What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel tank question

Don Patterson

Well Known Member
I am building my wings on my 7a and have a gap of 1/32 between the aft edge of the fuel tank skin and the top skin of the wing. There is no gap from side to side between the leading edge skin and the tank. I did the fishing line trick and found it to be nice and straight. I was trying the ratchet straps and just can't get the gap closed without realy pulling. If I remove the leading edge assembly the tank sits down fine.
Just wondering if any one has come across this problem???

Don

Hi Don--

I asked this same question re: my -9 about 2-3 months ago. I have a 1/64 gap (at most) between main LE and main skins and maybe 1/32 on my tank to main skin gap. This seemed to be pretty common. Also, after speaking to a number of other owners of completed RVs. Paint shops prefer the larger gap between the tank and main skin. If you should ever need to take the tank off after it is painted, having that gap will allow you do so with less likelihood of messing up the joint. I'm sure other builders have found a way to eliminate the gap entirely, but I don't think you'll be the only RV with a little bit of gap there (I spent a fair amount of time looking at this summers' air shows : ) ). Also, though I haven't riveted my top main skins on yet, some builders have indicated that the gap was less once everything got riveted down, even without using straps (which I would be VERY careful about using).

Hope this helps.

Steve

Bob....I literally laughed out loud when I read your response. How true it is!

Anyway...back to the original poster's problem....

I don't know if you've put the spar web to z-bracket bolts in yet...but try that and see if it pulls the tank down. Also...you can check for excess pro-seal interfering with the tank fitting down on the spar. It's especially tight on the inboard end.

Back