What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Anyone with user info on the P-1000 digital tach from Horizon?

Sheldon

Well Known Member
My mechanical tach is getting flakely and was thinking about the digital tach P-1000 from Horizon for a replacement... Anyone with any experience with one.. Thoughts? My panel is full of steam gauges and this would fit right in..
Thanks, Sheldon:rolleyes:

I put one in...

My mechanical tach is getting flakely and was thinking about the digital tach P-1000 from Horizon for a replacement... Anyone with any experience with one.. Thoughts? My panel is full of steam gauges and this would fit right in..
Thanks, Sheldon:rolleyes:

...my Tiger - I would have liked a Dynon, but it's not possible...:)

I really like it. The numbers are easy to see, don't flicker around or move too fast to read, and the mag drop direct reading feature is nice.

It will also detect a dead magneto in flight, and give you a nice red light.

It was easy to install, needing only power, and two lines to the P-leads at the magneto switch. The kit came very complete with a breaker and harness, unlike the STC'd Mitchell gauge kit I got for the engine instruments....:(

Horizon can make them with any redline (for you O-320 Sensenich prop folks) and add a yellow caution range for any revs if appropriate. Red, yellow and green ranges show up as colored LEDs.

Buy directly from Horizon and get quicker service.

Looked at their site... only 2 1/4" dia instruments... Not sure if I want to fill my 3 1/8" hole with a smaller instrument... nice stuff though..

I was bidding on one listed on ebay several months ago. I think it finally sold for $175. As I was looking into the P-1000 I think there was a snag on using EI so I dropped out of the bidding. Looks like a very nice unit for dual mags though.

We are talking...

Looked at their site... only 2 1/4" dia instruments... Not sure if I want to fill my 3 1/8" hole with a smaller instrument... nice stuff though..

...about the Horizon P-1000 tach - it only comes as a 3 1/8 instrument - which makes it a nice replacement for a standard mechanical unit.

10-01592.jpg

Horizon Tach

The RV6 I just purchased has one of these tachs. It was the first time I have used one but I am becoming very attached to it. The auto drop among other features is really nice. It also has hour meter reading.

Yeah.. would fit right in place of my 3 1/8" mechanical tach... you guys are starting to make me want one... I'm bidding on one on ebay now.. probably won't win.. :mad: we'll see... Thanks for the comments... Sheldon

CAUTION - only original purchaser can use as PFI

I've been talking to another owner who has exactly the same aircraft - engine - prop as do I about his used P-1000. (He's upgrading engines and the tach is matched to a specific engine model.)

It turns out that Horizon will NOT transfer the STC even if I send the unit in for a bench check. This means the only the original purchaser can legally use their tach as a primary flight instrument if it is going into a certified aircraft.

That attitude really closes the resale / used market on their instruments.

Back