What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rustoleum Hammered

vmirv8bldr

Well Known Member
I did a search and read about folks using the Rustoleum Hammered Finish paints on their interior, but many of them had just applied the paint and could really not speak to it's durability and ability to be "touched up" occasionally.

I am also considering the Rutoleum Professional machine grey colors, if anyone has used them and can attest to their longevity.

Thanks

I found Rustoleum Professional to be too fragile and I won't use it again for anything that is subject to the slightest wear.

The hammered paint seems to be holding up well to my "builders" wear and tear that the interior is subjected to while building the canopy.

I must be in and out of there 10 times a day, drilling, chips everywhere etc. I just keep towels and padding down on the floors and vac it out allot!

It will scratch and nick and it is not two part urethane but it is working for me.

It can be touched up pretty easy and if you are careful, you can't tell the repair from the original.

I used the Rustoleum Hard Hat spray can. I think the name has since changed. It held up surprisingly well for 365 hours. Planning to do the same on the RV-7.

I did a search and read about folks using the Rustoleum Hammered Finish paints on their interior, but many of them had just applied the paint and could really not speak to it's durability and ability to be "touched up" occasionally.

I am also considering the Rutoleum Professional machine grey colors, if anyone has used them and can attest to their longevity.

Thanks

The Rustoleum Smoke Gray (quart can from aviation aisle of local discount store, thinned with mineral spirits and sprayed with a gun) in the interior of my RV-6 is going on ten years old and is still holding up very nicely. Preparation is the key to the longevity of any finish--prepare the aluminum properly and Rustoleum will be a durable, inexpensive, easily retouched finish.

Rustoleum Professional Stainless Steel has been in my fuselage for over 2 years now. Almost no scratching, despite being abused, but what there is is easily touched up with a paint like this that has some texture.

One other thing about Rustoleum Professional. It takes a solid couple weeks to cure. It will scratch easily within a couple weeks. It is quite difficult to scratch after a couple weeks.

Thanks
Some of my fiberglass parts (lower cowl, wheel pants, intersections fairings) took a beating once upon a time and I haven't restored them to their original color. What I did was 'rattle can' them with Rustoleum Professional Machine Gray from the aviation isle at HD. I think the color is great! I now have about 20 hours on the parts and have not seen adverse wear. If you thinl about it, your wheel pants will need to be repainted in some places about every 2 or 3 years due to wear and tear (some other areas as well). Pull the part off, do some fill, do some sanding and 'rattle can' it -- good for another 2 to 3 years. That is how I am going to deal with those pesky parts! (If I knew how, I would insert a picture!)

Hammered Bronze

I used the Hammered Bronze. It is easily scratched, but also easily fixed. I like the look and would use it again, but dont expect durability.

I used Rustoleum "smoke gray" on most of my interior, and a combo of black and white for a different shade of gray, for my panel. It's held up rather well, but not near as tough as the two part Sherwin Williams Genesis that I painted the exterior with.

Therefor, I repainted the back baggage panel and seats with the Genesis paint. When I re-do my panel, I'll be using the two part Genesis paint also. It's extremely tough, as well as flexable.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

Back