What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

APRS Settings

Phil

Well Known Member
So I've got my parts and I've managed to put all the pieces together.

Now I'm wondering what settings to use. I know they're scattered across a few threads, but there isn't any central thread where you can see everyones settings at one place.

If you've got a screenshot of your settings windows, please paste them to this thread. This wouldn't make a bad sticky later on either.

Phil

Here is my setting for your reference. You may put your tail number as the Callsign and put your Ham callsign in the Status Text box. You may also keep WIDE1-1 in the digi path. It will make home digis and i-gates to put your packet on the net.

tinytrakSetting.jpg

If the above server is down, try link below:
http://picasaweb.google.com/tc1234c/APRS/photo#5217347365461496866

Last edited:
Simple Question

I've been beyond extremely disappointed in the Mircotrack documentation. Thanks for the assistance.

What's the secondary tab used for?

I've been beyond extremely disappointed in the Mircotrack documentation. Thanks for the assistance.

What's the secondary tab used for?

I have pointed out some lapses in the docs to Allen--it seems the trackers evolve so quickly the docs can sometimes run a couple of versions behind. Most effort seems to go into development and production instead of technical writing. The hardware producers assume we already know all the little tricks about the product. Of course we don't since we had never even heard of APRS until last week... ;)

But the little Byonics devices represent a great value, and the purpose of this forum is to fill in whatever gaps appear as we all get up to APRS speed.

Your idea for a tracker config stickie is a good one....we'll see how things progress in that regard.

The secondary config allows you to set up the tracker to fit two scenarios. Primary could be your "normal" settings, while flipping a switch to activate secondary settings could put the tracker into another mode....for instance, "Emergency" mode with specialized text in the status field (Inflight Emergency!--call 555-555-5555) with a different beacon protocol.

Or maybe you use the tracker for aircraft and land-based ops. Primary could be your airborne settings and secondary your automobile settings.

Last edited:
Documentation

I am sorry that you have been "extremely dissapointed" with the Micro-Trak documentation. (that's a phrase I would use to describe the Republican Party's choice of John McCaine as its candidate, or having "24" off the air for a season while Kiefer does jail time....) As you know, the Micro-Trak is based on the TinyTrak 3 chip, and this is where you will find the bulk of the programming information on the Byonics website. There is a fairly complete set of documentation.( it addresses for instance, the issue of the secondary configuration screen) The Micro-Trak and TinyTrak were developed for Ham Radio experimenters, and not as an avionics product per se. The documentation is designed by and for hams.

The Micro-Trak 300 and 8000 are no longer in production, and we won't be doing any upgrades on the docs for those. I will make sure that the Marine/Avionics version of the tracker (similar to our Micro-Trak 8000 FA) has all the instructions compiled in a single volume. Of course, it would take a book the size of the Manhattan telephone directory to cover every aspect of APRS, especially issues such as Digipaths for every application, etc. The VAF forum has probably developed more information about the practical aspects of airborne APRS in a few months than has been gathered in the past few years in other circles.

73, (This is hamspeak for "best regards")

Allen
VHS

Only Send Valid

One setup has and one doesn't in this thread. Best to use or not use?

Oh yeah, I understand the tinker approach for hams. I'm an old extra class of 21 years, so the concept of rolling your own rigs isn't anything new. I didn't expect it to be a turn-key product; though that would be nice and I'm willing to buy a second one as a turn-key and packaged product in the future.

The real issue is that the 8000FA doesn't have any documentation on error codes (128 0), (128 127), etc or troubleshooting. After driving around Houston today, I still haven't reached a single station. Troubleshooting blindly is extremely hard without documentation for troubleshooting & configuration. That's why I'm hoping to copy settings and hopefully find some that work.

It sounds like I need to download the documents for the TinyTrak3 and see if I can find some more detail in there. I've only downloaded the 8000FA documents. I'll get to that in the morning and I'll bet it's the magic piece of the puzzle.

I'm not upset, I just really want to get this thing running before we take off for a 1500NM trip.

It sounds like I need to download the documents for the TinyTrak3 and see if I can find some more detail in there. I've only downloaded the 8000FA documents. I'll get to that in the morning and I'll bet it's the magic piece of the puzzle.

Oh.......I didn't realize you hadn't read the TinyTrak doc (which is clearly referenced in the MT800FA manual...but it sure would be convenient if all applicable docs were in the same download....). In that case I need to modify my agreement with you about the tracker documentation. My observations to Allen were just concerning a couple of minor differences in the MT8000 doc and the version of the board that shipped recently. I found the TinyTrak document to be quite comprehensive.

If you haven't studied the TinyTrak document, you are really in the dark. Error codes of "128 whatever" are more than likely a problem with the serial connection between your computer and the tracker. This was discussed last week:

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=31310

Study the config manual, use a computer with a good 'ol serial port for setting up your MT8000FA, and you'll have your rig running in no time.

Let us know when you launch for the trip. :)

Last edited:
Only Send Valid

One setup has and one doesn't in this thread. Best to use or not use?

