What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing parts labeled wrong

Mich48041

Well Known Member
RV-12 wing tip hand hold parts are labeled wrong. Part number W-1204G-L and W-1204G-R in my wing kit came with the labels switched. When part W-1204G-L would not fit correctly on the left wing, I tried W-1204G-R in its place and it fit perfectly. My friend who is also building a RV-12 said that he hard a very hard time assembling the wing tips. We suspect that he used the parts as labeled and had to bend them to get them to fit.
Joe

thanks for the heads up

I read that somewhere else in these forums also. Thanks to you guys I won't go nuts when I reach that step in a few days. I'll be ready (who knows maybe mine are right ... but I'll be ready).

Let me know how the wing tips go. I'm a bit nervous about them. :(

Anyone else follow Jim Cone's method of getting the left and right wing walker doublers to fit ... all that strapping necessary? Is there perhaps a less involved way? I hope so.

Upon reading ahead ... I can't figure out how one is pull a rivet thru the small aluminum part and then thru the hole drilled in the counterweight tubes. I have at least a week to figure that out (bending necessary?). A little advice? :confused:

I ordered and received 2 extra aluminum extrusions to fabricate the 6 parts on the flaperons. That looks tricky. If (when) I mess them up. :rolleyes: I'll be ready to give it another go (only $5.00 each).

So far I've used my new band saw to cut 2 little plastic parts. I know it'll come in handy on the fabrication!

I'd love to finish my wing kit by the time kit #2 is offered. It took one month to get the wing kit from the time I ordered it ... guess it'll take that long for kit #2 to be sent too. I might need that extra month! :)

(7/29/2008: Mine were labeled incorrectly also. Glad I found out in advance. Thanks for the heads up guys.)

Last edited:
Seems like my hand holds were labeled backwards also. Bending the tabs on the wingtips has one little booby-trap. Watch out that on one tab toward the front, you only bend the tab unlike one on the rear where you bend the tab and part of the next section. Surprisingly, the wingtip fit on very easily and accurately and I am sure at least a few tabs were a degree or two off. I mean, what's the difference between 30 and 31 degrees from a practical viewpoint? On bending the wingwalk skins, fortunately the guy in the hangar next door has a sheet metal brake (bender).
Bart

Strapping

Almost forgot. If you strap the wing skins to get the rivet holes to line up, remember to put a block of wood along the trailing edge as shown in Jim Cones pictures so you dont crush the trailing edge structure. We almost did but luckily, there was a third pair of eyeballs watching. Also, you dont need as many straps as Jim had. We found that two was sufficient but the more you have, the more you spread the load on the rear wing structure.
Bart

mine were labeled correctly but no holes predrilled in spar...arrrghhhh. didn't use any straps for doublers...no prob. jerry....when you cut to fab pieces on your band saw be sure your are using at least a 1/4 inch blade...that's pretty thick stuff for 1/8 inch.

Pete

Back