What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Backpacking by RV-6

MacNab

Well Known Member
We finally did something with 'our little time machine' that we’ve been wanting to do for a while now. We loaded up our backpacks and put them in the back of our RV and flew 425nm to Visalia, CA from our home base at Phoenix, Deer Valley, over the weekend of July 11-14 (yes, it was a long, fun, weekend). We picked up an economy rental car at the Visalia airport for $16 dollars a day and drove it to the trailhead in Mineral King Valley, at the southern end of the Sequoia National Park. From there it was all uphill to Eagle Lake, situated a little over 10,000 feet on the west side of Mineral King Valley. From sweltering 100's in the San Joaquin valley to 70's in Mineral King. It was very pleasant and relaxing.

Yes, Virginia, you can even go backpacking in a Van's RV. I'm now rethinking airplane camping. From now on, we plan to have everything we need for camping in our backpacks. That way we have the option to either plunk down right next to the plane, or throw on the packs and away we go to a destination inacessible by plane.

This would have been a long and difficult trip to plan in anything other than a personal airplane. And the RV does it fast and efficiently. Love it.

Check out the entire Picasa album here: http://picasaweb.google.com/ClanMacNab/MineralKing

MK0002.jpg

A stopover in Tehachapi CA for 'cheap gas' and a great breakfast at the Apple Shed. Visibility was hampered by smoke from all the fires (one just 20 miles north of Tehachapi).

MK0003.jpg

MK0009.jpg

On the ramp at Visalia airport. Two backpacks and some extra gear and clothing fit very well in the back of an RV-6.

MK0011.jpg

On the easy part of the trail out of Mineral King Valley.

MK0017.jpg

Near the top of the 2200' grade. The trail is a little over three and a half miles.

MK0021.jpg

Days in the low 70's and nights in the low 50's while we were there. Thankfully most of the smoke from all the California fires was below us.

MK0026-1.jpg

Looking across Eagle Lake from the west end.

Last edited:
Backpacking by RV-6 continued...

MK0031.jpg

There was still a lot of snow around the lake.

MK0038.jpg

MK0041.jpg

Glacial polish. There are more interesting pictures of the area geology in my web album.

MK0044.jpg

Only one other overnight group of two and a few day hikers and fishermen were up here.

MK0057.jpg

Cold, clear, water...lots of Brook trout too.

MK0089.jpg

Our cozy camp in the trees on the north side of the lake.

MK0092.jpg

More interesting geology along the trail.

Last edited:
Backpacking by RV-6 continued...

MK0094.jpg

A mature bear and a yearling bear in the upper meadow. The yearling made it most of the way into the willows before I could bring my camera to bear. :) The older bear was after a deer that was only a few feet off the trail in front of us. The bear didn’t realize we were there until she ran up onto the trail about forty feet in front of us. It gave all of us quite a start, but she ran the other way when I did my Yeti imitation. :)

We also saw a bunch of other wildlife on the trip, including, deer, marmots, pika, chipmunks, and several varieties of birds. On Sunday morning we had four deer in our camp. The marmots will chew on anything, so marmot proofing the campsite was necessary. They still got a hold of my wife’s flipflops and the handle of my walking stick. Have a look at the measures that people go to protect their cars from the marmots in the web album. Not sure what it would take to protect a plane from them.

All and all, this was a very good trip, made more interesting, fun, fast, and easy by our RV-6.

Last edited:
Backpacking

Doug:

Amazing photos. When I was in the USAF years ago, I camped in the general area several times. Even with your awsome photos it's hard to describe to someone who's never been there............Thanks!

Beautiful!

Now THAT'S where I want to go with the RV....gonna have to add it to the list next time we go out to Big Bear....a backpack full of stuff is all we need!

Paul

Maybe next time. . .

Thanks for stopping and saying Hi! ! !

Glad you enjoyed our little piece of the California paradise. . .

Next time take an extra day and spend some time in Visalia. We have a great downtown/Main Street area with great restaurants and atmosphere. Spring and Fall are the best times to visit. . . This time a year it's a bit warm. . .

You don't have to twist my arm too hard to share a Pint at Brewbaker's or some Carnita's and Margarita's at Alejandro's. . .

Great photo's. I've hiked Mineral King a few times, but never in the RV. I have to admit what puts me off is driving up that 2 lane road all the way to the trailheads. Your photo's are inspirational, though. Maybe a late summer trip is in the cards.

Next week my son and I are taking the RV to NM for a backpack trip at the Philmont Boy Scout Ranch.

John Allen
RV-6A

Visalia RV's

We have four RV's flying and seven more under construction in Visalia. On your next trip to Mineral King, let us know you're coming. Probably good for a free meal and maybe even a place to sleep. :)

EAA Chapter 262

Marmots?

Beautiful country and great photos, but you've got me curious about the Marmots. What do they do to the cars?

Hey Jason and Bo,

I grew up in Bakersfield and have been wandering around the Sierra Nevada's since I was ten. Probably explains my lack of finishing and refinement. Wasn't hardly a summer when I wasn't packing or climbing somewhere in the Sierras. Mineral King is one of my favorite backpacking locales because it sees so little use and because of its amazing scenery and alpine geology. That intimidating twenty-five mile twisty road is what helps to keep Mineral King the unspoiled beauty that it is, and I hope they never improve it.

We were in a pretty big hurry to get airborne when we got back to VIS from the hills. A major shock to the system, concerns about being burned by seat belt buckles, dehydration, and all that. It was 3:00 in the afternoon and pretty toasty. Funny thing that even with the freedom of our own speedy little airplane we still find ourselves driven by external factors. Next time I'll try to be a better neighbor. :)

Really enjoyed the artistry of your EAA Chapter 262 compass rose in the run up area of 30, Bo.

Beautiful country and great photos, but you've got me curious about the Marmots. What do they do to the cars?

Well, I had to take a look and found this:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1169/is_2002_Feb-March/ai_89436287

I can't even think of anything we've got up here in MN that compares. Yeah, the bears steal your food and the deer get in front of your car, but...

Yea, that article describes it very well. Seems to me that marmots like to chew on anything with a rubbery consistency to it. There is one legendary marmot that traveled all the way from Mineral King to San Diego in the engine compartment of a car. After arriving home, the owner of the car opened the hood when he heard a commotion under it, and out jumped a very PO'd marmot.

There is also very little natural salt in the area, so all the animals up there are looking for it wherever they can find it. Salt licks at the pack stations disappear very quickly.

No fishing?

Dave,

You're tearing my heart out with those great photos, but you nailed two of my favorites - flying and backcountry hiking.

But where are the fish pix? Were there no fish up there or did the out of state fishing license cost put you off?

Hi Kirk,

Normally I carry a pack fly rod. But because my wife was with me on this trip I decided to leave the fishing gear at home this time and plan to do day hikes in the area instead. A bottle of wine was substituted for the fly rod. Of course, my attitude changed completely when we got to the lake Friday evening and the lake was boiling with feeding brookies. :rolleyes: Next time I won't worry about the extra weight and I'll bring both - maybe even a second bottle of wine.

Decided once we were there to concentrate instead on picture taking, hiking, and relaxation on this trip.

Back