What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Somebody talk me out of this.......

N395V

Well Known Member
My shop is soon to be emptyand I cannot imagine not building.

I am 6'2" will I fit in an RV3?

I cannot find any info about the HR1 conversion is it still available?

What engine is on an HR1?

Boy am I in trouble if my wife getd wind of this.

Your dead meat

I don't know you i never heard of you and I definatley did not her the words "build RV3"

HR III?

Are you sure you aren't talkin' about the Harmon Rocket III?

It's powered by an IO-540 like all the other Rockets.

Sorry, I've always been a co-dependent enabler when it comes to flying and airplanes.

Build a RV-3

Build a RV-3

Build a RV-3

Did someone hear something????? ;)

Last edited:
your eyes are feeling tired.....

hummmmm... hummmm.. your eyes are feeling tired.. soon you will reach down to your wallet and pull out your visa and dial 1-503-678-6545 and order an rv-3 tail section along with the preview plans... hummmmm hummm...

Two weeks ago a very nice gentleman named Sonny let me sit in his beautiful rv-3. I'm 6'3", I have a 32 in inseam. I sat with the original cushions the builder had for him and I fit perfectly. I do use the clarity aloft headset so there are no headphone-canopy issues. I'm currently trying to sell my yankee to buy an rv-3 out west. I had about an inch or two clearance with my head from the canopy.

hummmmm... hummmm.. your eyes are feeling tired.. soon you will reach down to your wallet and pull out your visa and dial 1-503-678-6545 and order an rv-3 tail section along with the preview plans... hummmmm hummm...

Build a RV-3

Build a RV-3

Build a RV-3

You'll fit, go for it

My shop is soon to be emptyand I cannot imagine not building.
I am 6'2" will I fit in an RV3?
I cannot find any info about the HR1 conversion is it still available?
What engine is on an HR1?
Boy am I in trouble if my wife getd wind of this.
Milt,

Yes, you'll fit, especially if you build it yourself where you can control certain variables like the rudder pedals the canopy, and the seat cushions.

Regarding the HR1, my understanding is that John Harmon still has the parts for the conversion available. It is built around an angle valve IO-360. A phone call to him will answer all these questions. More info on the HR1 here, and my two RV-3 sites might be of use to you...
www.rv-3.com
www.rv3works.com

For an accomplished builder such as you I think you'd find it a fun project. Of course the finished plane will be a blast to fly, I'm really enjoying mine. With an IO-320 mine performs just fine and I'm virtually always powering back for my other RV pals. Of course you're used to higher performance machines so an HR1 conversion might be more interesting to you. I would love to see someone build a new HR1 so please keep us posted.

Milt,

Check out Mark's HR1 Project.

He bought it thinking he would get it flyign again but has run into to some none project issues and is looking to sell it.

He and this HR1 are a few hangars down from me and I've looked it over.

It will take some work to get back in the air (Mark has a bunch of pictures) but it can be done and probably in shorter time than building from scratch.

Exscuse me for asking but...

..Isn't the title of this thread a bit like going into a bar and asking all yer buddies to NOT buy you a drink?

Duh!....:)

Frank..Now featuring 10% ethanol..But only in the gas tanks..:)

Extended hub propeller without a lower g limit

But wait, thats an extended hub prop..Only rated to 4.5G's...thats no good...;)

Oh and my 7a has a compact hub with a 2.25" prop extension which hasn't fallen off after 330 hours either..:)

Oh man that is a gorgeous airplane...I seriously want it.

Frank

Fortunately, there is an extended hub propeller without a 3.8 or 4.5 g limit. The 3 blade MT Propeller.

And the counterweighted blade version for the Lyc. 360 engine weighs the same as the Hartzell 2 blade propeller, so there is no CG change. (The counterweighed blade propeller is needed for zero G and vertical manuevers.)

Regards,
Jim Ayers
Custom Aircraft Propeller
A division of Less Drag Products, Inc.

Not to change the subject, BUT...

Looking at this beautiful airplane makes me want to remind those getting ready to paint their aircraft that FAR part 45.25(b)(2) states that the "N" number, if on the fuselage, must be between the trailing edge of the wing and the leading edge of the horizontal stabilizer. NOT under the horizontal stabilizer.

Last edited:
Are you sure you aren't talkin' about the Harmon Rocket III?

It's powered by an IO-540 like all the other Rockets.

Sorry, I've always been a co-dependent enabler when it comes to flying and airplanes.

None of you have been helpful in calming my itch to do this.

An HR3??/ The thought of an IO 540 on an RV 3 scares me, but I do like the thought of an IO 360 on one. Mainly I like the looks of the Turtle deck and the cowl on the hR1 I am sure the 320 gives plenty of performance for my needs.

My F1 was a good XC plane and great sport aerobat. The Radial is a phenomonal XC traveller but a rather lumbering aerobat. I think the RV3/HR1 is just what I am looking for as a project and to provide a weekend turn upside down airplane.

Whoever mentioned the advice in a bar analogy is right guess I am just gonna have to drink the koolaid.

Now how do I tell the boss I am gonna sell her Apache and can't work on her horse trailer for another year or 2.?

Work on the horse trailer while you are waiting for the 3 kit to arrive????

Grape flavored, IIRC. Just take a big swallow.

Back