What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Logbook entry required for GPS Database Updates

N523RV

Well Known Member
Having started my IFR training, I'm working on getting the airplane legal for IFR flight. I came across a forum with some posts that indicated that database updates on your GPS were considered 'maintenance' and thus needed to be logged.

Is anyone doing this or aware of this requirement? Obviously the time it takes to create the log entry isn't long but one more thing to remember to do.

GPS database

The valid dates for the database are displayed at boot-up, and must be acknowledged before the GPS can be used for navigation. I've never seen a requirement to log GPS updates.

IFR

The theory makes sense if the GPS is approved for IFR approaches and you're using it to shoot GPS approaches. As with any other equipment used for IFR flight and approaches it seems logical... but dunno for sure.

How about...

The valid dates for the database are displayed at boot-up, and must be acknowledged before the GPS can be used for navigation. I've never seen a requirement to log GPS updates.

....Appendix A of FAR part 43?

Part of the definition of Preventative Maintenance...

(32) Updating self-contained, front instrument panel-mounted Air Traffic Control (ATC) navigational software data bases (excluding those of automatic flight control systems, transponders, and microwave frequency distance measuring equipment (DME)) provided no disassembly of the unit is required and pertinent instructions are provided. Prior to the unit's intended use, an operational check must be performed in accordance with applicable sections of part 91 of this chapter.

Of course, once you have done the "Preventatiive Maintenance" the record keeping FAR pops into play...

§ 91.417 Maintenance records.
(a) Except for work performed in accordance with §§ 91.411 and 91.413, each registered owner or operator shall keep the following records for the periods specified in paragraph (b) of this section:
(1) Records of the maintenance, preventive maintenance , and alteration and records of the 100-hour, annual, progressive, and other required or approved inspections, as appropriate, for each aircraft (including the airframe) and each engine, propeller, rotor, and appliance of an aircraft. The records must include -
(i) A description (or reference to data acceptable to the Administrator) of the work performed; and
(ii) The date of completion of the work performed; and
(iii) The signature, and certificate number of the person approving the aircraft for return to service.
(b) The owner or operator shall retain the following records for the periods prescribed:
(1) The records specified in paragraph (a)(1) of this section shall be retained until the work is repeated or superseded by other work or for 1 year after the work is performed.

I guess you could claim the the maintenance record is embedded in the GPS, but how do you get around the signature and date bit?

Since the records only need to be kept for one year, a slip of paper in the glove box would be OK...

Remember that the FAA has no definition of a "log book", only maintenance records...:)

gil A - off to update my logs....:D

Last edited:
Yes, this is a requirement as is, similar to the 30 day VOR check. Some keep a sheet of paper and not this as well as the VOR check--most don't.

Part 43 Apendix A

Preventive Maintenance Subpart (C ) Item 32
"updating self-contained, front instrument panel-mounted Air Traffic Control (ATC) navigational software data bases."
All items listed in Preventive Maintenance in Part 43 Appendix A requires an entry.
In the day job we do make entry's for navigational data base updates.
The most popular way that I seen to log this is to keep an avionics log in the airplane used for VOR checks and navigational data bases. It only takes a second to do the entry.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pspages/asaavionics.php

SEP 24 2008, Updated 28 day navigation data base. Joe Blow Pvt Pilot XXX XX XXX and sign.

Last edited:
Techincally I'm pretty sure it's required. I've never done it myself though. I do log VOR checks, probably should do the same for the GX60.

It is interesting...

Me too! :eek:
Looks like the VOR check date you can enter in the SL-30 doesn't cut it either...

...that the GPS update as Preventative Maintenance also covers VFR GPS units.

I fly around (I'm not IFR rated) on an outdated GPS data card (get them cheaper on E-bay after the 28 day legal bit expires) and use current sectionals to stay legal.

If your plane is VFR only, then the VOR checks don't apply, even if you have VORs installed, but an outdated update to a VFR only GPS is required to be logged...

...off to make that glove box piece of paper....

Last edited:
...that the GPS update as Preventative Maintenance also covers VFR GPS units.

I fly around (I'm not IFR rated) on an outdated GPS data card (get them cheaper on E-bay after the 28 day legal bit expires) and use current sectionals to stay legal.

If your plane is VFR only, then the VOR checks don't apply, even if you have VORs installed, but an outdated update to a VFR only GPS is required to be logged...

...off to make that glove box piece of paper....

Gil,

Would this be panel mounted and portable?

-d-

I presume you...

Gil,

Would this be panel mounted and portable?

-d-

...are talking about a Gizmo mounted one....

Here is the text....

(32) Updating self-contained, front instrument panel-mounted Air Traffic Control (ATC) navigational software data bases (excluding those of automatic flight control systems, transponders, and microwave frequency distance measuring equipment (DME)) provided no disassembly of the unit is required and pertinent instructions are provided. Prior to the unit's intended use, an operational check must be performed in accordance with applicable sections of part 91 of this chapter.

...I guess because "disassembly" is required to get it out of the mount to update it, it might not be covered - it's just a portable one...:)

You decide...:)

Yes, this is a requirement as is, similar to the 30 day VOR check. Some keep a sheet of paper and not this as well as the VOR check--most don't.

In my Cherokee, I log both VOR checks and GPS data updates in my maintenance log book that I keep in the plane. I also use this book to track hobbs and tach times.

I plan to do the same when the RV-10 is completed.

Back