What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New engine?

BSFC not that great

I have data from a production engine that beats their 14.5:1 (stoichiometric) BSFC. It goes as low as 228g/kWh at 2500rpm and it doesn't have anything fancy - just a standard 16V twin-cam (friction!) 1.8L gasoline engine with a really **** stroke/conrod length ratio. If you optimised it properly you could probably drop it another 4-5% without even leaning it...

Nothing wrong with a conrod and a piston. No point in reinventing wheels.

Just in time for it's own demise?

I liked the bit about the piston stroke profile being changable by design of the cam profile.
Like a rotary engine, this is something that can be argued to death and explained away, even while someone makes it work!
In the long run, it may not matter. I just read about the Electra-flyer in the latest issue of Sport Aviation.
1.5 hours of flight for a 70 cent charge! Electric flight might be the ticket, and that Kill-a-whatchamacallit drag bike with Dewalt battery technology sure is fast! The batteries and motors / controllers keep getting better. When they are lighter than an engine with tank-o-gas, they win.....if the recharge does not take too long.......and the batteries last 2000 hours before replacement.

The batteries and motors / controllers keep getting better. When they are lighter than an engine with tank-o-gas, they win.....if the recharge does not take too long.......and the batteries last 2000 hours before replacement.

And they cost equal or less than a Lycosaurous.

And have equal range.

Absolutely.
Results first. Money follows.
But there are less tangible factors, like no carbon monoxide, nearly silent flight, less vibration. Some people will like it.
Someone else is still trying to find a radial that will fit an RV ;)

Back