It is definitely worthwhile to check "Only Send Valid". Without it, the TinyTrak3 will transmit a position report regardless of the data coming from (or more typically, not coming from) the GPS. This results in bogus position reports when the GPS has not yet acquired the satellites. When I see a station's location near the equator, I know this is the reason :)

This is mitigated by the filtering used by some (but not all) of the Internet APRS tracking sites but it's still pretty common to see bad position reports when a TT3 is first turned on, especially via RF (as opposed to the Internet).

Joe, K7JD

Last edited:
Thanks Sam,

I'll dig through the site today and check out the documents. The 8000FA manual references that it's a hybrid with the TinyTrak3, but I didn't read that as needing to download the TT3 manuals. My fault if I didn't read that correctly. It sounds like it has much of what I'm missing.

On the trip front, we've got two coming up. A fairly short one from Houston to Fredricksburg, Tx. (~175NM, One Way) Leaving Thursday morning and returning Sunday night.

Then comes the biggie two weeks later.

Houston -> Lawton, Oklahoma (Family Reunion)
Lawton -> Amarillo (Visit Palo Duro Canyon)
Amarillo -> Santa Fe (Visit Taos and Red River)
Santa Fe -> Carlsbad (Visit Carlsbad Caverns)
Carlsbad -> Big Bend (Visit the Big Bend Nat Park)
Big Bend -> back two Houston

Should be lots of fun...

Phil

I've finally given up on the MicroTrack and APRS. I've already wasted way too much money to get absolutely no where. I know it works, because I can hear my transmission. But APRS just is not worth the trouble for me.

I've decided to go the SPOT route. Hopefully I can pick one up this evening and have it ready for the trip tomorrow.

If anyone is looking for a new 8000FA, MicroVolt, and flexible antenna; I'll save you a lot of money. I'm headed out of town tomorrow morning, but I should be back Monday.

I'm sure someone will make it work correctly, but that person isn't me.

Just let me know who wants it. I'll make you a great deal.

Phil

Last edited:
MT8000FA config

Study the config manual, use a computer with a good 'ol serial port for setting up your MT8000FA, and you'll have your rig running in no time.

Sam, First, thanks for all the effort you have put into providing us with the "how-to" for getting into APRS.

I have the MT8000FA and the cigar lighter power set up that I am trying to get up and running. The cord from the cigar lighter plugs into the GPS (Byonics) and the connector to the MT8000FA pigtails off of that for normal operation.

My question is when trying to configure, does the computer supply the power needed to configure the unit? Or do I need to provide power (9v to 12v) at the power block mounted on the circuit board (red wire on the +, black wire in the middle)?

For configuring, I will be connecting thru a USB port using my USB/Serial cable that I use to update my Garmin 196 (Byon replied that it MAY work). The Garmin cable is two-part: the USB/Serial cable and the Serial to Garmin cable. I will be using only the USB/Serial cable of course. I suppose Garmin has taken care of any null connection via their cable, but I'm just guessing. I suppose I will need to get a female-female null adapter to place inline between the USB/Serial cable and the MT8000FA.

I have never had an issue updating my Garmin thru the USB port on my computer, so I am hoping I do not have some communication issues as I have read here that others have had.

Thanks for any suggestions/comments!

Mike

Microtrak needs power

Mike - the MT8000 must be conncected to power to program it. Not sure on the Garmin cable, you will just have to try it.

Good Luck!

Sam, First, thanks for all the effort you have put into providing us with the "how-to" for getting into APRS.

I have the MT8000FA and the cigar lighter power set up that I am trying to get up and running. The cord from the cigar lighter plugs into the GPS (Byonics) and the connector to the MT8000FA pigtails off of that for normal operation.

My question is when trying to configure, does the computer supply the power needed to configure the unit? Or do I need to provide power (9v to 12v) at the power block mounted on the circuit board (red wire on the +, black wire in the middle)?

For configuring, I will be connecting thru a USB port using my USB/Serial cable that I use to update my Garmin 196 (Byon replied that it MAY work). The Garmin cable is two-part: the USB/Serial cable and the Serial to Garmin cable. I will be using only the USB/Serial cable of course. I suppose Garmin has taken care of any null connection via their cable, but I'm just guessing. I suppose I will need to get a female-female null adapter to place inline between the USB/Serial cable and the MT8000FA.

I have never had an issue updating my Garmin thru the USB port on my computer, so I am hoping I do not have some communication issues as I have read here that others have had.

Thanks for any suggestions/comments!

Mike

Mike, you are using a combination of cables that I've never tried. Afraid I can't provide any guidance since I don't have a clue how the Garmin cables are wired. Guess you will just have to try them and see how it goes.

If you run into problems configuring via USB, I suggest finding a computer with a serial port and using a simple, homemade null cable (ignore the battery shown, this was for a MT-300 that I modified so it could be powered through the DB-9). Just connect pin 5 on each connector, and also pins 2 and 3, but 2-3 is reversed on one connector, this is the null part of the cable:

tracker-3.jpg

You will need to supply power to the MT8000FA during configuration. Don't know what cigar plug cable you are using but you need 12vdc regulated power for the tracker when it is in your plane. DO NOT connect it directly to the avionics bus. Most of us use the Byonics Micro-Volt power supply.

