What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

1D2?

N941WR

Legacy Member
It looks like I am going to spend the night at 1D2 Mettetal Airport on my way to OSH next Friday.

It has been 20+ years since I have been there (That's where I got my PPL), is there any thing I should be aware of regarding leaving the plane out over night?

1D2

Hi, Bill. Tying down at Mettetal shouldn't be a problem. I don't remember what the tie-down rate is, but it isn't expensive and the first night is free if you buy gas. I believe gas is something over $5 a gallon, but that isn't unusual. You can call them for the details, 734-459-6627. There is normally plenty of room on the ramp. I don't remember hearing about any problems with vandalism.

The runway was been shortened a year or so ago. The put a joke of a security fence at the north end of the runway. It isn't a problem, just a little shorter.

I'd love to meet you out there and check out your plane, but I will be out of town for the weekend.

Darryl,

Thanks for the update on 1D2. I can't believe they shortened the runway. I always thought they were looking for ways to lengthen it.

Back in the mid 80's when I was learning to fly there, there was still a corn field on the end of the runway and we used to practice hitting the tops of the corn with the landing gear. That was how you knew you were low enough. I suspect the people in the apartments/condos that have been built there wouldn't appreciate that kind of approach.

It looks like we are going to miss each other as I'll only be there one night and am taking a different route home.

Saturday

Darryl,

I'll be flying in there Saturday evening (1st time there) and heading to Oshkosh on Sunday morning. Mom & Pop's in-law are taking us to breakfast before departing. I'll have to be careful not to upset my W&B.

Appreciate the info.

I'll get there one of these years

Bill,

Yeah, it figures I won't be around when you get there. I'd be happy to talk airplanes and buy dinner if I was in town.

The runway isn't that much shorter, just a little. There is still a field at the south end of the runway, but it isn't as large as it used to be. When you land on 18 you pass over a building that wasn't there in the 70's when I was learning to fly. I don't recommend trying to clip it with your landing gear.:eek:

I hope you have a great trip to Osh and a lot of fun there. I've been to Sun 'n Fun, but never Osh. Some day!

Darryl

The shorter runway is no big deal, where I'm based the runway is 2300' x 30'.

Thanks everyone for the info and have a safe trip!

Welcome to 1D2

Mike,

1D2 is a decent little airport. Easy to get in and out of. The area around it is nice and I'm sure your in-laws can show you around. There are plenty of good places to eat.

With a couple of RVs coming in, I wish I was going to be around to check out and meet some builders. There are three or four based at Mettetal, I've visted a couple of them. There is a pretty nice EAA chapter building on the field, too. You can't miss it.

Have fun at Osh and fly safe.

Mini Oshkosh

I'm looking at the forums and going 1D2, 1D2, I've been there. Any chance you'll be around long enough for some gawkers? Your configuration (light weight) is one that I'm interested in.

Eric,

No problem at all. I hope to be there around noon on Friday but things will probably change between now and then.

PM me your phone number and I'll give you a call when I land.

Novi, I suspect you have been there.

Mike,

1D2 is a decent little airport. Easy to get in and out of. The area around it is nice and I'm sure your in-laws can show you around. There are plenty of good places to eat.

With a couple of RVs coming in, I wish I was going to be around to check out and meet some builders. There are three or four based at Mettetal, I've visted a couple of them. There is a pretty nice EAA chapter building on the field, too. You can't miss it.

Have fun at Osh and fly safe.

Been to the area many times but always with the $49 one way Southwest route to DTW. This is the first time in the RV. I will be getting in probably around 7PM Saturday evening then out by 9M Sunday. Pretty quick turn around but plan to fly to and from the area from time to time. With two of us it is quicker, cheaper, and much less hassle (TSA at BWI) than flying commercial.

1D2

Bill,

I fly into 1D2 several times a year from Poplar Grove, IL and am very pleased with Doug and Kitzie aviation. The cost for the hanger is very fair and I almost always use it. It is $10.00 per night and the first night is $5.00 if you purchase fuel. I was there over the July 4th weekend and it was very nice to preflight and load up in the shade of the hanger. Be sure to sign in the visitors log as they want to have proof the airport is being used and is a vital asset to the area. There is a Coney Island restaurant with reasonable prices and good food across the street if you need it.

Have a safe trip and enjoy OSH,

Joe Hesano
Poplar Grove, IL (C77)

Back