What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fault finding question

az_gila

Well Known Member
Could any of the APRS experts look at my tracks (N12GA) and hazard a guess at what's going on?

I'm out travelling, and the July 1/2 tracks across AZ, NM - a stop at Amarillo - and on to Springfield, MO worked reasonable well.

Then no track from Springfield to Burlington, IA....:confused:

Then only one "hit" on the trip from Burlington to Sioux City, IA which was right in the middle of the Des Moines Class C.

No hits from Sioux City to Rapid City, SD.

Then on the next trip from Rapid City to Ft. Collins, CO, again, only one hit, this time on final at 400 ft into KFNL.

Could an expert look at the raw data, and see if anything is obivious? I know my antenna isn't the finest, but it worked initially.

I have a MicroTrak 300 with the Byonics power supply module and a byonics GPS2 reciever. I have an LED on the 12 v supply and that appears OK.

The LEDS on the card indicate good GPS track, and a "blip" every 2 minutes.

I'm guessing a bad antenna wire, but confused I don't get more hits when flying higher.... Perhaps I got my programming screwed up, or it "re-programmed" itself....

gil A - on the road... KE6HAP

Last edited by a moderator:
Could any of the APRS experts look at my tracks (N12GA) and hazard a guess at what's going on?

I'm out travelling, and the July 1/2 tracks across AZ, NM - a stop at Amarillo - and on to Springfield, MO worked reasonable well.

Then no track from Springfield to Burlington, IA....:confused:

Then only one "hit" on the trip from Burlington to Sioux City, IA which was right in the middle of the Des Moines Class C.

No hits from Sioux City to Rapid City, SD.

Then on the next trip from Rapid City to Ft. Collins, CO, again, only one hit, this time on final at 400 ft into KFNL.

Could an expert look at the raw data, and see if anything is obivious? I know my antenna isn't the finest, but it worked initially.

I have a MicroTrak 300 with the Byonics power supply module and a byonics GPS2 reciever. I have an LED on the 12 v supply and that appears OK.

The LEDS on the card indicate good GPS track, and a "blip" every 2 minutes.

I'm guessing a bad antenna wire, but confused I don't get more hits when flying higher.... Perhaps I got my programming screwed up, or it "re-programmed" itself....

gil A - on the road... KE6HAP

Gil, looks like aprs.fi has purged the raw data from your flights except for the last beacon in CO. That beacon looks good. I suspect you have an antenna problem if the config has changed since the tracker last worked properly.

Thanks Sam

Gil, looks like aprs.fi has purged the raw data from your flights except for the last beacon in CO. That beacon looks good. I suspect you have an antenna problem if the config has changed since the tracker last worked properly.

Sam...can you get more info from here?

http://www.mail2600.com/cgi-bin/track.cgi?call=N12GA&days=30&hours=0&tiny=1&elim=0

I'll check the antenna for loose stuff... it's the fine wire antenna from Byonics taped to the window.

I'm just surprised the good hits are low down and not flying high...

gil A - still in Ft. Collins...

I'm just surprised the good hits are low down and not flying high...

Gil,

That's a pretty good indication of an antenna problem. You're heard only when you're very close to a station and additional altitude will not help. Your last packet (on 2008-07-18 17:31:25) was digipeated by K0UT-5 who was 8 miles SW as you were SW- or S-bound. I experienced the same phenomena once when a push-on coax connection became disconnected and my transmitter radiated a very puny signal.

Joe, K7JD

Gil,

That's a pretty good indication of an antenna problem. You're heard only when you're very close to a station and additional altitude will not help. Your last packet (on 2008-07-18 17:31:25) was digipeated by K0UT-5 who was 8 miles SW as you were SW- or S-bound. I experienced the same phenomena once when a push-on coax connection became disconnected and my transmitter radiated a very puny signal.

Joe, K7JD

Thanks Joe... that was sort of what I suspected....

I would like to just replace the RG-174 co-ax, but I'm on the road.

Anyone know where I can get a 3 to 4 ft. SMA ended cable in Colorado Springs?

gil A - off to KCOS tomorrow after a Rascal Flatts concert in Cheyenne tonight....:)

Back