Good luck and let us know if you hit any snags.

Last edited:
Thanks Sam and Pete!

I made a null cable just fine. I haven't tried to configure yet, but the "Garmin" USB/Serial cable I'll use looks like a generic cable with a small Garmin label wrapped around the cable. Nothing at the serial or USB end to indicate that it was made for them.

As for the cigar lighter power adapter, I wasn't sure if that would power the GPS as well as the MT8000FA, or just the GPS only. If that is the case, then can both the MT8000FA and the GPS be powered from a 12v source wired into the power block on the circuit board (ie, red wire to the '+' and black wire to the middle terminal.)? and just omit the cigar adapter power to the GPS.

Getting there thanks to all your help!

Mike

Thanks Sam and Pete!

I made a null cable just fine. I haven't tried to configure yet, but the "Garmin" USB/Serial cable I'll use looks like a generic cable with a small Garmin label wrapped around the cable. Nothing at the serial or USB end to indicate that it was made for them.

As for the cigar lighter power adapter, I wasn't sure if that would power the GPS as well as the MT8000FA, or just the GPS only. If that is the case, then can both the MT8000FA and the GPS be powered from a 12v source wired into the power block on the circuit board (ie, red wire to the '+' and black wire to the middle terminal.)? and just omit the cigar adapter power to the GPS.

Getting there thanks to all your help!

Mike

It appears the cigar cable powers the GPS only.

The MT-8000FA can supply 5vdc for the GPS so you won't have to use the cigar cable. This is detailed in the tracker manual.

As stated before BE SURE you use 12vdc regulated power for the tracker, NOT a direct connection to your auto or aircraft bus. Aircraft bus can run 13.5-14.5 vdc and that will put the hurt on your tracker.

As stated before BE SURE you use 12vdc regulated power for the tracker, NOT a direct connection to your auto or aircraft bus. Aircraft bus can run 13.5-14.5 vdc and that will put the hurt on your tracker.

Sam: A question for clarification: The MT300 CAN use aircraft bus voltage as I understand it. Agree?

Roger
Tucson, AZ

MT8000FA secondary tab 144.340 frequency

Is there a reason the MT8000FA's secondary tab settings defaults to the 144.340 frequency versus 144.390 in the primary? I want to have a switch so that the "callsign" in the primary is my tail number and the secondary will be my ham call sign, perhaps with a secondary station identification (SSID), such as KJ4FEU-9. Thanks for any comments and suggestions.

Mike

Mike,

144.340 is the most common other frequency used for APRS in North America. There is nothing magical about this, and you can change all the information in any of the fields on the configuration pages.

Allen
VHS

Laymans comments on setup

All,

I've been a ham for too many years and active on APRS since pretty much its creation. I've run many a Digi so I've been keenly interested in the discussion here.

Note at this time, I'm not flying an APRS setup, and when I do it's normally centered around a Kenwood D-7.

But, I'm growing concerned at the setups that I'm seeing used and here's why.

An airplane will benefit hugely from it's advantage of ERP - this being a relatively small transmit power coupled with a usually high antenna and the advantage of complete LOS (line of sight) minus any obstructions between the aircraft and the receiving station.

However, if I read the setup info correctly, you guys are setting your non-smart transmit rate to 120 seconds!!!! that's 2 minutes by my book and I think thats too fast/frequent.

Remember the APRS network is a *relay* network and it's transmit rate is limited by bandwidth. This means that at 1200 baud, even short transmissions that have to be relayed between digi's take a second or 2 for each hop. And most Digis can hear one another and they are also listening to other terrestrial stations. They do have a small buffer whre they can "cache" heards until they are clear to transmit, but all of this delay makes short intervals "clog" up the system with lots of retries.

While that is part of the problem, the bigger problem is the ERP. Most APRS stations us whats called a back off timer, they try to transmit, if they don't detect that they were heard and relayed, they back off some interval and then retry. This usually continues until some threshold is set, then they give up and move on to the next posit. With short TX intervals, and the HIGH ERP that you have in the airplane setup, you are making it impossible for ground based stations to get their information into the network. Now multiply this factor by the LOS advantage of an airplane and you'll know exactly why the cellphone companies use technologies to block cellphones that are heard at multiple cell sites. Remember, whether the digi can decode your packet or not (you are right on the fringe of it's area), you still caused it to pause to listen and that paused everyone else around it.

I would strongly recommend that you set the non-smart beacon rate (Auto Transmit Rate) to at least 5 mins (300 seconds) and preferably 10mins (600 seconds) and allow the smart to beacon at something shorter, but only while maneuvering. There simply is no reason why a packet every 10 mins, when straight and level isn't appropriate. But then this is just my opinion, but I'm sure you'd be more friendly to the APRS network if you adjusted accordingly.

I would also adjust the slow and fast speeds in the Smart setup to account for what is slow and fast in an airplane and not a car, if you think about it, you are always using the Fast rate if it's set at 50mph during smart beaconing as likely you are going faster than 50mph.

Just my .02,

Last edited:
Back