What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip: Canopy Cutting Suit

David_Nelson

Well Known Member
I cut my canopy this weekend and like others have written, the process makes a huge mess as the shavings and dust seem to stick to everything! While at Lowes, I bought a polypropylene painters suit for $7. It's a coverall style of clothing so it's easy to put on, take off, and shake out, and it's not too terribly hot.

aal.jpg

Last edited:
Awww, come on, of course we wanted to see you with it and all of your other "protection gear" ON! :). A picture of the package is all we get? Glad you got it cut. It isn't nearly as bad as we all fear the first time around is it?

Pictures?

Awww, come on, of course we wanted to see you with it and all of your other "protection gear" ON! :). A picture of the package is all we get? Glad you got it cut. It isn't nearly as bad as we all fear the first time around is it?

Oh, trust me, there are some pictures. Strictly for "FAA" purposes. Yep, the whole process was pretty painless. Slow-n-easy was the rule and of course plenty of hot weather.

Its the....

You should call it the fiberglass suit..

Plexi doesn't hold a candle to fiberglass when it comes to knowing you cut it that afternoon

You should call it the fiberglass suit..

Plexi doesn't hold a candle to fiberglass when it comes to knowing you cut it that afternoon

Hi Webb,

Oh good grief, I forgot about the fiberglass! <sigh> Guess I'll hang on to "the suit".

You mean to tell me that the cowling, fairings, rudder bottom, and wing tips just don't snap into place?! :D

Take care,

It Snaps

Hi Webb,

Oh good grief, I forgot about the fiberglass! <sigh> Guess I'll hang on to "the suit".

You mean to tell me that the cowling, fairings, rudder bottom, and wing tips just don't snap into place?! :D

Take care,

It snaps right into place....after you cut it...after sand it....after you trim it....after you fit it...after you repeat all above......

Best trick I found for plexiglass was to have someone hold a shop vac by the cutter. If no one around, a potent fan at your back keeps you out of the worst of it (outside of course).

Back