What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Driggs ID. / Fall Colors / Grand Teton / Perfect Flying Day

ScottSchmidt

Well Known Member
Driggs, ID September 2008

We have had some of the best weather the past two weeks here in Utah and there aren't too many days left until the first snowfall. This year we have yet to visit one of our favorite breakfast places, The Warbird Cafe in Driggs, Idaho. The fall colors should be in peak form and the flight to Driggs should offer up some of the brightest colors in Utah and Idaho.

We arrived at the airport just after 8am, fueled up the bird and headed for the hills. I had Paige pull the plane out while I did the pre-flight. The colorful leaves and fun company made for a spectacular flight!
381533837_cPQZ7-L.jpg

381499980_Trh72-L.jpg

381506367_pN3GJ-L.jpg

381509575_2oFKu-L.jpg

381511654_fhtci-XL.jpg

381510459_7irpx-L.jpg

381512633_yrpYQ-L.jpg

381512157_NX58X-L.jpg

Last edited:
We arrived at Driggs and landed Runway 21. They were towing gliders, but other than that, there wasn't much traffic. I was expecting Driggs to be more busy on such a perfect flying day.
After we tied down the plane, the Lineman informed us that the War Bird Cafe no longer served breakfast. I guess things got slow a couple of weeks ago and they hadn't yet updated their website. Lunch started at 11:00am, but we were hunting for breakfast.

The Lineman suggested we take the courtesy car (a white Chevy Tahoe) into town and have breakfast with the locals at the Milk Creek Grill. What a great recommendation! It was also fun to drive into town. Driggs is a one-stoplight town, they have a corner drug store that sells old fashion fountain drinks and you can even buy a Powerball ticket, which we don't have in Utah.

381516951_HTdVr-L.jpg

381517759_aCu2e-L.jpg

381519218_BnGqn-L.jpg

They flew back to the RV and we departed for home with a detour around the Tetons.

381522425_BQt9y-L.jpg

381521999_nLoRT-L.jpg

381523843_rzvgh-L.jpg

381525781_6KZoJ-L.jpg

381529895_wzJAW-L.jpg

381528632_SEaiz-L.jpg

We had thought about driving up to Grand Targhee but decided to do it next time we are there.

Last edited:
RE:Wonderful Fun

Scott

Once again thanks for the wonderful vicarious RV ride with friends and family. Did you ever think that life could be so good......The pix were wonderful!!!

Frank @ 1L8 ...RV7A... Paint underway or should i say learning to paint

Scott, would you please stop flying places and taking pictures and posting on VAF, it makes me so frigging jealous!

Just kidding. Sort of.

Stop flying places?? No can do.

Scott, would you please stop flying places and taking pictures and posting on VAF, it makes me so frigging jealous!

Just kidding. Sort of.

That is not my intention. Hopefully when you get your RV-7 flying you can use it as a guide to optimize your trips.

I love reading other people trip reports and it always makes me think about new places to go.

I want to fly to Marble Canyon next. I have not been there but hear is another fun trip and has a great place to stay or just eat. Maybe we can get a group to meet there some Saturday or Sunday. I'll post something when I'm heading out.

Don't worry about it. You have a beautiful plane and a beautiful location to fly. I grew up in Idaho and miss it a lot. Couple that with the plane you've got and it leaves me pretty homesick and dreamy!

Keep up the good work.

Absolutely beautiful scenery....

....couldn't help but think..."This land is your land,
This land is my land".......:)

Thanks,

Back