 43 to Title 14 which is frequently called the FAR describes the required maintenance entries and tells the certificate requirements to make the repairs and return an A/C to service.

As I understand, an A/C certified experimental requires the same maintenance entries that a production certified A/C requires. The difference is that the owner can do his own maintenance and return the A/C to service. The holder of the repairman certificate or an A&P can sign off the condition inspection which replaces the annual for an experimental A/C. For a production certificated A/C, the annual requires an A&P with an inspection authorization .

Part 43 is available online at http://www.aopa.org/members/files/fars/far-43.html

You should log almost anything you do, if for nothing else, so you can track items. For example if the new tire wears out sooner than expected, you can look back at when you changed it. Logbook entries should include date of service, aircraft total time in service, time since overhaul (if engine related items are involved), your name, type of certificate held (repairman of if you don't have the repairman's certificate use your pilot certificate), and certificate number, what you did, and part numbers for replaced items.
Mel...DAR

Logbook

On a somewhat related note now that I will have to consider maintenance etc as a builder (assuming I finish in my lifetime :D ) do I have to have both a hobbs and engine tacho hour meter in order to determine overhaul intervals. never had to think about this when I rented.
As I plan to go all glass what do most people do in this regard?

Neither is required. Whatever makes it easier for you to keep the time. It is your responsibility to keep track of hours, however you see fit. As far was overhaul intervals, TBOs are "recommendations" not requirements. Many engines will far exceed TBO is maintained correctly and flown often. When I overhauled my engine it had 2815 hrs. on the clock and everything inside was within service limits.
Mel...DAR

Last edited:
zspivey said:
Part 43 to Title 14 which is frequently called the FAR describes the required maintenance entries and tells the certificate requirements to make the repairs and return an A/C to service.

Actually....FAR part 43 does not regulate what logbook entrys are required for an RV because the very first paragraph of FAR part 43 says "This part does not apply to any aircraft for which an experimental airworthiness cetificate has been issued".

That is the reason amature built aircraft are issued operating limitations that have requirements for the intervals of the condition inspection (amoung other things), and what level of certification is required for signing it for return to service.

The operating limitations do stipulate the condition inspection sign must reference appendix D of FAR 43, as a guide for completeing the inspection.

The local FAA airworthiness inspector in our area says that the adminisration interp. is that any maint. activity should be put in the log book (though their is no apparent FAR that I am aware of that requires it). His position is that no disiplinary (or otherwise) action would ever be brought against an RV owner for a log book entry that he made, but that action could be taken for entries "NOT" made.

I usually recommend that any activity completed that required tools (remove an inspection cover, Cowl, Wheel fairing etc.) be entered in the log book. Anything that doesn't require tools or is cosmetic, like add air to tires or touch up paint scratches, need not be entered in the log.

If anything ever happens that would cause FAA personel to look through your log books, and all they find is oil changes and annual condition inspections, they would be very suspicious. If they see more entries than typical, they would likely consider you contiencious about your maintanance. IMHO

Scott M

Back