What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

what airport close to the beach?

Scott Will

Well Known Member
Gearing up for my long X/C in the twin next week. Want to fly somewhere where I can park the plane and walk to the beach. Any such airports in the southeast?

The 250nm rule from KLZU puts me at KCRG (Jacksonville) or KMYR (Myrtle Beach) or possibly down by Destin.

At least the Seminole is not much slower than my plane.

Yes!

It may be a bit farther than you were thinking about, but Ocracoke Island,
(W95) and Billy Mitchell, (HSE) on Hatteras Island are both right beside the beach... but no services. Well worth the extra flight time though.

Craig is about is about a 20 minute car ride to the beach. If you go a little farther, St. Augustine is very close to the Intercoastal (on the west side) but still about a 15 minute car ride to the beach. St. Augustine, "the oldest city in the US" is nice little town to walk around. It's about a 10 minute car ride from the airport.

W95 and HSE are right on beach. But they are a little far for you. Destin is very nice (just came back a week ago). But, you will need a short car ride to the beach (see google map). They charge a $10 landing fee for single (don't know about twin). It is waved with 15 gal of expensive fuel. You do put down red carpet for you, even for an RV.

beach

Destin-KDTS- is a short walk to the beach. Gas is expensive. Beach is gorgeous. happy flying larry

SSI

St. Simons Island, GA (SSI) has great resturants and close to the beach. About a one mile walk or you can rent bicycles right across the street from the airport.

North Myrtle Beach (CRE)

A few short blocks and you will be at the water's edge.

That's the inter costal waterway on the left and the beach is over on the right.

Oak Island (SUT) is a terrific little airport with all the "beach" amenities including a bait and tackle shop and a couple of courtesy cars. Beach is one direction 5 minutes and a terrific intercoastal-side on-the-water seafood restaurant area the other way 5 minutes. Great place to visit. 293 nm almost due east of you.

Have a nice flight, wherever you go!

Regards,

Lee...

Oak Island (SUT) is a terrific little airport with all the "beach" amenities including a bait and tackle shop and a couple of courtesy cars. Beach is one direction 5 minutes and a terrific intercoastal-side on-the-water seafood restaurant area the other way 5 minutes. Great place to visit. 293 nm almost due east of you.

Have a nice flight, wherever you go!

Regards,

Lee...

It is a nice little airport! In-Laws live about 5 minutes from there. Been there several times.

Well, Todd... If you and I would just get our airplanes finished, we could fly there ourselves!!

Lee...

KCDK

St Simons it nice but the beaches are a bit of a pain to get to. They have a courtesy car and are really nice to deal with. Fair amount of good restaurants close to the airport. Watch the local frequencies. A lot of folks get the numbers transposed.

Look at Cedar Key, FL (KCDK). There is a lady there that does the taxi work and she'll pick you up if you call out for her on Unicom as you are coming in to land.

04382sh7.gif

BTW - Don't land short or long!! You can practice your short field technique (2355 feet).

Last edited:
Landing Twin

Just noticed he said "twin". Think he can do a short field in the "twin"?

I haven't been there, but Dauphin Island (K4R9) just south of Mobile, AL is on my radar. It's a littler barrier island and looks very walkable to the beach.

Jamie,

I think you get partial carrier qualification there also, but it is comfortably long. ;)

I haven't been there, but Dauphin Island (K4R9) just south of Mobile, AL is on my radar. It's a littler barrier island and looks very walkable to the beach.

I have never flown there but when I was in the Air Force stationed over at Keesler AFB in Biloxi, MS I used to drive over there and go surfing. A lot of the island was damaged when Camille came in '69. It was a nice quiet beach back in 1987. I believe there is a Coast Guard station at one end. In was fun trying to surf around the old tree stumps in the water.:eek:

St George Island, Fl.

If your looking for quite you might try St. George Island (F47) in the Fla. panhandle. Newly paved runway and security service. St. George Island is known to be Florida B.C. (Before Condos).
Glynn.

Dog Island

Only a short walk from runway to beach (FA43) $10 landing fee, honor system. I have flown in several times in a Six and a Citabria without any problem. If you are not comfortable with Dog Island go to Carabelle just a few miles north. Beaches are only afew miles from Carabelle. Nice paved strip there. Numerous good seafood resturants nearby.
Gerry
RV-9, N92GC
Cub, NC88583
RV-12, N6GC, Wing Finished

Gearing up for my long X/C in the twin next week. Want to fly somewhere where I can park the plane and walk to the beach. Any such airports in the southeast?

The 250nm rule from KLZU puts me at KCRG (Jacksonville) or KMYR (Myrtle Beach) or possibly down by Destin.

At least the Seminole is not much slower than my plane.

Hey Scott,
This is further than you planned.
Try Venice Beach, FL, just south of Sarasota. It's a nice beach known for it's shark teeth. They have a nice restaurant, Sharkys.
It gained fame back from 9-11, as the some of the terrorists trained there at Hoffman aviation.

http://www.airnav.com/airport/KVNC

Back