What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

APRS Text to email

GrayHawk

Well Known Member
This will be a sister post to my other post on interfacing & using a cell phone in the cockpit.

What I'd like is the capability to text or email my daughters while in the air, only in the event of diverting from the expected flight plan.

Apparently, there is an email capability within APRS or at least Wikipedia seems to think so??? True or not?

Otherwise, I'd like to change the text Comments field in flight to indicate such a change in flight plans to everyone 'listening'. Anyone doing this yet? The new AllInOne (AIO) unit?

Thanks in advance!

E-mail capability

I think its possible to send an E-mail from the comment field, but there is not a lot of space there. You would do that by entering a fixed address and message in the comment field, but I am not sure about how to format these types of messages.

The Micro-Trak TT4 will have a ps/2 keyboard and LCD display for sending text messages.

Allen
VHS

I am still waiting on the 1 KW transceiver that shows the location of other APRS units. An unnamed pilot with APRS is hard to find coming from different spots and ATC would not help.

Back