What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Brittain Autopilot

N395V

Well Known Member
I am picking up a plane next week with a Brittain AP (??Pneumatic operated??)

How do these things work? From the vacuum system or do they have their own pump?

They work from the vaccuum system. There is a dash pot in each wing. They only pull. When one pulls the other one relaxes a bit. The control head controls a vacuum solenoid. Also there is a turn and bank indicator with the system that controls the vacuum flow. For an old system it acutally works quite well as a wing leveller. You can find this system on most older Mooneys and some beechcraft. On some of the mooneys it was on full time and in order for the pilot to turn the yoke he.she would press a button that would release the vacuum to the system. I installed one of these systems out of a Mooney in the first RV-6 that I built. Probably the only RV flying with this type of autopilot.

Thanks Norm I just bought an Apache with one and never heard of them before. Sounded weird to run one from cacuum. It apparently attaches to the rudder cables as well as the ailerons.

If you are going to use this autopilot I think I have a couple of dash pots around here somewhere with good rubber in them you can have them for shipping. Mooney I don't think used the rudder dash pots at least not on any I ever worked on. The rudder on them isn't really needed in flight much like the RV. The last time I flew an Appache it cost me $25/hour with the instructor. That won't even pay his wages now. Have fun. I might even have the drawings and manuals around if you need them.

Just flew the Brittain for the first time, Really smooth and responsive.

Norm check your PMs

Back