What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel Selector Vavle Too Tight!!

A300Driver

I've got the old style brass fuel selector valve on my RV4 that is difficult to switch left to right tank.

Besides buying the upgraded selector valve offered from Vans, what suggestions does anyone have to make the selector an easy, one handed operation?

It's about to the point where I need two hands to switch tanks!

Thanks,

Bob

Last edited:
Disasemble the valve, clean it up with scotch brite and lube with fuel lube and then put it back to gether. Should work find. The new valves from Van's have a plastic cone so never need much attention.

I've still not plumbed my plane so I need some advice on this valve issue. Is the standard valve a piece of crap that needs to be replaced with the Andair unit before I ever begin? I looked inside my valve and it looks like white nylon in there with a brass body. Thanks guys (and Roberta :) )

Steve Zicree
RV4

szicree said:
I've still not plumbed my plane so I need some advice on this valve issue. Is the standard valve a piece of crap that needs to be replaced with the Andair unit before I ever begin? I looked inside my valve and it looks like white nylon in there with a brass body. Thanks guys (and Roberta :) )

Steve Zicree
RV4
The newer ones should work better but if you ever just touch an Andair, there is no turning back. The difference in smoothness of the selection is like night and day.

Also the Andair is clearly marked. I am flying an RV6 with the "standard" selector, and helped a friend replace one of the old brass fitting ones (was getting close to freezing up). The RV I am build has an Andair.

Finally a big plus for the "standard" model is that they have worked on thousands of RVs and are "economically correct". YOu probably can get an emergency replacement from West Marine even.

James

I had a friend crash a Beech 18 after running out of fuel when it became impossible to switch tanks. His required fuel selector broke-off in his hand at altitude. If your fuel selector is that difficult turn, my suggestion is to not fly your plane until the problem is corrected.

Just my two cents.

Back