What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Where will you store your RV-12

If you owned an RV-12 where would you store it?

• Tied down, outside

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • In a hangar, wings on

Votes: 18 39.1%
  • In a corner of a hangar, wings off

Votes: 8 17.4%
  • In a trailer, at the airport (maybe brought home for maintenance and/or during the off-season)

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • In a trailer, at home

Votes: 11 23.9%

• Total voters
The reason I want to build an RV-12 is so it can be trailered home for the winter. I would leave it tied down at the airport from April through October, and then trailer it home for the remaining months, November through March, and for maintenance.

My problem is that no hangars are available at my airport and we get winter snow. I don't want to leave an airplane I built outside during the winter.

I won't even need a closed trailer for my needs. I live 2 miles from the airport and the RV-12 would take up half the garage when it's "home".

In hangar wings off.

I own a hanger, with 2 craft already in it already, but no space for another with wings. I want the RV12 cause I can fit it on the side, and make neat wing racks to hold the wings. Then everything will fit nicely.

Kind Regards
Rudi

My vote goes for the hangar, no hassle. But, if I couldn't put it in a hangar it would end up on the ramp, I would buy or make some covers to go over the whole thing if I felt it was necessary. Since it's a metal airplane, I would probably just put one over the canopy and call it good and put a good paint job on it. There is nothing like convenience. Jump in and go.

Hail in Texas will ruin your day

Title pretty much says it all for the Dallas-Ft Worth area. With the thin RV-12 wing skins the wings would look like swiss cheese if you left it on the ramp in our area.

No word yet on when wing kit #105 is a fixing to shipped.

Cooling off in Texas,
Bob Kibby

Back