What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Portable GPS Databases

mhcflyer

Well Known Member
I've seen a lot of comments about all the different portable GPS's out there...Garmin, Avmap, Lowrance, PDA-Based, etc.

The three that are on my "short" list are the Garmin 296, Lowrance 2000C, and Avmap IV.

I've seen comments made about what airports are included in the database (Jeppesen), and more importantly what airports are not included, i.e. small private airports. I was unable to hit the vendors this year at Oshkosh, but was told by someone that Jeppesen was not including the private strips in their databases. That begs the question, which portable GPS units have the small private (grass & paved) strips as airports and not user waypoints? Not only is this a convenience for local flyins, but a safety factor (Nearest in emergency!). My Ipaq GPS mapping software has private airport capability, but I'm planning on moving to a dedicated unit when the panel starts going together.

Thanks,
Michael
:confused:

How small are you talking about

All the databases, and I am no expert, comes from many sources and most are government or national public source data bases (for terrain, roads or antenna towers).

If the AFD (airport facilities directory) or sectional shows it, you can expect that Jeppesen will include it in their database. I am not aware of Jeppesen excluding small airports intentionally in the public records.

Most small private and even restricted strips are on sectionals and/or listed in the AFD.

Why do you ask? Is there something specific? GO the AirNav.com. Do you see it there?

If it is an unlisted grass strip in someone?s corn field or gravel bar on a river, not shown on any sectional, chance is good you will not see it in a GPS data base. If you are looking for Groom Lake (area-51) you will not see it in the database because it does not exist.

When ready to buy I would call or e-mail the company andask that question or even ask if spacific airports are in the data base.

Keep in mind you can always add it to your personal database. Most GPS allow custom locations to be added by the user. G

Last edited:
sonex293 said:
The three that are on my "short" list are the Garmin 296, Lowrance 2000C, and Avmap IV.

FWIW, I see that the three units listed use Jeppesen data. My Garmin 296 does not show the private airstrips that I'm familiar with, in my local flight area. My sectional charts do.

Since it's very easy to add them, it would not be critical on my wish list. I wanted the terrain data more than everything else, and Garmin was first....... and won!

L.Adamson

GPS Data Base

I use a 196 Garman which does not have the smaller airstrips.
Recently I flew with a fellow with a Control Vision Anywhere Map System which did show the smaller private strips that are shown on the sectional.

AL Smith
RV 6 Finish
N495AB Reserved

All, on the Garmins (196 & 296), if you hit the Nearest button, does it present you with Jeppesen airports as well as the user entered waypoints/airports?

gmcjetpilot, I'd just like to have all airports presented on the paper sectional to be available if I hit the nearest button.

--Michael

Thanks, did not know that

sonex293 said:
All, on the Garmins (196 & 296), if you hit the Nearest button, does it present you with Jeppesen airports as well as the user entered waypoints/airports?

gmcjetpilot, I'd just like to have all airports presented on the paper sectional to be available if I hit the nearest button.

--Michael
Yes, I did not know that and never noticed on my Garmin. I am sure dropping the small airports makes the data base smaller, but would think not by much. I wounder if it Jeppesen or Garmin limiting the data? I agree, I would also like all the airports, small, pvt and restricted. G

sonex293 said:
--Michael

Hitting the "nearest button" will list all nearest airports. The menu on top (using the hat switch), will allow selection of nearest airports, VOR's, NDB's, Intersections, and "User Waypoints" along with a few other selections. The Waypoint will have the description that you've gave it. Gamin 296

L.Adamson

Back