What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oshkosh Checklist....

ncarmon

We are going to Oshkosh next sunday. Does anyone have a list of "stuff" to take if we are going to camp?

Can you share your checklist?

Thanks!

I've probably forgotten something, but here is what SWMBO and I usually take:

Camping/outdoor stuff:
Tent & Footprint (Note - get a good tent. Oshkosh T-storms tend to find all the leaks in cheap ones)
Thermarest air mattresses
3 sheets, two fleece blankets, two camping pillows
Soft side cooler
two aluminum folding chairs
Sunscreen
Bug repellant
Bath towels (our worst ones - we toss 'em at the end of the show).
shower shoes
LED flashlights (headband type)
garbage bags.

Clothes:
undergarments & socks
1 pr jeans each
Shorts and shirts for the duration of the stay.
Windbreakers
Ponchos
1 long sleeve shirt each
1 hat each

Other:
sunglasses
cameras
toiletries
earplugs
books (1 ea)
Itenerary - list of places and times of forums we want to attend.

Airplane Stuff:
Tie-downs
Tools
Maps
NOTAM/Procedures
extra AA batteries
Ipod
Headsets
GPS
2 - 6"x12" pieces of plywood to go under the main wheels in the parking area (to prevent sinking in, if the soil is soft).

This list usually comes out to about 85 lbs of stuff.

costco chairs

Costco has some back pack chairs that are perfect and $20 each. Last year we didnt have chairs this year they are ready. Go back to camp for lunch and a cold one, grab your chair, they have built it backpack to carry stuff, nice straps to wear like a back pack for an hour or so till air show starts.
As soon as i sam them my wife and i smiled and said perfect oshkosh chairs.

To the above list I would add:

Survival stuff:
Hat (to me much better than ball cap, YMMV)
Water bottle (though you can get one about anywhere)
Snacks. Lunch on the flight line is awful and time consuming. Take granola or whatever you like, eat an ice cream cone and buy a good dinner later in town. I often carry summer sausage (uncut pack) or beef jerky for lunch.
Camp stove is nice
Coffee pot. Plug in at the showers and wake up two ways!
Money. It comes in handy.
Paper towels
Rope for clothesline
Make that poncho a cheap pocket model; take two if you like.
A coat-of-many-pockets to hold it all.

Plan around the forums you want to attend. Don't push and you will enjoy it more.

Bob Kelly

I see GPS on the list but not a mention of Charts.

Thanks for the list, it is very helpful.

Tent Leaks/Tiedowns

Sealing the seams in your tent will stop a lot of the normal leaks. Set up your tent, thin some clear silicon seal with mineral spirits until the consistency of paint, brush it on all the seams with a throw-away brush, let it dry/cure.

Also, take some extra line and stakes so you can tie things down really well. Some of the thunderstorms pack a punch. Nothing worse than a tent that is wet on the inside.

...Joe

Here's another dumb question...

Is there some place, away from all the planes where it is acceptable to light up a camp stove, say to cook breakfast with?

Is there some place, away from all the planes where it is acceptable to light up a camp stove, say to cook breakfast with?

Sure, Bill. Do it every year. If you camp, that is about the only way to get breakfast and still make it onto the flightline early. Also you could make lunch, but we don't. I refuse to eat anything except the soft serve ice cream (and what I carry with me) on the flightline. Dinner is always in town. The coffee pot plugged in at the showers works well and I have never seen anyone else do it. So, if you see a coffee pot, I am probably close by...

(Added) If you are talking about the airplane camping area, I don't know. I always camp in the campground. Maybe someone else can comment?

Bob Kelly

Last edited:
Camp Stove

Down by the shower house is probably a good place to set up a stove. You could probably get away with it near the airplanes, as long as you are safe about it. We have had a large amount of rain this year so the grass is not the dry brown tinder box that it has been the last few years.

Just don't do what I saw one guy do a couple years ago, and put one of these on the ground in the very dry grass right next to his airplane. That will earn you a talking-to.

548650.jpg

(Added) If you are talking about the airplane camping area, I don't know. I always camp in the campground. Maybe someone else can comment?

Bob Kelly
Yep, I am talking about aircraft camping.

Anyone have an answer?

Jeff,

I do a LOT of backpacking and I just don't like those "lightweight" stoves. Too many parts to get lost, hoses to clog, etc. I use one of these:
85210.jpg

In ten years of use at temps down to five above and at altitudes over 14K, it is the only stove that I have seen that works every time and has never left me eating a cold meal. Besides, it weighs just about the same as the stove you pictured, when you add in the bottle and there are times I would happily carry a few extra ounces if I know the equipment will work.

Last edited:
I just grabbed that picture at random to show the type of stove the guy was using. I certainly don't endorse them.

In the rules...

Here is a quote from the EAA website:

The Oshkosh Fire Department strictly prohibits wood campfires and charcoal grills (per National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) standards) anywhere in the aircraft camping areas on Wittman Regional Airport grounds.

Careful use of white gas or propane fired camp stoves is allowed in showplane camping, provided they are used in an area well away from parked aircraft, and that the stove is attended at all times. It is strongly recommended that aircraft near the stove be checked for any fuel fumes or leakage, and the stove be elevated above ground level.

John Clark
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

EAA Shack

Last year there was a picnic table over at the EAA volunteer shack on the south side of the homebuilt camping area. That would be a good place to cook up some coffee and enjoy the sunrise. You may even bump into Doug charging up his notebook for the next Airventure post.

...Joe

N40

You oughtta see some of the elaborate campsites up in the North 40. Those guys in the C-206's can haul and bring the kitchen sink and the stove. Sometimes the place kinda reminds of the marketplace just outside the main gate of URTAFB in Udorn, Thailand back in '74.

Steve

Back