What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Best Lycoming engines for RV's

BillC

Well Known Member
Just started on fuselage and for some reason I feel that I need to decide and purchase the engine. I know I have some time to decide but I want to order the finish kit before the end of the year and don't want to order it until I know what engine I'll be using. Anyway, after getting very confused with all the various engine sub-types, I thought I would pose the question here. I'm building an RV9A so I'm looking at the O-320s. Van's calls for using the O-320-D1A but since I'm not seeing many of these on the used market I have been looking for alternatives such as the D2 or E2 series. Are there any known engines that will work better or will not work in an RV? (I have already nixed the H2AD.) I'm not too concerned with the 150 vs 160 hp question or the CS vs FP. I plan on going simple to start with so fixed pitch is fine.

Thanks in advance for all any any comments

Any O-320 will work fine on a -9A. Avoid the E3G or other engines with the carb mounted toward the back of the sump. While they can be made to work the area between the airbox and the nose gear gets very cramped. Also some of the O-320s used in Cessnas don't have a mechanical fuel pump. You will need one.
Mel...DAR

The cheapest most airworthy or NEW

Going fixed is a good idea, especially since the Sensenich line of metal props has come out specifically for the RVs in the last year or so.

You may resign your self to paying for a new engine, which will provide real value. Since ECI and Superior have came out with their clones, the price of a new engine are really a bargain. Buying a used engine can be hit or miss, the miss part may cost many thousand and you will end up with an overhauled engine that cost as much as if you went new from the get go.** However if you can find a running engine and FWF say off a RV that is upgrading to a 180HP that can represent a real bargain. If you by a core and it is good it will cost $8,000-$10,000 to rebuild. If you pay $5,000 for the core you are up to $15,000. If you have any hidden surprises it may end up costing as much or more than a new engine, and you still have a used engine. If you buy used shoot for a running engine that will be able to be used as is with out rebuild, other wise going new is not a bad deal.

Mattituck and Aero-sport are kind of the king of the hill's in providing and catering to experimental builders. There are many great shops, these are just two that come to mind I know have a great reputation. Also you can build your own engine out of new parts and save some money, however I think the value of having a pro shop build, test and warrantee the engine is worth the small additional cost (about $2,000?). In the end a new engine will give you 10 to 20 years of trouble free flying and if youn sell it will add to the value. (As far as buying a fixed pitch only or C/S prop engine, consider buying a C/S prop engine for future upgrade potential, just an idea.)

Good Luck G

**I bought a used O-360A1A for cheap and got lucky and rebuilt it myself. I lucked out and have a zerotime 180hp engine for less than $12,000 so uesd can be a savings but will take more effort.

Last edited:
no rush

Bill,
There is no need to have the engine before ordering the finishing kit. You can backorder the engine mount and anything else until you know the model engine you are getting. That's what I did and Vans was great about it. On my -9 I tried to complete everything except the panel before getting my engine. I went with PennYan Aero for a beautifully build O320 D series, 160 hp, 0Time, 1 mag, 1 lightspeed II+, f/p, log book, test run data, and basically everything new except the case for 17.5K shipping included.
Take your time to decide what is best for you.
Bruce
Flying early '06?

Any thoughts on ECI's Titan kit-engine?

Howdy fellow RVer's. I too am beginning the fuselage section of my RV-9 and was sitting here thinking about engine options. I realize it is a bit early to develop any kind of ulcer over this subject, but why wait! Bill and I are in the same boat; O-320 w/fixed pitch prop. Does anyone have any info regarding the Titan kit from ECI? I am curious as to whether it is cost effective. I realize warranty is an issue (I will be taking that into consideration), but I have several years of recip engine overhaul experience under my belt and feel rather comfortable building the engine myself. Any thoughts?
Jerry C., RV-9 (125JV)

Eci

I have an ECI IO360 kit engine. It was built by one of their reps who is an A&P. I wanted the kit version so I could learn about it. Build time was roughly 10 hours. I painted the case, sump and accessory housing which added time. ECI was great to work with and there are some great features with the ECI, such as oil nozzles for the cam lobes and a couple of other oil paths built into the machining. ECI is also coming out with a couple of new sumps and their own Fuel Injection system.

:My engine has the vertical induction system, Emag/Pmag, and the Precision FI servo. I will be firing mine up in the next few weeks. We have another 7 in the area with an ECI and he is running strong with 50 or so hours on it and several others in the works.

Contact Robbie Attaway at www.attawayair.com for details and pricing on the ECI line.

Darwin N. Barrie
Chandler AZ

Back