What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New handhelds?

rv9aviator

Well Known Member
I need to buy a new hand held nav com and wondered if anyone had experience with any of the newer radios. What features do you like and does any particular radio stand out above the rest.

Thanks
Jim Wright RV-9A Wings 90919 Arkansas

Handhelds (particularly the HAM and LMR variety) are notorious for having "hot" receiver sections. While a potential problem in those bands due to interference, it's probably much less so in the aviation band.

Keep in mind though, that because you can hear them doesn't mean they can hear you!

here's the article headline (without the detailed tests) from aviation consumer.

May not help without knowing the reasons for their decisions.

VHF Radios:
Sporty?s, ICOM Excel ? Vertex Disappoints

If VOR is important, the Sporty?s SP-200 wins hands down. The ICOM IC-A6 is tops for comm only but we say pass on any Vertex radio.

-mike

Thanks for the help folks. Looks like the Icom A-6 might be what I need.

Jim Wright RV-9A 90919 wings Arkansas

re handheld

I have an older JD 200 I bought from Sporty's about 7 years ago. Great range and reception on the com. Excellent accuracy on the vor and localizer.
Battery life is good. Don't even have it on an external antenna. It works well with the headset adapter using Lightspeed ANRs. (no sidetone though)

A friend has a newer version SP 200 that works just as well. They are rugged units and mine has survived 7 years of careless handling and being thrown about the airplane and flightbag. Even left it setting outside on the wing in the rain one night and it still works. Like a timex watch it keeps on tickin.

Milt

Back