What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Landing/Taxi Lights?

jetrep

I read in another thread that the wing plans called for running a string through the wing for installing wires for wing lights at a later time. Is there any mention of landing/taxi lights in the plans?

Small mention in plans

In my plans for the -7A it mentions that it will be easier to run the wires and install the leading edge landing lights before the bottom\aft skins are riveted.So I ordered my duckworks light and installed it at that point and in my opinion they were right,it would have been alot harder if all the skins had been on.i also decided to run my pitot plumbing before I sealed the skins permanently ,too.Home Depot sells 1\2" O.D. opaque tubing\conduit that fits perfectly down the tooling holes in the ribs,$.15 a foot ,that I'm running the wires through.Nice ,tight fit and just enough friction to have confidence its not going anywhere.

Nav lights on RV-12

Is there any mention of landing/taxi lights in the plans?

The RV-12 wing plans do not specifically mention lights at this time. However, self-mating terminal blocks with 4 contacts each are included for both wings (despite the fact that only 2 contacts on the left one are used for the stall warning vane). Snap bushings are installed in all ribs in both wings. And as you point out, the plans specifically instruct the builder to run a string in each wing. In addition, Vans has stated publicly that they anticipate offering lights as an option. Several builders have also specifically asked about this (myself included at Sun N Fun) and Vans has verified their plans to offer this as an option (same with autopilot). It just appears that they were not ready with it at the time they released the wing kit.

Back