What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Paint Line and Painting Bearings?

lrfrey

Well Known Member
I am going to paint my 7A Red over White. Did you use the cowl half split line as the delimiter? Seems like the natural point.

Also, did you paint the rod end bearings (elevators etc) or leave them unpainted (pros and cons)?

Thanks, Larry

Paint design

Larry,
The cowl split is about the best reference for a dividing line on an RV. When I painted my '8', I fell back on my training in art and graphics and went with what "looked right." This involved lots of masking tape. :rolleyes: In my case the dividing line fell about 3 inches above the cowl split line but is parallel with it. My advice would be to get out the inexpensive tape and try a few ideas before you commit to paint. On the bearings, I vote for masking them. I haven't had any ruts or corrosion issues (parked a mile from the beach) in 3 years and it made reassembly and inspection much simpler.

John Clark
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

grease

On a semi-related note... I use grease on bearings if I'm going to be painting around them.... the tape is great... but grease is very reliable and easy to clean off after you are done painting. And... your paint will never stick to the grease.. no matter how hard you try :)

I have not painted anything yet, but I have thought about what to do with the cowl split line. My thought was to make whatever paint scheme I come up with...white in and around these hinge pin areas on the top / bottom split. My thinking is that this area will get the most abuse when removing / installing the top cowling. If it scratches during the removal process, then I believe white touch-up would be the easiest to use and try and hide my "scars".

I can easily be convinced to do something different. As I said, I have yet to paint the exterior.

I used the cowl as the dividing line. Place the cowl on and install the VS and Rudder. Then use a chalk line to strike the paint line while you keep the line even with the cowl split.

I did not paint the emp hinges, just left them the anodized color. If your cowl fits as nice as mine, damage should not happen. I used the Van's cowl hinges and they worked well and the cowl pops right together.

Roberta

done1xn3.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
Thank you all, great suggestions. I never thought about the white vs red hinges. Hummm.....

Larry

Thanks, Boxcars!

If your upper and lower cowl joint is nice and tight, you won't notice the alternating hinge loop colors if you paint them differently.

Roberta

cowlpin2nx2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Just wondering what size compressor you used for this job. I'm using Stewart System paint products. You did a great job.

I used a Citation HVLP system and shot the plane with Poly Fiber Aerothane. The Citation has it's own turbines for spraying and breathing air. I used the standard bottom feeder gun. Thank you.

Roberta

Thanks for all the compliments!! My paint job is certainly not an original, but it fits the airplane. It's simple and easy for anyone to accomplish and a few well placed graphics finishes it off. For anyone as inexperienced as me, just do the KISS mentality. Concentrate on just getting the paint on right.

Thanks,

Roberta

Back