What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Looking for input on a paint scheme

DeltaRomeo

doug reeves: unfluencer
Staff member
...posted for Nico (can be reached at nicojc 'at' mweb 'dot' co 'dot za)

vliegtuigxe9.jpg

Last edited:
Since the fuselage behind the cockpit tapers in height, I never know whether Registration markings/N-numbers should be parallel to the bottom or the top (or even somewhere in between).

The more I look at this scheme, the more I think the letters should be parallel to the bottom of the fuselage.

I could be wrong about this. Any design majors out there?

Observations

I think the registration number is fine where and oriented as it is. I think it should be aligned with the perceived center line of the fuselage and line of flight.

I think the design looks fine. By that I mean it is clean, it is unique, the colors go well with each other and design goes well with the side view of the airplane. The theme is carried through to the wheel fairings effectively. It is very eye catching. What is done with the wings and horizontal tail could ruin everything and will present a challenge to get right; all white would be the safest. As a practical point, the white bottomed fuselage will show oil very clearly and quickly.

Bob Axsom

I really like the overall design!

You might just try putting some black pin-striping around the gray to help keep it from "fading" into the white - the design is nice and sharp, but the lack of contrast between the gray and white can blur that crisp look.

I agree with Bob on the registration numbers - they seem fine, because they'll align with the direction of flight....

But then, I am not a design major!

Paul

Sharp design, and unique! I tire a bit of the ubiquitous white basecoat, and would like to see a silver, keeping the red and making the grey very dark (or change color to gold). One could even incorporate South African tribal art themes and colors (eg ochres, browns, reds).
I like the flash on the wheel pant, and agree with Bob to leave the wing alone. I thought of various designs for the wing, but it would either clash or draw away from the stylish but modest fuse artwork. Long and thin slashes run best lengthwise - on the wing, it would look off running along the chord, and totally wrong along the wing length perpendicular to the fuse. Maybe a modest flash near the wing tip angling outward as one goes aft. Maybe the wing bottom, so when it was in view from below, the fuse sides would be nearly invisible. Regarding the registration, I prefer it as is in line with level flight/thrust line. The 'RV7' on the tail top looks a little askew, and should be parallel to the N number. The registration is a bit bold and detracts a little from the flash motif - in South Africa, can the letters be smaller or in another color like grey?
My 2 rands worth... .

Back