What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

the other LOE 2008

n5lp

fugio ergo sum
DSC03571.jpg

The LOE fly-in originally referred to the New Mexico EAA fly-in in Moriarty, New Mexico. This is a bit confusing. In fact I once e-mailed Doug Reeves to correct him. I said the the real identifier (for Las Cruces) was LRU not LOE and he should change it. What is the real LOE now? The other LOE did have a good turn out this year, despite gas prices, but still not nearly as many RVs as LOE, so for RVs I guess LOE is Santa Teresa.

DSC03584.jpg

The RV-4 in the foreground is a brand-spanking-new airplane that recently had its first flight. That red white and blue RV-6 next to it? I don't know. It said something about Texas on the side so I can only surmise it was some forlorn lost person who landed at this New Mexico fly-in because he saw there were lots of airplanes.

DSC03570.jpg

This is RV-6 builder, Tom Benedict's, beautiful C-170B. Note the neat tent cot that he invented, and is using.

DSC03588.jpg

Two interesting RVs parked side by side. The tan one was built around the same time as mine (a while back). The maroon, blue and orange one is more recent. The tan one was built for a total all-up cost of about $25,000. It is a lightweight, speedy, efficient and capable airplane. The RV-7A is also a very capable airplane built in the more recent mode. Here are the two panels.

DSC03595.jpg

For you newcomers, note the rod that is propping up the canopy. No gas strut to go flat here.

DSC03590.jpg

This is the highly capable panel of the RV-7A.

I was speculating on the relative cost of the entire RV-6 to the RV-7A panel. The builder of the 7A said I was off, but I don't think by much.

This is just the way it seems to be. The RV emphasis has really changed over the years, from a light, simple, fun plane to an IFR cruiser with some of those same old capabilities. No judgment from me. I am a gadget guy from way back and like both things.

DSC03596.jpg

I think this discussion started with the advisability of IFR flight in RVs and then branched to many subjects, such as how to wrench a slider canopy frame into submission, how to seal a canopy, glued canopies and much more. I guess there was sort of a canopy theme to it all.

DSC03610.jpg

Well I have to put the obligatory XM weather photos in here don't I?

DSC03612.jpg

With 100 miles of visibility and 12,000 foot cloud bases, it isn't hard to avoid showers, but it still always interesting to compare the Garmin view to the window view.

DSC03582.jpg

Nice fly-in, it is actually multi-day like the RV LOE event, but I have always just dropped in for the Saturday lunch. This year I had a hot dog with sauerkraut and then walked down for an ice cream sunday at the flea market. Tonight they will be having a banquet.

DSC03584.jpg

The RV-4 in the foreground is a brand-spanking-new airplane that recently had its first flight. That red white and blue RV-6 next to it? I don't know. It said something about Texas on the side so I can only surmise it was some forlorn lost person who landed at this New Mexico fly-in because he saw there were lots of airplanes.
The RV-6, N202TX, was Red Marron's airplane. It has been flying since May of '93 (2 days after mine). Red has lived in NM for quite a few years now. He had to sell the airplane because health issues made it impossible for him to get in and out of it. Red, along with Larry Vetterman, is the driving force behind the "RV" LOE.

...He had to sell the airplane because health issues made it impossible for him to get in and out of it. Red, along with Larry Vetterman, is the driving force behind the "RV" LOE.
Thank you Mel. I was making a little joke, but didn't know why I didn't see Red at the fly-in.

Sorry, I had a late night, got up late, and still a little groggy! Didn't pay any attention to the signature. I should have known.

Nice report Larry - sounds like you had a much more enjoyable weekend than those of us on the east side of Texas - although Louise and I got in a few hours flying, ferrying airplanes out of danger and back! The weather was great this afternoon, but I would have preffered to have been where you are!

paul

Back